Deteriorating Twitter Thread about unimportant Mumbo jumbo … formerly known as Actual Fall Recruiting thread

I have twitter but proly 90 percent the people I follow I know in some shape form or fashion. And mostly for sports/ UVa related. I dont think will change for guys like us but who knows

3 Likes

If the plan gets implemented and people don’t want to pay, they’re only going to lose their blue check mark.

You may see an increase in parody / fake accounts pretending to be some known sports figures tweeting out fake news (there are a few that do this now and catch people unaware on occasion), but that’s the worst of it in the sports world.

The lack of blue check marks has more real world applications for political figures and real world journalists, but in this UVA sports bubble we really don’t care about that in here.

5 Likes

Good summary

2 Likes

The blue check costs $4.99/mo. now. So the outrage is not should you pay for it, but how much.

1 Like

At this rate, Elon is going to pay people to take the blue check.

2 Likes

Making people pay for the blue check mark just doesn’t even really make sense to me from Twitter’s point of view. The blue checks weren’t created as a status symbol for fancy people to distinguish themselves from the masses - they were created by Twitter to deal with a massive problem of impersonator accounts and signal who real people were. It made Twitter’s product better because then people could actually go to it for real news and updates, and it made them more valuable to advertisers. Was basically a quality control measure for Twitter to improve the product they were selling, but now they’re trying to sell it as a luxury feature.

Just feels like a somewhat desperate move to get a cash influx because they hilariously leveraged themselves to make this acquisition, but I also am not at all a business person and have no idea what I’m talking about. But the whole approach to it just seems to be coming from the wrong angle to me.

Anyway, as long as we know which Tipton edits are legit, we’ll be alright I guess.

4 Likes

moon GIF

6 Likes

The latter was the purpose but it’s mostly become the former. To the point where some choose not to get the check mark because of the stigma attached to it.

Joe Tipton has tried to get a check mark, repeatedly complaining that he can’t despite constant troll accounts popping up fooling people. Perfect example of how messed up their system is. I mean that was the whole point.

6 Likes

Moon announcement gifs…this is the way.
Andy Samberg Yes GIF by The Lonely Island

4 Likes

I think it is smart move. Eventually, users who want to be taken seriously will pay for the blue check. The others will be assumed to be trolls or bots and will be viewed in that light. More to come from Elon but Twitter will be a much much better platform soon.

1 Like

Tipton can now pay for the check mark and he will be differentiated from the Bots.

1 Like

Cant bots pay too? Real question

Edit: actually I prefer thinking Tipton is a bot

4 Likes

Troll farms will not want to shell out $5 a piece for fake accounts.

Neither will I and I am not a bot. I get your point though. Also for Moon Tipton, 99 percent his follows know who he is etc so…

1 Like

Yep, i will not pay either but no problem since I don’t use it to conduct business. Just recreational.

2 Likes

Agree with your first point. If you are looking for blue check validation then pay for if for sure

They will if they are sponsored by a parent entity. Might be fewer overall but they could do much more damager with the air of legitimacy.

1 Like

Sorry this is not Cameron Carr content…

But how is it any different than VIP here? Yes you get the blue check, but I believe you also get additional features/functionality…

2 Likes

Poor @DavetheWave attempt to think one thread could actually be about recruiting

3 Likes
1 Like