Clemson game thread (Tues 7pm)

On-Off helps with this a little: opponents take 36.7% of their shots at the rim with Shed in, 31.8% with Shed out. They shoot much worse at the rim with Shed in, which lines up with intuition; 50.5% at rim with Shed in, 56.2% with him out.

I don’t have an explanation for why opponents shoot more at the rim with Shed in though. I will say that the on-off numbers paint a slightly counterintuitive picture that Shed has a bigger impact on the offense than defense, and mostly through lineups with Shed shooting much better at the rim and from 3 than lineups without.

4 Likes

This second point is one I’ve been beating the drum about for a while re: Shedrick that is far less understood about him than his rim protection. He’s not an individually skilled offensive player - but he does command attention and can finish easily when he gets the ball close with an advantage.

Teams don’t switch off of him. Teams stay at home on him near the rim. Teams often send help when he has the ball near the rim, which allows for effective kick outs and he is a good passer. He also demands the largest defender which is great for Gardner who often draws that player when paired with Dunn or BVP. He’s also a good foul shooter.

He’s a very complimentary piece that helps to grease the offense despite not being effective at all at creating his own shot. He doesn’t need to be.

To be clear, I’d love for him to be - but I think people get far too caught up in what he isn’t without realizing how much he still helps.

16 Likes

Yeah let’s not get all crazy and bench all four of our two and three star guys at the same time

2 Likes

That’d be Diakite R32 against Florida vibes.

No way our starting line-up changes at all

2 Likes

I’m hoping we win but not by a lot so our NET goes down to 31 and UNC will have no quad 1 wins again.

7 Likes

Clemson has scored more than 90 in 3 of their last 4 games.
They are 2nd in the nation in FT % and shooting 83% in ACC play.
They lead the ACC in 2 Point shooting at 56%.
They are shooting threes on the season at 37% - though a bit lower in ACC play.
They made at least 9 threes in 6 of their last 9 games.
They are also #1 in the ACC in FG defense allowed at 40.5% and #1 in 2 point FG defense.
They do allow a lot of FT attempts at 18 per game - but that probably hurts us at this point.

4 Likes

This is great info man

Hoos favored by 6?

2 Likes

So I assume we’ll start Jayden on Tyson, which I’m actually ok with, but BVP on Hall gives me major pause. Hall is far to quick for him. Thoughts?

3 Likes

We should have Dunn on PJ.

4 Likes

Tyson starts at the 3 - so it will likely be Franklin.

PJ Hall is a problem.

2 Likes

PJ Hall is going to cook BVP every moment he guards him.

5 Likes

Well TB won’t put up with that. Horn sounds then in comes Ryan.

3 Likes

Very surprised we are favored by 6.5 … and the line doesn’t seem to be moving much.

I get those are what the metrics say but doesn’t account for recent trends. Weird.

3 Likes

Hemmingway the dude thats been hurt? He was dangerous if I recall correctly

Really? Nance was cooking and Ryan didn’t come in until 4 minutes left in the half and only played 7 minutes

2 Likes

Yes struggled to get healthy all year … when healthy best shooter in the Acc
46 Percent from three even with all the injuries

1 Like

Gotta believe that was a sarcastic response.