Dante Harris is a Hoo

Personally I don’t think Reece should declare for the draft early. But that’s because I’m a UVA fan, and if he comes back next year we’re 100% making a F4 run.

2 Likes

Lol

That Tony Bennett— a two-time Naismith College Coach of the Year award winner, who has a career record of 324-118 (.733), one national championship, and two ACC championships under his belt— thought that Harris could be a useful addition to his roster runs counter to the opinion of Ewing, who thought he needed to upgrade over Harris this offseason, instead of upgrading the talent around Harris instead.

Time will tell which coach was right on Harris, but conventional wisdom would suggest siding with the coach who has a .733 W-L record and a national championship at UVA, instead of the coach with a .445 record and a fluke Big East Tournament championship at Georgetown.

33 Likes

Jesus, that fanbase has soured on Ewing so much.

6 Likes

Can someone show these 1st round grades for Reece? Because I can name about 5-6 maybe more guards who are more prepared for the NBA than Reece. Where is Marcus Sasser getting graded out?

Going off nbadraft.net which usually does an ok job of projecting draft stock, Reece is viewed as the 34th best prospect for 2023 and an early 2nd round pick. Sasser is 52nd but isn’t projected anywhere in their mock draft. I wanna say that ESPN has Reece projected as a late 1st rounder but I’m not 100% sure on that.

Reece has elite measurable and I know the NBA loves that stuff. But you gotta be able to score in the NBA, he has a set shot but he still has issues finishing in traffic (definitely improved a lot). If he gets a 1st round guarantee then yeah, he should go. I would just be surprised, but maybe another year at UVA won’t improve his stock further.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

Yep

It’s a complex decision. I’ve always been of the opinion that in most cases if you’re getting an early 2nd round grade or better, you should declare and if it’s anything less you should stay for another year and work to improve your stock. I think from a skill perspective Reece would absolutely benefit from another year with Bennett, honestly there’s no doubt in my mind he would. But you also have to factor in the issue of injuries and the risk he’d be taking by staying in college. He’s risking losing millions of dollars guaranteed in his pocket if he comes back after receiving a draftable grade, that’s a very difficult offer to turn down even if there’s the potential for him to make even more after playing next season at full health.

2 Likes

The NBA doesn’t care that much about who’s prepared. I feel like we had this same convo in here about Trey Murphy a couple years ago haha Difference here is Trey had an exceptional skill in his shooting. With Reece it’s not as as much of a slam dunk. He’ll need to look like the Vegas version as the year goes on.

Reece over Sasser is a no brainer I would think though. Sasser is the same player he was last year, not that much different than the year before. Reece’s potential for growth is just in an entirely different league.

17 Likes

Would imagine Sasser’s stock has dropped a bit at least for the time being. He hasn’t shot it very well percentage-wise so far this year, which failed to dispel the concerns about him being an overly streaky shooter.

2 Likes

In the NBA everyone shoots the 3 = Reece will have open driving lanes like he has never seen here ever with the Jayden Kadin front court pairing. Also the style of NBA offense and freedom will let Reece thrive even more in the full court I think.

He can hit an open 3. He doesn’t need to be steph curry and there are other aspects of his game that are his strong suit that are absolutely valuable at the next level.

Players can develop post college. Hauser became an even better defender in NBA development program.

7 Likes

Agree. Sasser is a tremendous college player. But he has essentially peaked. Reece still has a good bit to reach full potential.

4 Likes

It’s hilarious … Kihei was ranked 397th recruit in the country …
Tony says hold my hot chocolate …
Dante Harris was 418th ranked recruit.

6 Likes

Seems wild to me that you can average 30 pts a game in HS and not even be in the top 400

Yeah not really sure what happened with Harris’s recruitment. I know he was undersized coming out of HS (247 had him listed at 5’10, 145 lbs.) but the guy was almost Tennessee Mr. Basketball his senior year. You’d think that would garner a more extensive offer list than what he had.

2 Likes

Well, if he hit 28% of his HS 3s, that might have been a red flag. CTB knows what he’s doing with PGs, but his shooting%s are going to aggravate me until proven otherwise.

4 Likes

Not sure about his raw stats, but in his G’Town commitment article on 247 it mentions that he shot 48% from 3 on the Under Armor AAU circuit and describes him as a strong shooter. Does also mention that he played against pretty bad competition in HS though, so that probably had a lot to do with his light recruitment.

I don’t expect him to come in and be a Guy/Jerome/Harris type shooter from deep, but I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest to see his 3pt percentage jump up to around 35%. The main thing I’m interested to see is how he adjusts to our offense as a whole. He was asked to be VERY ball dominant at G’Town, which is something that TB will more than likely decrease by a large portion especially if Beeks decides to come back. I wanna see how comfortable he is playing off ball and working within the flow of the offense rather than constantly taking things into his own hands and looking to create off the dribble. That is of course unless Reece decides to go pro, then Harris might have to do that a little more than anticipated.

1 Like

Might be about right … but that doesn’t mean they can’t get better and greatly exceed their HS ranking. Clark certainly did.

1 Like

Haven’t looked at much Harris video yet but check out the highlights from the BE Tourney Final. The highlights aren’t all that interesting, it’s basically Georgetown hitting about 30 3s, but focus on Harris and his assists…

Georgetown crushes Creighton winning Big East Tournament | FOX COLLEGE HOOPS HIGHLIGHTS - YouTube

2 Likes

What’s up with Tipton using our national title trophy in edits for others schools but in one of our edits nada?

2 Likes