Coaching Carousel Thread

Roy Williams announces retirement

3 Likes

Dadgummit, they might hire someone who can actually beat us!

4 Likes

April Fools!!!

Guess those rumors from last week were more than just rumors. Always thought he was a classy guy and a good representative for UNC (academic scandal notwithstanding).

Step on up Wes Miller!

7 Likes

No it’s not

Gotta think they’ll swing much much bigger than Wes initially

2 Likes

While I know it’s almost certainly not going to happen, if Brad Stevens turned down the Indiana job and then took the UNC job, the state of Indiana might literally implode.

2 Likes

I have a bit of a soft spot for Roy, might even miss him a little bit. Didn’t hurt that we had his number of late!

13 Likes

One of the best to ever do it

3 Likes

I think they stay in the UNC family…Hubert Davis? Wes Miller?

Forget Few or Wright, those guys are on the backend of their careers. My first calls would be Scott Drew and Nate Oates. I wouldn’t want to see either in the ACC

3 Likes

Man I honestly thought Roy would be a lifer on the sidelines. Hope all is well wit him.

Now the big questions who steps in to fill the job? Got to imagine the school has someone in mind, especially with all the money and effort recently put into the football program, I can’t imagine they are content with letting the basketball program get a lower tier coach.

4 Likes

Roy quelled my long-time hate for UNC. I really grew to admire him and his program! He has recruited some kids that have also shared a mutual respect for our program within the rivalry, without the venom.

12 Likes

I edited the title @HOOS

Let’s try to keep the postseason coaching talk here and leave the transfer/recruiting threads for that.

1 Like

As I said in the other thread, I have to imagine Texas just overpaid to lock up Beard after the Roy news came down. No way those two things happened in isolation.

Beard’s buyout $ dropped today as I recall.

4 Likes

Hope it’s not Nate Oats.

3 Likes

He was - he’s 70

I wonder if Ol’ Roy’s timing could impact Kessler, too. If they lose Kessler, Sharpe, and Sterling Manley (granted, injuries held him back, but he’s a beast), that leaves only Bacot inside - and maybe Brooks if he decides to take the extra year.

Anybody have any thoughts on whether Kessler might decide to stay depending on whom they hire?

True i was thinking more JoePa or Bobby Bowden. Or Boheim Roy’s 70 but didn’t show any signs of ahe/wear n tear

1 Like