Big 10 proposes immediate eligibility for transfers

Forgot the name of the lefty shooter that transferred to Belmont?

Taylor Barnett

nice. thank you. he could shoot

If we are going academics and athletics here Uva at the top. For kids coming out that dont go to NBA only Stanford on par for that list across the board. I just mean for job opportunities after graduation as student athletes

2 Likes

sorry. Duke is there too

1 Like

I mean tu

2 Likes

I think the point about transferring from UVA consisted of a combination of our Academics and Sports program together. You can find many with a better combination

1 Like

Death? No. Certainly will be an adjustment period. But the reality is that with only 13 scholarships, the top teams can only raid so many players. Hard to imagine it’s more than 2-3 per year.

Here’s one big issue no one seems to have mentioned: this will change when players commit. Players don’t like to be recruited over, so now they’ll need to wait until the transfer recruiting season is over. You don’t want to be an early commit anymore.

2 Likes

Like I said weeks ago. It will become the wild wild west. This is a horrible rule. College basketball with all the new changes will never be the same. The sport will become less competetive, interesting and in demand. This season college basketball all around have been awful. The level of quality play and great players have decreased. Im a die hard UVA fan and NEVER missed games. I have tu admit. I wasnt worried about missing our game against BC or against Pitt this Sat. I was the guy that could tell you every player on every ACC team. I only knew three BC players and none interest me. Now you add all the new changes and the game will continue tu be depleted. Its a sad time these days.

This is how you have tu think about it. What if a team take kihei from us. He is no where near the top pg in the country. But he is by far our most important player. Take kihei away and we will start over again and everything we went thru this yr, with him learning and becoming our leader, was all for nothing. So yes Kentucky may only take 2 kids but who they take is the issue. Casey is out of here, if he dont have tu sit out. Just trust me on that. But if he had tu sit out. He would most likely stay and put more thought intu his decision. Huff may say I need a team that run. Im not a half court and post up big. Im 7ft 1 and UVA got me hedging at effing half court. Im going tu Gonzaga where they utilize their bigs like me better. Four years of helping Huff develop is gone. Even tho he could leave anyway next yr. Im just wrapping your mind on how things could go. Justin, Devon and others wanted tu leave UVA but stayed. If they didnt have tu sit out, I truly believe they would have left. But thank Guard they didnt. But what if?

2 Likes

I think im tu real for this site. LOL I will back off. LOL

all good points from TuGuard I think. When remembering these guys are 18, 19 and 20 it is a totally different thing. And yes it will become a wild west in a lotta senses. Also, scholarships used to be year to year renewable for 4 years. Never happened but the school could always tell the player we arent renewing next year. I think that changed a few years ago.

Tu’s point is right however. Almost 90 percent of players have at LEAST in their minds thought about it at one time or another. And it is a very mature decision for that age kid to make.

A few years ago I ran into the dad of an ACC player before games at the Barclays in Brooklyn and we got to talking at lunch. He said his son was not happy with playing time etc and was thinking to transfer. I told him I player at Virginia and understood what his son was thinking. But I said if I were you his dad; do NOT let him leave that school man. Short story long that player won a National Championship and is now in the NBA.

2 Likes

So if they make the change to the transfer rule effective immediately, you say Casey is definitely gone next year??

I dont know anything. Just posting. My bad. The point is, I don’t think its a good rule.

1 Like

This will likely lead to more transfers, and that may hurt Virginia. But you have to look at the bigger picture. CBB is a multi billion dollar industry that profits off unpaid labor. The fact that athletes are punished (yes, there are advantages to redshirting, but for players, being forced to redshirt, the majority of the time it’s viewed as a negative) for switching schools is just another in a long line of NCAA-attempted strangle holding of college athletes. Everybody makes money off of their play - the schools, the NCAA, CBS, ESPN, businesses that purchase advertising - EXCEPT for the players. Isn’t it reasonable that a kid be allowed to make a decision for personal benefit without being punished? At the end of the day, the vast majority of top-tier college basketball players are hoping to make a living off of basketball (in the nba or elsewhere), so if changing schools would help them do that, why punish them? If a student hoping to pursue a career in biotech wanted to change schools because another school’s biotech program would better suit them, they’re free to do so. Why should it be any different for college basketball players? As a UVA fan, yeah it would suck if this means that we lose players like Huff or Morsell, or even Hunter, but there has to be more flexibility in the opportunities for CBB players, especially if the NCCA is going to prevent them from profiting off their own product.

5 Likes

Just for the record. I don’t expect Casey Morsell will transfer if he didn’t have to sit out…and in all probability he wouldn’t need to although we might not know that until about August. I also don’t believe DeAndre Hunter would have transferred. They were frustrated over a brief lack of playing time early in his r/s Fr year, which was quickly resolved when they moved him to the 4 spot. Heck 3 months after all the yelling, he was a projected 1st round draft pick. lol Huff is an interesting case. It’s possible he might have left. While we’ll never know, I tend to believe he would have stayed too. He enjoys the full UVA experience, has a girlfriend here etc. There’s lots of factors outside basketball.

Look I’m sure more players will transfer if this changes, including some that shouldn’t. But again, it will happen everywhere. I think mostly it’ll impact two areas. Guys that would have transferred later, will do so a year earlier. And we’ll see more upperclassmen leaving losing teams or after coaching changes, especially rising seniors. Sitting out a year was not acceptable to the majority of those.

6 Likes

Not many guys willing to do what Sam Houser is doing, sit out a year to only play one.

3 Likes

OMG your are so wrong. I am around kids 95% of my life. Right now as we speak with the old rules in effect. You have players talking tu other players about linking up if they could. You will have Duke go pick a kid from VCU because they need a guard. Even someone like myself could manipulate things. I could say hey player A, UVA need a shooter with size. I will call so and and so and when you decide tu transfer, UVA will take you. Of course all of this is hypothetical. Im.just pointing out just a little bit of the issues. We all know the players should get paid. If you know me, im big on that. But we are not discussing that. We are talking about programs being able to just pluck teams apart and make it an unfair market. This is not my site tu really go intu detail. Plus I know UVA is attached tu this site. But please remove yourselves from the bubble. I could really go deeper intu this but im not. It would be crazy if guys could just leave and schools could pluck players sesson after season. My last comment on this. GO HOOS

1 Like

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. :joy: LRA was founded by former UVA players, yep. That does give us certain access around the program. I loosely say us because that doesn’t really apply to me. I’m about as much an outsider as is possible to cover recruiting, and purposely so. I talk to people around the grassroots basketball community daily, have developed contacts coast to coast. If there’s a “UVA bubble”, this ain’t it.

Appreciate your point of view Tu but sometimes you go a bit overboard. A different point of view doesn’t mean someone is ignorant or living in a bubble.

6 Likes

I say send it all in here. Dont be shy Tu but be ready to respond to everyone else. Great forum we all have going

6 Likes