Coach Mox recruiting domination

ha ha - I had to guard Zwikker in a JV hoops game at UVA when he was at Harker. I’m only 6’3". It didn’t go well, either…

2 Likes

My Serge story is when I was a 3rd year, UNC came to play us. My buddy and I had seats on the baseline so we were talking with Vince Carter, Antwan Jamison, and some of the other players. As an aside, the UNC players were fun to talk smack with. Especially Vince. They interacted with the students. Duke players were all business and wouldn’t acknowledge anyone. Anyways, as they were heading back to the locker room, I yelled at Serge that “Chase is going to work you tonight”. He turns towards my buddy and me, looks around, and mouths “Chase sucks”. We lost it. It was so funny.

10 Likes

Nothing but good vibes coming from this program.

17 Likes

If Sam can play as good as she looks the women’s team is going to make some noise this year. Did you guys see the picture of her on IG that was taken on media day? Wow, she got this old man stirred up

5 Likes

Sam’s not the only one!

1 Like

Guess i better go check them all out

3 Likes

Watched this earlier today. Love Coach Mox attitude. Said everything you want to hear from a new coach coming in to save a program.

7 Likes

Can she take over and give TE’s pressers from now on?

4 Likes

He could take some notes. That’s also the difference in experience. Mox has been there done that.

2 Likes

As long as she’s taking over, why limit it to pressers?

3 Likes

Culture consultant…

2 Likes

Every new coach is a conquering hero before the first game. Talk to me when she’s taken some Ls

3 Likes

I love everything about her but let’s check-in again when she’s played a few games.

2 Likes

Not sure what she’d have to do to attain the same vibe that football has right now. The team hit rock bottom as a program last year and so has really no expectations. She has some returning talent and incoming transfers to make some modest improvement, and already has some top shelf recruits coming to the program for the future. She also has successful experience as a head coach. She’d really have to screw things up for everyone to feel moribund after this season.

8 Likes

She’d have to go 0-10 out the gate to be worst. She took over a dead program. The fact that there is any noise around it other than “when will they fire the coach?” questions is a step in the right direction. She’s also jumped out and got TOP recruits coming in as well as legit transfer vets looking to make an impact. These are all things the football team was slammed for not doing last season. Time will tell if that translates to wins, but it’s a great start.

11 Likes

This has to do with the Elliott convo we had over the last couple weeks. Mox is an experienced coach taking over a bad program. Elliott is an inexperienced coach taking over a mediocre / meh / okay-ish program. The consensus seemed to be that the latter is a tougher job (and I agree).

8 Likes

Experience is invaluable in these situations. Not to make this a football thread, but had the thought the other day, when it comes to Elliott and Brent who is also struggling. They coached under a controlling HC and did not get a lot of practice at media. I have to think that plays a role as well. Again Coach Mox has a track record and experience to lean on.

5 Likes

Yeah. Its worth noting that Coach Mox was only head coach at Southwest Missouri State for 3 seasons but they were three really strong seasons. Missouri State has historically had a strong women’s hoops program. From 1991 to 2001 they made the NCAA tournament 10 times in 11 seasons, including trips to the Final Four and later to the Sweet Sixteen. But Coach Mox’s Covid-shortened 23-3 second season (including a trip to the Sweet Sixteen) was probably the 2nd best season in team history.

Edit - An interesting story is that Cheryl Burnett, who was head coach during that impressive run in the 90s, left after the 2002 season to take over as head coach of Michigan’s womens’ team. And they just got slaughtered during her 4 years there, going 35-83 and 10-54 in the Big Ten. And they weren’t an awful team before or after, going to the WNIT two years before Coach Burnett arrived and the year after she left. Kinda weird.

4 Likes

Hoos stacked; league f*cked

5 Likes