Clemson game thread (Tues 7pm)

Clemson’s last 6 games are a total rollercoaster. They blew out FSU (by 40!), Cuse, and NC State. They got beat by double digits by UNC and Lousville (!). With a close loss to Miami sprinkled in. No rhyme or reason…

5 Likes

Welcome to the stretch run in the 2023 ACC. Strap in and hold on.

7 Likes

Which one?

That TB won’t put up with BVP getting cooked. He absolutely puts up with it lol

1 Like

Free money.

2 Likes

Yes hilarious… or sad … not sure which… so weird how he plays favorites with small unathletic dudes.

what does playing favorites even mean. are you literally saying he just likes guys so he plays them even though he knows we will have less of a chance of winning?

6 Likes

At this point in the season the lines dont mean much in my opinion.

Clemson unlike most Clemson teams in recent past is a good offensive team. They are still very solid on D too. Per kenpom in conference play, we are #1 in D and #10 in O, Clemson is #2 and #5 respectively.

In conf play Clemson is 10th in 3P% at 34.6% and we are 5th at 35.5%. Of course we are falling rapidly. in 2P% Clemson is 1st and we are 13th (oof). Clemson 1st in FT% and we are 14th (oof).

I think the keys are forcing some Clemson turnovers they are 10th in conference play % wise and hope the refs dont call it tight. And we are going to have to shoot better (Captain Obvious). This isnt a game I think we win 58-56, I think we are going to have to get into the mid to upper 60s at minimum. I think we stick Franklin on Tyson which could be a problem with Tyson’s height but is better than Gardner or BVP. BVP is going to have to force Hall out from the basket. Beeks will need to shut down Chase Hunter.

Tough matchup, but since it is at home I think we come out focused and hungry and win 68-62.

6 Likes

Here’s an example:
Player A goes 0-5 on FG’s with zero assists and zero turnovers
Player B goes 1-3 on FG’s including a 3 with 2 assists and 2 turnovers

Player A allows his opponent to go 6/9 from the field with no turnovers and 3 assists but is generally in position defensively
Player B allows his opponent to go 2/7 with 2 turnovers, gets lost on 2 plays that resulted in the 2 made shots, and gets 2 steals.

Certain coaches don’t have the appetite for Player B.

2 Likes

Have folks seen this? Cory on PBP and Bonner doing color?

3 Likes

I remember that. Tony playing some unathletic kid named Ty Jerome his first year. Annoying. I sure hope he saw something we didn’t, not just a blind bias in small unathletic players because … reasons.

I’m being intentionally snarky but to draw a point … fine if you think Bennett doesn’t play the optimal line ups. I don’t always. But to have a useful conversation let’s not pretend it’s because he has some inherent bias for a certain “type” of player over what he thinks is a winning formula. It’s reductive and assuming and silly.

1 Like

Would sincerely like to hear your take on why we have 1 - four star player in the current starting lineup?
We have 7 of them on the roster.

4 Likes

Really has Cory done PbP? That also feels like an odd pairing.

2 Likes

Apparently he has (I read elsewhere), but not that I’ve seen. Im intrigued by the pairing, but I like Bonner more than most. Maybe special for Terry Holland? I think Bonner predates Holland though, doesn’t he?

4 Likes

Totally makes sense for Coach Holland yes

I think Coach Holland had Mr Bonner 1 or even 2 years.

3 Likes

Gotcha, I’ve not seen Cory do it, but ESPN did strange things back in the day so who knows. I’m not a Bonner fan, but pretty sure he was before Coach Holland. Either way could see the UVa connection, but would still think they want an experienced PbP person on the call.

Edit: I stand corrected according to @DFresh11

1 Like

If neither Shedrick nor Dunn start I’m tempted to not watch. I feel like I’ve seen the movie twice in a row of what happens against dominant bigs when we play the small ball starting 5

3 Likes

Yup, looks like Bonner’s senior season (74-75) was Holland’s first. And they would’ve overlapped a few years when Bonner was the women’s coach.

1 Like

He did PBP in an ACC game this year, can’t remember which one. It actually kinda fits him given his propensity for talking lol.

4 Likes

Heh true, he is never at a lost for words. Guess it actually works out that it’s a UVa game the slower pace will give him more opportunity to put himself over and not be distracted by calling the action.

1 Like