Dragon's 2021 College Football Picks Week 3

Things did not go well last week. I’m putting a hold on the new house in the country and am currently looking for any LRA’ers with a sofa for me to crash on, preferably one with a fridge of beer near by. After last week, I am 6-7 and you better believe I’m chasing the money hard this week.

Oklahoma vs. Nebraska over 62
If this was 30 years ago, there is no doubt this game would be the game of the weekend. But times have changed. The Sooners looked shaky against an underrated Tulane team in week one and bounced back well last week to destroy Western Carolina with a 76-0 beatdown. You wouldn’t know it but Nebraska is 2-1 and in their three games they are averaging 34 ppg. Are they good? No, but the Cornhuskers can score points and the Sooners love scoring points and a good shootout, the perfect combo for an over. Take the over 62.

Alabama vs. Florida over 59.5
Bama football is the closest thing we have to a minor league football system. They are not playing the same game as the rest of college football right now. The Gators are looking solid, but Dan Mullin has a quarterback controversy on his hands. He has two explosive options, and a special one in Anthony Richardson who may spell problems for the Crimson Tide. In the end, the Gators are giving up 34 points a game this season against Florida Atlantic and USF, Bama will have no problem racking them up. Thanks to the randomness Richardson can provide, the Gators will get their share of points to keep it Bama respectable. The points will be flying in The Swamp take the over 59.5.

Stanford -12 vs. Vanderbilt
Vanderbilt is Vandy don’t expect much from them. Stanford was supposed to be bad this year, they’ve been on a slow downfall for a few seasons now. However, it appears that David Shaw is changing his stripes just a bit, and Stanford is passing the ball, willingly. Tanner McKee give the Cards a very different look on offensive. It won’t take much of a lift to get the needed points to cover against Vandy. Stanford -12

Cincinnati -3.5 vs. Indiana
This line surprises me. The Bearcats had a dominate year last season and the picked up right where they left off. Currently they are averaging 43 points a game and steamrolled a pair of lessor opponents. The Hoosiers are still building into form as a program. They were stifled by Iowa in week one and crushed Idaho in week 2. What I find most interesting here is Cincinnati knows how to cover on the road doing so in 5 of the last 6. And they are a VERY good team who will be hungry to prove their weight by knocking off a Power 5 team. sUCks 3.5

Purdue +7 vs. Notre Dame
Notre Dame is the softest 2-0 team I’ve seen in a while. It took poor clock management and a last minute field goal to beat Toledo. It took overtime to beat FSU in the opener. Add those up and you have a team that has a struggling defense, and they have yet to cover a spread. Jeff Brohm’s Boilermakers are solid on the offensive side of the ball. They will be able to move the ball and score against the Irish. Add in the fact, that Purdue has covered 5 of the last 6 times in South Bend, they are not afraid of Touchdown Jesus. Purdue +7

Virginia +8.5 vs. North Carolina
Welcome back to the South’s Oldest Rivalry! In some ways this is my favorite game of the year for the Hoos and a slept on rivalry in my opinion. It’s an interesting situation we find ourselves heading into, it could be said the Tar Heels are in a must win situation on Saturday having already dropped a game to VT in the opener. The Hoos looked great to start the season against inferior opponents. The defense, has me concerned. The secondary has holes and the DLine is not as stout as we think. Illinois found their way to the edge with relative ease in the second half last week. My fear as a fan is this game becomes a shootout, that leaves a small margin of error for the Hoos. I do believe it will be a close game.
Virginia +8.5.

9 Likes

I’m taking this fall off from gambling but I would be jumping all over MD -7 at Illinois tonight. Illinois is terrible

2 Likes

Yea that feels almost too good to be true.

1 Like

What a sequence in this Louisville game!!! Louisville gets the ball picked off a tip and UCF looks set up to get in field goal range with 30 seconds left to win. Very next play Louisville gets a pick-6 off a tip!

2 Likes

Freaking wild ending. That was a fun game all around. More than I can say for MD and Illinois

3 Likes

This is why I took a break from betting

2 Likes

I love seeing predictions like MD -7 is lock cuz IL is awful….MD won by 3…man Vegas always seems to know something we don’t…

3 Likes

Illinois’ opponents’ record is now combined 10-1 with Nebraska’s loss to Illinois being the loss. Maybe their opponents have been more solid than expected.

2 Likes

It sums up Vegas perfectly really.

If it looks too good to be true then it usually is

2 Likes

I hate gambling…

3 Likes

Mountaineers need to sack up here

2 Likes

Something about glass houses and karma, especially since our game hasn’t even happened yet and there is a chance it could be season hope-dereailing. But the Virginia tech boards have been a delight to read at work today

1 Like

ACC is uh… well it’s not good.

1 Like

What. The. Fuck.

1 Like

Jinxed it. Still enjoyed the hokie suffering no matter how temporary.

1 Like

Wow. Today is a big day for teams I was sure were good struggling mightily with teams I was sure were terrible.

I’m really glad I don’t bet on these or I’d be free money to someone.

1 Like

Not good at all. Gonna be a long season. Miami choking agaisnt MSU.

3 Likes

And Pitt is Pitt’ing

1 Like

On the bright side, mockery of VT is back on.

We may suffer a similar fate later, but at least we’d be the untangled team instead of the ranked one, and even so VT will have already lost.

Edit - Oh, Miami. Wow. Ouch.

Edit2 - You know, if we beat UNC, we arguably become slight favorites to win the Coastal, I bet.

2 Likes