Coaching Carousel Thread

I think Boeheim’s retiring when his son finishes.

5 Likes

That makes so much sense that the old curmudgeon probably won’t do it just to be a contrarian.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the upcoming season is Coach K’s last.

2 more years until his grandson finishes

2 Likes

Apparently UNC players did not know of Roy’s decision before yesterday

1 Like

Mine too. UNC was my most hated team for years but Duke eventually took that role over. Dadgummit, I liked Roy .

3 Likes
14 Likes

I just watched Roy Williams’ press conference.

First, it was an awesome watch.

Second, a direct quote from Roy: “Oh my gosh, what a coach Tony Bennett is.”

Just a reminder for some folks about how lucky we are.

13 Likes

Pretty hilarious that Rasheed Wallace is listed at +3million instead of being lumped into “the field”

9 Likes

I would pay money to see Rasheed Wallace as a coach of a major program.

8 Likes

He has a $10M buyout

Sheed currently is coaching a boys high school team at a public school in Durham. Just completed his second season I believe. I live in Durham and have wanted to go watch a game just to see him get a couple of techs and get tossed.

I grew up in the north before going to UVA. I have always been a Pistons fan and loved Sheed when he played for them.

4 Likes

I would bet on the field.

1 Like

I loved that whole Pistons team, with Ben Wallace being my favorite. Was awesome to see a true team with no real superstars (I know Hamilton and Billups were great, but still) truly dedicated to team defense win a championship… Now that I think of it, maybe the fact that I’d end up loving Tony’s brand of UVA basketball was obvious all along.

2 Likes

Agree entirely. They were a bunch of castaways from other teams who played great together. Loved Ben Wallace too. Billups was my favorite though.

2 Likes

Yup. Maybe he’s already been a lifer…came back to UNC after lots of accolades and it done now.

Remember how Dean Smith (the guy, not Terry Holland’s dog) suddenly retired?

3 Likes

For sure. I don’t think there is much else for Roy to do as a coach in college basketball. In my head he always had that Larry Brown or Jim Boeheim thing where he really loved coaching basketball and was going to keep grinding at it no matter what. Not questioning his commitment or if that’s even a healthy mindset.

May you’re right and he’s just following in his mentors footsteps and getting out on his own terms.

I’m surprised he went out on such a low note with the last two seasons

3 Likes

I listened to Roy’s full press conference on his retirement this morning. Before hearing that, I thought that some of the UNC transfers might be the product of knowing that he was looking at retirement. While that still might be true or partially true, after listening to the press conference, it seemed more like the transfers may have helped push him into retirement. He kept saying that he “no longer feels like he is the right person for the job” after these past two seasons. He said multiple times that he could not get his players to buy in like they did before. I’ve always respected Roy so I’m disappointed if he didn’t retire when he truly was ready.

12 Likes

I noticed that as well. That’s a tough position to be in. Fathertime is 99-0 and he will always tell us when it’s time to retire. There’s definitely evidence that Roy’s approach has not worked as well over the past few years. It likely came down to a personal choice of does he work to change his approach to match the current environment or does he stick to his guns and risk more frustrating seasons. For a guy who’s used to winning at a high level, those losses have to hurt and wear on him.

7 Likes