Blue (Orange) - White Game Gnashing of Teeth

But just because others dont talk about it doesnt mean they wouldnt benefit from it.

And part of why others dont talk about it is because we dont have that rabid fanbase developed because of lack of opportunities like this

4 Likes

Exactly itā€™s a cycle and the only two with the power to break it are Carla Williams and Jim Ryan.

I would guess itā€™s more that itā€™s assumed Bennett is against it, which he is probably is but just because itā€™s seen as an unimportant detail. Iā€™ve learned thereā€™s a lot of things that arenā€™t done at UVA because itā€™s assumed TB wouldnā€™t like it and they go to great lengths to avoid any distractions for him.

If there were truly an overwhelming demand for the game to be streamed, I think it would be done. But that goes back to the observations above that the hardcore fanbase who really cares about this sort of thing is very small.

10 Likes

All true and valid points. Could streaming trainings and scrimmages be good? Sure I would never deny that. Do we know that that good translates to winning games or measurable improvement? Not definitively. Is that a reason not to do it? Depends on who you ask.

The way I look at it as this point is, clearly itā€™s a hill that CTB is willing to die on, and given the lack of impact on the program it actually has, itā€™s not worth it. As someone else said, if people started flooding Carlaā€™s (not CTBs) inbox with petitions asking for streamed BW games, Or some charts with data showing profits/losses, Iā€™d bet weā€™d get a game online. But thatā€™s not happening.

Also you want a rabid fanbase? Win. the other stuff is good and it builds hype and interest, but it will all go away if the team is 10-20 and Dave Leito is at the helm. You can look to our football team for that, rapping and hip hopping all over the lawn and then going 6-6, no one showed up at the stadium for the halftime rap battle of coaches.

Edit: Am I in a strange vortex when Iā€™m in agreement rational agreement with @HoozGotNext

3 Likes

We streamed it and won the natty.

We didnā€™t stream it and lost to Ohio in the first round and then lost Navy and JMU on our way to the NIT the next season.

Its just science lol

11 Likes

We won 2014-2019. JPJ still has been lackluster the following years.

Programs like Michigan football, even when they were horrible they were selling out. Fan Culture and fandoms is built on winning but its also built on access.

2 Likes

Damn maybe they should have given you the econ Nobel prize today instead

5 Likes

Access is the seasoning to the main course of winning. Itā€™s nice and makes it fun, but without the meal all your left with is a handful of salt.

4 Likes

Why Dont We Have Both GIF

(There are like 50+ ā€œwhy not bothā€ gifs on this website ā€“ thatā€™s awesome)

Also:

• I actually do like salt without meat, but Iā€™m a weirdo
  • And when we make this comparison, itā€™s just kind of obvious: salt without meat doesnā€™t really work, but adding salt to meat is generally considered an enhancement, as with most things, in moderation.
5 Likes

LRA regulars when theyā€™re told they canā€™t stream the blue-white game:
Angry I Can Do It GIF by hero0fwar

Most UVA fans when told they canā€™t stream the blue-white game:

Who Cares Tommy Lee Jones GIF

7 Likes

This is incredibly idiotic. You canā€™t possibly believe this.

Hard to care about something you assume is unavailable.

Question? Because Tony is a closet rat so they donā€™t bother him (a bit different from K who was an out of the closet rat who was bothered by everything) or because everyone understands that if CTB is distracted from coaching the team, he may consider NOT coaching the team? You know, the whole inquiring minds want to know sort of response would be helpful for me to decide which I might prefer - more media visibility and no Tony, or less media engagement and Tony as coach? Gonna have to ponder that for a bit.

Yeahā€¦I feel like thereā€™s some white space between a) tony being a rat and b) tony will pull a bronco at the merest suggestion of something he doesnā€™t like but hey maybe heā€™s a rat.

3 Likes

Fify. And from where I sit thatā€™s a problem Carla and Kastra should be spending 20 hours a weeks trying to fix. Not use it as an excuse to have less fan engagement than peer athletic departments.

1 Like

CTB ainā€™t chicken shit like Bronco

CTB will leave us sooner than later but it will be Roy Williams style.

3 Likes

College Basketball Dancing GIF by UNC Tar Heels

(we also have Roy Williams gifs ā€¦ this may have been the worst thing I did on the internet today ā€¦ sorry everyone)

3 Likes

Lol Iā€™d be so happy if CTB walked into a presser like that and announced his retirement. The joy of that image would make me forget that heā€™s leaving

3 Likes

I canā€™t wait until UVa hires someone off Dave Leitos coaching tree, with Kihei as the top assistant and they live stream the program 24/7 real world style. But the team is 7-25

9 Likes

I know Fred would be stoked. I also know our program would descend more or less immediately into irrelevance. My only consolation would be that I could finally stop investing so much of my free time into the hopeless black hole that is uva sports.

3 Likes