Big 10 proposes immediate eligibility for transfers

On the second point: Virginia can only have transfers lateral or down-transferring. Because Virginia is a top-tier school, you can’t go up from here.

Look at the Virginia transfers out, like Billy Baron, Jared Reuter, Marco Anthony, BJ Stith, and Marial Shayok. That’s five down-transfers by my count.

2 Likes

Forgot the name of the lefty shooter that transferred to Belmont?

1 Like

I think Marial was more of a lateral transfer but otherwise no argument here

1 Like

[quote=“AdventiveQuasar, post:41, topic:2060”]
The grad transfer data might give us us a little bit of an idea about what to expect with an immediate eligibility rule [/quote]

I doubt it. Grad transfers have, by definition, already graduated, meaning they’ve spent about three years in a college already. They’re rarely looking at professional basketball careers, so their motivation for leaving can be a little less mercenary and more about “where can I best enjoy my last year ever playing competitive basketball?”

The kids looking to transfer under this rule change will have completely different motivations. I think their behavior will also be completely different from grad transfers.

I think this boils down to one thing: it creates an entirely new pool of transfers who are currently deterred by the redshirt rule.

The impatient or underperforming or overperforming or even just generally dissatisfied (“I hate coach” or “My girlfriend left me”) can now bail out. Those guys had to suffer through it (sometimes to their benefit, sometimes to their detriment) or pay the redshirt price. The guys who transfer out now and sit a year really have to make a tough decision. Sitting out a year is hard.

With the new rules, it’s not a tough decision. With no redshirt price to pay, it’s really pretty simple: what’s best for me now? Schools will grease the skids to make the transfer process as easy as possible. And their will be a whole new market and media attention for the transfers.

How big is that new pool of players? Hard to say. But it does mean that coaches will have to adapt to players suddenly having new power.

2 Likes

yea the change in the dynamic would be real for sure.

1 Like

The working group concept would change waiver criteria to allow approvals for first-time four-year transfers in all sports to compete immediately if they:

** Receive a transfer release from their previous school.*
** Leave their previous school academically eligible.*
** Maintain their academic progress at the new school.*
** Leave under no disciplinary suspension.*

The group’s goal is to have the new criteria approved for transfers in the 2020-21 academic year.

1 Like

You guys have made some great points about this transfer rule. I’m not the smartest kid on the block but I knew the transfer market would change considerably. I really hadn’t thought about how much impact this would have on the game. .The impact will be HUGE. Gonna be interesting to see how it plays out

Remember back in 2017 when DeAndre Hunter’s brother asked Santa Claus to help DeAndre leave Virginia?

Because DeAndre had already redshirted, he would have lost a year of eligibility if he transferred. That likely factored into his decision to stay (even though he’s always said he never really considered leaving).

With this new rule, it would be a lot easier for a guy in DeAndre’s position at the time to just leave.

So I think you’re right: the impact will be huge. The NCAA and interested parties think they’re helping student athletes, and maybe they are because it’s obviously not fair to essentially trap them with the current rules. But you also have to consider the long term implications.

If you don’t like one-and-done teams or rent-a-players, you’re really going to hate the new rules. Because these rules are going to make player movement the norm, not the exception.

1 Like

I dont disagree with anything you have said. You are obviously an realist. But for me personally as now a fan I like seeing guys come through Uva and develop, change, get better, mature etc over 3 to 5 years. Have no interest in the overall makeup of the team being 1 or 2 year guys unless they just happen to be so good they have to go to the NBA. My guess is our program agrees on that as well.

3 Likes

Absolutely, I love how UVA runs the program. Best in the country. This will obviously have an impact on us though .I’m sure Tony will adjust without changing the core principles. No compromise on The 5 Pillars!

1 Like

Of course this season we wish the rule was different ha. Hauser for 3!!!

2 Likes

I really don’t think it’ll change that much for UVA. Yeah we’ll lose more transfers but so will others. I think we’ll see Bennett loosen up and bring in some mid major stars in the years ahead, like he tried for the NC-Asheville guard that’s lighting it up at Baylor now.

Where I know it’ll drive Bennett crazy is roster management. I doubt any coach in America is more meticulous with that, and it’s been a big secret of his success. He basically sees the last 2 roster spots as reserved for potential redshirts, with one usually planned. This takes away a big part of that.

1 Like

And a secret of players’ successes. agree

1 Like

A player couldn’t play for four teams in four years. What the Big 10 and the ACC have endorsed is a “one time only” transfer without having to sit out a year. If a player were to transfer a second time, they would have to sit out a year.

This is the first I’ve heard of this. Can you provide more context? Was DeAndre unhappy about redshirting? I thought he took the red shirt in part because of a medical issue.

You’re assuming the current proposed guidelines are the end. What if they’re the beginning? Remember, it used to be true that freshman couldn’t play at all. The game changes. And if you start allowing player movement, what possible rationale can there be for restricting it to just once?

That’s one of those provisions that’s in there to make the transition more palatable.

Old news: DeAndre Hunter’s brother was not telling him to transfer via Facebook - Streaking The Lawn

On the second point: Virginia can only have transfers lateral or down-transferring. Because Virginia is a top-tier school, you can’t go up from here.

This is not true. UVA is a beast when it come tu academics but not the top. We are not even the top in the ACC. Notre Dame, Wake Forest and Duke are ranked higher. Than you have all the Ivy League schools. Than you have USC, CAL, VANDERBILT, STANFORD, RICE, SOUTH CAROLINA and Georgetown off the top of my head. I only know this because I use tu help kids get intu college and academics played a role. So yes UVA is the joint but there are other schools that is the joint also and ranked higher. Nothing tu frown about as UVA fans but I think that the narrative about schools not considered better than UVA is old and not true.

1 Like

Taylor Barnett