Dragon's 2021 College Football Picks Week 2

Week 2 of the college football season is here and I am fired up after going 4-3 last week. That’s a decent start but I want a pool for the new country home, and I need to go on a heater. After a slew of big games last weekend, we are strolling into a group of week 2 cupcakes. In theory that should play in my favor.

Oregon vs. Ohio State over 63.5
This is one of the few games this weekend between ranked teams. Oregon got off to a rocky start last week but picked up the win over Fresno State. OSU was every bit as explosive on offense as we expected them to be, but the Gophers proved they could move the ball and score, making their season opener with the Buckeyes appear far closer than it should have been. The Ducks defense is already banged up and likely missing their top linebacker and future NFL first rounder Kevin Thibodeaux went down with a knee injury last week and is listed at day-to-day. Even if he plays there’s no chance he is at 100%. That should clear the way for OSU to hit the explosive plays we’ve gotten used to, but I expect the Ducks to sneak in enough offense to help push the over. Take the Over 63.5.

Notre Dame vs. Toledo over 55
It’s very easy to have a knee jerk reaction to the Irish finding themselves in a dogfight against FSU last week, that’s the fun of picking games in September. Brian Kelly (despicable person) let his feelings known about watching ND drop an 18 point lead. Toledo will likely win the MAC, but this game is set up for the Irish to make a statement and keep their coach happy by staying on the gas for four quarters. Take the Over 55.

Miami -8.5 vs. App. State
Miami got boat raced in Atlanta last Saturday against Bama, who hasn’t at this point? The Canes are better than what we saw last week everyone looks bad playing Bama. Last time the Canes took on App. State during a “shaky season” they came out firing and walked away with a 45-10 victory. Moral of the story? The Canes still got it at times. Miami -8.5.

Kentucky vs. Missouri under 56
One thing Mark Stoops has brought to the Wildcats is defensive toughness. I feel like I say the same thing every time I watch UK and cringed at how old school their games turn out as an all out slugfest. The last three times these two team got together, they’ve averaged 37.5 points. Unless they are getting blown out UK does not play in high scoring games. Take the Under 56.

Utah -7 vs. BYU
This is a rivalry game that most outside of Utah don’t pay attention to. The line for this one is moving quickly it opened at -4 and is continuing to grow as the week continues. The reason for the big move is injuries. BYU’s QB is likely to miss the game due to concussion protocols. Top receiver Gunner Romney is doubtful with a leg injury. The Utes are loaded with 19 starters back from last year’s team and are locked and loaded on both lines. That’s going make for a long evening for the Cougars. Utah -7.

South Florida -28.5 vs. Florida
Florida wins this game, let me get that out the way upfront. But I do love a big spread, and history tells us the Gators are 0-4-1 against the spread in their last five games. They’ve failed to cover in the last three road games. The 28.5 is the largest home dog the Bulls have been since 2000. Florida wins comfortably, but I like USF with the backdoor cover. South Florida -28.5

Illinois +10 vs. Virginia
This line is a prime example of why I don’t bet Virginia games. Illinois beat down Nebraska in week one and then lost to UTSA last week. That tells me they are still trying to find their footing under their new coach. The Hoos beat the wheels off William & Mary to open the season, but even with the shutout they did not look great for the first half on offense. That tells me it’s likely more of the same Jekyll and Hyde play for Virginia. Illinois does not turn the ball over, and they are capable of finishing the majority of their possessions with points. But thanks to the conservative nature of their offense, it’s unlikely they will test the Virginia secondary often. This is a game where I bet myself happy. Take Illinois to keep it close at +10. If they do and the Hoos win great double win, if IL. If the Hoos win by 20? great Hoos win and I don’t mind losing the cash. If Illinois pulls the upset and beat Virginia? Well at least I got a few bucks to take a stroll down Elliewood with and enjoy a few shots.

5 Likes

I really think we should beat the brakes off this Illinois team. They’re not very good and they can’t attack the weakness of our defense (our corners). However, I can’t remember the last time we started fast against anyone so it could be close

7 Likes

Agree on all those points. It should be a blowout and it could be. But given the up and downs of the UVa offense I can see them letting Illinois hang around esp, since they can shorten a game with those long B1G drives and before you know it, it’s the 4th quarter 23-14 and oh crap you’re not going to cover.

1 Like

I know they beat Nebraska but Nebraska has sucked for a while. Remember when they fired their coach who was only winning ten games a year because they thought they could do better? L.O.L.

4 Likes

You could say the same thing with Miami firing Cooker. Nebraska is terrible. The big thing for me is they control the ball and don’t turn it over a lot limiting the number of possessions. 10 is a big number when you have a team that does that, esp if the other team has a tendency to get off to a slow start.

Yeah it’s just such a weird mindset to me as a Hoo fan, where I’m happy as long as the coach can make a bowl game almost every year and be .333 or so against Tech. Success spoils you (as we seen in our basketball fan base)

3 Likes

Yep and it’s exactly why I have such a hard time with the football program at this point. The expectations are so low it makes me uninterested in the product. Also doesn’t help out that the Hoos are around .09 against VT across 4 coaching regimes now.

2 Likes

What a a crappy slate of games this weekend. Gotta bet to make it interesting.

3 Likes

I don’t know, I think drinking bourbon at 11 am will be interesting

5 Likes

Aspirational, really.

1 Like

Can’t argue with that logic. Not like I wouldn’t be taking shots at Boylan Heights by then if I was in town. “It’s a gamble if we even make it to the game.”

1 Like

Who plays football at 11:00 am and why?

4 Likes

I think ACC network wants to be able to show four games in one day. That’s what I’ve heard folks say anyway

2 Likes

Ok Dragon, I just went over your picks and I’m not very happy with some of them. That makes them locks so it’s time to bet the house on them

4 Likes

Haha I love that blind enthusiasm.

1 Like

Interesting…no. Practice…yes.

2 Likes

Illinois is terrible

2 Likes

Facts

2 Likes

Yeah. Knocking on wood because a lot of time left. But if these first two drives are any indication of Illinois, my only takeaway is questioning how bad Nebraska is LOL.

3 Likes

Can’t forget how good Armstrong’s vision is. Seeing someone and boom it’s already there and a TD. Good stuff, good stuff.

1 Like