CALEB HOUSTAN

Thoughts? Opinions? Discussions? Will we make his top four?

HGN has already said we are very likely to make top 4 but that Bama probably leads due to relationships of current and potential future teammates

3 Likes

Think we get juzanged on this one. Get your hopes up at your own peril.

3 Likes

And how would that happen? Juzang was all but set to come to UVA as a reclass in 19 until UK swooped in at the last moment. The likely scenario is we are the blueblood in his final 4, so don’t see any similarity in these recruitments. Even if Duke or UNC is in the final 4 and were the pick both have been recruiting him a while

1 Like

Who do you think will be in his final 4?

Thanks Foresthoo! I was just getting some conversation started because I think we have been sleeping on this recruitment a little. Everyone expected Caleb to wait till spring but this may move quickly. Could this be similar to JAR’s recruitment.

1 Like

I just know what I read from HGN and others but it sounds like Bama, UVA, Mich and maybe UNC

3 Likes

Exactly! Kentucky went all in late when they had an opening.

I agree, and appreciate you starting the thread. The fact he’s coming out with the list and maybe signaling signing next month def perked my attention. Like all the other recruitments we are in at the moment we’re going to have to overcome relationships with other schools that run deeper. You never know, like you said JAR, which kids CTB can get in deep with and have that single player/coach bond win the day. I know nothing about the kid as a person so you never know…

2 Likes

That’s the four that I’m thinking it will be. Like Murray, I think we have a better chance with Houstan than most people. Honestly, I think we have a better chance with Houstan than Keels. If we were to get Houstan, I can see us holding on to the last scholarship and / or seek a more traditional 4 / 5, leaning to the 5. Possibly even a sit one year transfer. However, I don’t see us giving up on Kaufman unless it drags out. If we get Houstan, I could see a commit-able offer soon for McNeeley. However, he’s blowing up. Will he wait? I think we will see soon.

3 Likes

I agree! Well-stated! I think we may have a deeper relationship with Houstan than any other program other than Alabama. However, UVA has a lot going for it. I also think that the offer to Bediako is somewhat telling. I think getting Murray has provided some options and leverage.

1 Like

The only similarity I’m talking about is disappointment if you get your hopes up. I have no info, and didn’t mean to draw any real comparison other than that. Not trying to cause drama or rain in your parade, so apologies if I did so. I personally am just not going to get invested in this one.

I would also note that both players are tall, so that is another similarity.

4 Likes

It all depends how involved Bennett has been with Houstan. I have yet to see where he has had much involvement, just Williford has been front and center. And if what I mentioned is true, there is no way there is more of a shot with Houstan than Keels. If Bennett hasn’t been involved, UVa is probably nothing more than window dressing.

3 Likes

I don’t think UVa has offered Bediako, only checked in with him.

1 Like

That’s how I take it. I also think he is a long shot as he has already announced a top ten.

There’s a point in which Bennett gets involved.

1 Like

Does anyone have a scouting report on Houstan? What are his strengths outside of shooting? What positions can defend? Closer to the Klay Thompson or Dre Hunter mold?

More polished and better shooter than Dre at same stage.

1 Like

I went back and watched some youtubed full games a few nights ago. Let me explain first that there are almost two versions of Houstan, the Montverde role player and the CIA Bounce/Team Canada star. I think that’s why you get very different takes on him, dependent on where people see him.

With Montverde, he defends the four spot 90% of the time, and offensively he pretty much just flaots on the perimeter for catch and shoot opportunities. They have far better options to create, and they get him wide open looks, which is why he shot 53% from 3.

Watching him with the Canadian 16U team last summer was a real eye opener. You start to understand the Klay Thompson comparisons. It’s still all about shooting but he can get it on his own too. Lots of step backs, getting into the lane for mid range pull ups. Very skilled, efficient with his dribble, knows who he is. Uses his size extremely well. He got up 23 shots against the US team. He’d just set a ball screen at the top over and over, so they could put him in pick n pop isos. Tough to stop like that. Played the 3/4 with about an even split defensively. Wasn’t great to be honest. He’s not real explosive, but does seem to be plenty agile. I think he’ll end up a really good defender if he wants to be but he’d definitely struggle to defend ACC guards right now.

3 Likes

Doesn’t sound like a one and done but could really improve his stock with TB teaching him defense to complement his offensive skills. Of course you could probably say that about a lot of potential recruits.

3 Likes