🤖 ChatGPT & AI Discussion

Also RIP the security of future PR jobs I guess. Im sure there is more involved than just releasing generic statements… but AI is coming for us all.

4 Likes

I’ve got a friend who’s done a variety of things, including being a freelance artist and a publisher. He said AI has annihilated his freelance artist work, and feels extremely conflicted about using AI-generated art when publishing stuff, but he kinda scrapes by with that (its not his day job) and can’t afford not to use it on his projects. He 100% recognizes the conflict there but has no idea how to resolve it.

A future in which humans dig ditches while AI writes poetry and creates art seems… I mean, is it really dystopian if it also seems inevitable?

5 Likes

Don’t wanna get Soap Boxy here but AI is coming to all industries and it will disrupt all industries. Majority of white collar jobs and blue collar jobs are at high risk of automation and elimination in the medium run. Creative jobs are in the cross hairs too. See what is happening across Hollywood and music and art. Best we can do is find a fair mechanism to share the spoils of AI with society and to find meaning in other constructive activities instead of old fashioned 9 to 5 work.

3 Likes

Also, AI would certainly have done a dramatically better job of reffing that game last night. Give AI access to the rule book and all the camera angles … I am dead serious.

8 Likes

I want to see Kenny Payne vs ChatGPT in a “Who can better game plan for a college basketball game” competition. Like genuinely.

6 Likes

The irony is that AI is already being used to generate code so the very software engineers that helped create this technology may be made redundant by their creation. Ouroboros all over again!

3 Likes

Yeah. And a “Dune” situation seems WAY more plausible than it did even a few years ago. Also, as I periodically bring up, Vonnegut’s “Player Piano” isn’t one of his better books overall but for being written in 1952 it was tremendously prescient in various ways, including the impact of mass-automation on society and professionalism creeping into college sports.

The Expanse also does an interesting job of painting a picture of “What does society do when you’ve got billions more people than you have productive work for?” though I suspect it would have come across very differently if they’d started the series just a LITTLE later and gotten a better look at social media. Make them all Amazon drivers and Social Media Influencers and boom they’re all employed. I sometimes wonder if those two groups have grown enough to cause the labor market distortions we’ve seen recently.

Edit - Key sentence from the wikipedia entry for “Player Piano”: “The widespread mechanization creates conflict between the wealthy upper class, the engineers and managers, who keep society running, and the lower class, whose skills and purpose in society have been replaced by machines.” Also, I never realized it was Vonnegut’s first novel.

6 Likes

We’ve all been living in a simulation for decades the machines are just now revealing themselves as a means generating confusion and spreading distrust.

As someone who works in Comms in the political realm. AI is brought up often and in heavy rotation. The influence over the next election cycle will be undeniable.

2 Likes

Add NC State

Well, this is not the conversation I expected when I opened this thread.

2 Likes

Dragon, I am coming around to the simulation hypothesis for many reasons. Double-slit experiment, quantum entanglement, real-life experiences, et. al. Fascinating and highly disorienting age is coming upon us.

2 Likes

I enjoyed this episode talking about AI editing if anyone’s interested in a non-UVA podcast

Sorry, I prefer google podcasts because you can toggle speed from .5-3x by every 0.1

1 Like

This one too… talking about the music industry and how they are freaked out…

This is part 2… believe there are 3 parts if I remember… they had an AI build out a podcast from different info…

2 Likes

Humanity is fucked.

8 Likes

Always a nice change of pace when you surprise us with a bout of optimism WFS :joy:

3 Likes

This is the greatest time to be alive. We’re living on the edge of our seats, embracing everything that comes our way before the octopus lords come back to claim what is there.

family guy GIF

https://twitter.com/FOS/status/1729250533121147140

4 Likes

You guys probably think @JBHoo is real.

13 Likes

That’s interesting, but I’m pretty sure Sports Illustrated actually ceased to exist a few years ago. For me, the moment SI ceased to exist was when I read that Austin Murphy was peeing in a gatorade bottle, delivering boxes for Amazon.

2 Likes

At least ESPN attributes their AI generated content to AI. Haha.

2 Likes