Crucial Spring Decisions for UVA (Blog)

12 Likes

Anyone that wasn’t regularly in the rotation or has underperformed their own expectations on the court are at risk to varying degrees. There are several.

Stating the obvious: McCorckle, Murray, Milicic, Caffaro (?)

Everyone else is either graduating (Kody) or were regularly in the rotation (Clark, Beekman, Shedrick, Gardner, and Franklin).

1 Like

Virginia is an unusual position with the 2023 class. Other than London Johnson, there aren’t any serious targets left.

Can they just call it a sunk cost at this point and plan to commit to hitting the portal next year for ‘23 needs - unless it’s LJ or a potential OAD type.

Yeah load up the 2023 class with 2022 stud first years who can transfer here but then can’t transfer out immediately without sitting out. Also get more proven college production lol.

1 Like

I think it could be Shedrick instead of Caffaro (no inside knowledge but based on the wording of the quote you highlighted)

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t know how to feel about the fact that we’re basically not seriously involved with any other '23s. We absolutely need that class to be good (or supplemented with transfers of guys who have at least two, but preferably three years of eligibility remaining). We can’t just land one good player in London Johnson.

My hope is that with a more normal full recruiting calendar, Tony will be able to find some of the late bloomers he loves and who have done well here in the past. But I’d be lying if I said I weren’t a bit antsy. We can’t do the thing where we just don’t get a real class and everyone says “well with the 2022 class, it was always going to be hard to land guys since playing time might be hard to come by.”

5 Likes

I think, in bugging the everliving shit out of @HoozGotNext , they are wanting to find 2023 bigs and guards who can reclass and redshirt since it’s impossible to have a normal redshirt these days and they still want redshirts to develop players. Players that have mentioned UVA initial contact already, like Silas Demary Jr. and Al Amadou, fit this mold. The only question, regardless of who it is, is will there be roster openings for those 2023s to reclass into to redshirt.

How many kids are actually doing that though? I know our staff may want to do it, but are the really good recruits down for that? I legitimately don’t know - so not just trying to be negative. Am honestly curious.

1 Like

This would be my reason for optimism, that TB can pull off another summer blowup recruitment like Ryan Dunn.

2 Likes

Al Amadou they were looking at for 2022 so I believe he would do it if offered. No idea on Demary or Dilione but they are both studs/will be hard to get just regularly (they are both going to blow up this summer…not literally blow up though). Im sure there are other names

1 Like

I think it also helps that half of the 2023 class are kids who can reclass to 2022 in general. Just the way it is lol plus kids dropping down to 2023 due to lack evaluation to get offers from COVID

1 Like

Lot of time on the 23 recruiting clock lol. Something like 5 live periods between now and August

5 Likes

So, kinda like the 7th inning stretch, no?

1 Like

Very early for 23s, innit?

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s definitely still early. Plenty of time to identify late bloomers, as Tony has done before. But it’s not crazy early like it was a few months ago. I’m not worried yet, but it’s gonna be interesting and maybe a little crazy.

1 Like

Cross Taine off the potential transfer list. He’s coming back.

23 Likes

Great news and good for him.

Source?

Him

10 Likes

Nice. Annie Hall Marshall McLuhan style

1 Like