Dante Harris is a Hoo

Well this is interesting

2 Likes
6 Likes

lol several tweets like this basically saying Tony > Ewing (which is kinda obvious)

Seems like many viewed Dante as their best player the last two years. Had an injury at the end of last season; no idea if it was minor or enough to linger through the summer and affect the pg competition.

lead that Georgetown Big East Title run.

3pt shooting may be a concern but 1) he was having to jack shots in that system 2) ft shooting is really good and 3) two of his last games, 3-4 from 3 vs UConn and 3-6 vs Xavier.

Solid assists per game. Coached by Curtis Staples in HS. May have impressed staff when we scrimmaged Georgetown last season.

10 Likes

Really like it.

Even if Reece doesnā€™t goes pro, we need another ball handler. If he does go pro, heā€™s more proven than what weā€™d get from an uncommitted 2023 PG.

6 Likes

Georgetown fans are morose

2 Likes
11 Likes

3 more yearsā€¦ interesting

6 Likes

Iā€™m processing this ā€¦

2 Likes

Heā€™s gonna be a beast backing up 8th year Kihei.

26 Likes

Copying and pasting this from the VIP thread

The case for Dante
-1 point guard on the roster >>> 0 point guards at the roster which is what we were looking at prior to this addition.
-2 seasons as a double digit scorer in a power 6 conference
-Strong defender for his position
-Big east championship run shows he has that dynamic aspect that can win you games in March
-4+ assists a game
-A dawg
-Tony likes him enough to take him after doing his research and we know how finicky tony is with his offers.
-free throw shooting shows he has the potential to be a shooter.
-Cant overstate how bad a situation he was in with that horrible coaching and team at Georgetown. And Kihei/Reece showed that 3pt shooting can improve in an offseason worths of work. And Dante will have McKneely at the two most likely, not another pg who doesnā€™t have too much 3pt gravity.
-Has 3 years left and is going to improve. We will most likely have brought in 1-2 other pgs during that time as well. Might still bring in a 2023 pg reclass or a grad transfer 1 year pg. Tony likes 2-3 pgs on the floor at all times. Still need more

The hesitation around 3pt shooting is of course valid. But a playerā€™s stats and individual aspects donā€™t happen in a vacuum.

I dont think this was rushed by anyone and may have been in the works for a while. Clearly they understand the pros and cons of taking a pg early. Again they probably will add 1-2 more pgs over the year. A good chance Dante and the 2022s could be the only returners for next season + Gertrude and Buchanan makes it 7.

12 Likes

Stats here:

14 Likes

So Iā€™m assuming this doesnā€™t affect the normal ā€˜24 PG recruits but instead takes the place of the potential 2nd PG who is ā€˜24 but reclasses to ā€˜23. This interpretation correct? @HoozGotNext

Edit: Your write up indirectly says yes to my question. Appreciate your work.

2 Likes

Iā€™m coming around a bit now after having read his comments about the move. While the 3pt percentage is troubling, he sounds like a high character kid who is totally bought in.

4 Likes

Having a hedge in case Beekman goes pro is going to allow the staff to focus on getting better talent without having to worry about another need. Having a semester to soak in basketball instead of just the summer is going to be huge.

4 Likes

Hmmmmmm I canā€™t help it, the numbers make me skeptical. What potential other transfer PGs will we miss out on this off-season that could be much better shooters? I understand numbers have context, but cmon. They ainā€™t pretty.

2 Likes

with Reece probably declaring and keeping his options open until late in the transfer process, probably not that great.

1 Like

Sounds like a very unusual transfer recruitment all around. Just the timing alone is totally weird (my first reaction: huh? weā€™re getting a transfer commit in December?). Kinda wonder how things went down at Georgetown that he didnā€™t transfer after last season but ended up stepping away from the team prior to play this year. ā€œPersonal reasons,ā€ so I guess weā€™ll never know. Just glad the coaching staff saw the opportunity.

Do we know how the initial connect between him and UVA was made?

1 Like

I think you have to remember elite pg portal prospects are getting paid atleast $200k most likely. They dont care about winning and some donā€™t care about their pro prospects/feel like they can show out anywhere and get a two way contract.

If they are good enough to go pro they go pro, if you are a 4 year player, itā€™s highly unlikely the 5th year makes you a sudden pro.

We have to remember Tony isnā€™'t just being like ā€œOh hey a pg target popped upā€ LOL. That how us fans think it happens. They watch tape and what not and evaluate all of that.

Also again we are going to have 0 pgs on the roster next year. Heck we may still take a grad transfer if Reece is gone. This year shows that having 2 playmakers on the roster may not be enough, so Im okay with at least securing we have 1 on the roster. And to be honest he is way better than many of you are making him out to be. What sophomore has 2 seasons of double digit ppg at the power 6 level and 3+ assists a game?

And heā€™ll be better in an actual system not forcing shots, surrounded by a better team with 3 years in which he will improve. And we will have other point guard and guard additions as well

7 Likes

How does he have the extra pandemic year? I thought that was for the ā€˜19-ā€˜20 season only