Coaching Carousel Thread

I definitely think the complaints from Bacot and some others about his system influenced things. The players on this year’s UNC team just aren’t as good as the 2017 team. The difference is many of them think Roy’s system is holding them back from the NBA. When the players start blaming systems and coaching decisions during the season you have issues. They just never had the buy in from the start. We will see how the do for their next coach but Roy deserved better.

8 Likes

Well I think UVA experienced a little bit of that this year as well. Tough year.

7 Likes

Agreed i think Virginia definitely had some of that. Had a coach who compared it to being on a bus. Needs guys on the bus who all want to get to the same destination and leaders up front and driving to keep it on track. When guys start questioning and wanting off things get tricky

4 Likes

Also think this year’s UNC team wasn’t that far away from being kind of good. If any of their guards besides Walton could shoot the three and if Caleb Love’s shooting numbers weren’t just absolutely terrible, could have been a different season for them.

6 Likes

I thought they were poised for a run in the tourney they were trending up. Also thought they were going to be a handful next season before all this

3 Likes

Yeah, UNC could have been beastly next year. And they still might be good, but its a lot less likely.

2 Likes

Locking him in while investigations are ongoing and other teams aren’t seemingly hunting for him is certainly a choice.

3 Likes

That’s a vote of confidence if I’ve ever seen one. Also an odd choice, not sure I’ve ever heard his name circulated for a job.

1 Like

Yep that’s a massive middle finger to the NCAA

2 Likes

Not to mention the contract stipulates that they can’t fire him for cause for anything he did prior to executing the contract. And he’ll only make $124,000 a month during any suspensions he receives.

5 Likes

Man, I wish I could be punished and receive $124,000 a month.

5 Likes

That’s insane. I need an agent like that hook me up @PhonyBennett

taxpayer money or nah?

Apparently the Carolina board thinks Tony may be a true consideration…

1 Like

That kind of thing is what led Beilein to try his disastrous NBA jump.

Am I crazy? I just don’t really understand why this is even a discussion on boards. Maybe I’m being too dismissive of UNC’s brand, but Tony is at another ACC school, has no personal or family ties to UNC, has beaten down UNC for years, and already has a national title at his current school. UNC can debate all they want whether they’d ever want to offer it to him given his style versus what they generally prefer, but why would he take it? He isn’t motivated my mountains of money. I could see him taking over Wisconsin, retiring, or trying to move to the NBA before I could see him taking over UNC.

I’ll eat crow obviously if he does, I just don’t get it.

7 Likes

All BS aside. what was everyone doing when Fresh was deciding between The University of Virginia and Arkansas State? Transistor radios?

10 Likes

I agree 100%, can’t see it at all…1 poster even mentioned how CTBs statement “sounded different” than other coaches, lol…

1 Like

I’m surprised they’re even saying positive things about him. They all hate his style.

If he did go to Carolina, he would get any player he wanted for him system that’s for sure. He’d be a juggernaut.

Oh, many said they would rather lose than have CTB…not all though…