Dragon's 2023 College Football Picks Week 2 (Season 3)

Dragon’s record 8-2

Celebrate Las Vegas GIF by Jon Pardi

How ya like me know? You better believe I am soaking in ever moment of a stellar opening weekend, 8-2 is the sort of thing legends are made of. College football is here and the Dragon is locked in. Remember this week and this feeling when I inevitably go 2-6 at some point this season. Alright enough talk, let’s gamble.

Pitt Panths +6.5 vs. Tennessee Vols:
Kenny Pickett now plays for the NFL team that the Panthers share a stadium with, but that does not mean Pat Narduzzi’s team is not capable of winning football games. The Panthers are going back to their bread and butter, running the ball and playing staunch defense. Last week in the the return of the Backyard Brawl the Pitt D was not up to Narduzzi’s standard but they can make those adjustments. Tennessee is quickly become a media darling and the money is following. The line opened at 3 and has grown to 6.5. That’s tasty enough for me to bite. Also of note here, this is the first time Pitt has welcomed a ranked SEC team to their house. Also the Vols are 4-11 ATS against ranked opponents. The Panthers are 4-1 ATS as a home dog of 6.5 or more.
Panthers +6.5

Houston Cougars +3.5 vs. Texas Tech
This one feels funky to me and everything about it says stay away, but I can’t do that. Houston is ranked and on the road and a dog against Texas Tech. honestly really like the money line here at Houston +122. History tells us TT is 4-0 ATS when playing Houston the last four meetings. Meanwhile Texas Tech is 3-6 ATS and SU at home as a favorite against a ranked opponent. Something has to give and I’m rolling with the Cougars.
Houston +3.5 and +122 money line.

USC -7.5 vs. Stanford:
It may not seem that way, but over the last 15 years the outcome of a September matchup between the Trojans and the Cards has determined the Trojans season. Both teams took care of business last week against weak opponents. This week, Stanford has the opportunity to play the role of weak opponent. This USC is talented. Caleb Williams can throw a ball in the air and it’s chances are it will land in an All Conference players hands. Lincoln Riley is still putting his mark on the Trojans and there may be a few growing pains to come, but they will not be stalled against a Stanford team that struggles to generate pressure from it’s Dline and the secondary is simply less athletic than the Trojans receivers. Also Stanford has dropped 7 straight against FBS opponents and averaged 13.4 points in the process.
USC -7.5

Miami vs. So. Miss Over 51.5
Dropping 70 on Bethune Cookman is not enough for me to declare The U is back. But it is enough for me to realize Mario Cristobal is embracing his Miami roots and unafraid to run the score up on someone. The spread for this one is resting at 26.5 which feels a bit too steep. But regardless I do think the O/U is far too low, if Miami gets rolling they are not going to take their foot off the gas.
Over 51.5

Mississippi St. vs. Arizona Over 57.5
Arizona is still attempting to get their program on track and a solid opening week win over San Diego St. was nice. But that had more to do with subpar competition than Arizona building something. Mike Leach seems to have his QB’s doing Mike Leach things, Will Rogers threw for over 450 yards against Memphis last week. The Arizona secondary is not ready to stand up to the Air Raid. I also think the Wildcats offense will be successful enough to put points on the board, requiring the Bulldogs to keep airing it out. This game has over written all over it.
Over 57.5

Florida -5.5 vs. Kentucky:
UK is a basketball school they also have a solid football program. Stoops has transformed the Wildcats into a respectable program. Meanwhile Billy Napier got his career as the Gators HC off on the right foot by knocking off a ranked Utah team. Anthony Richardson put his hand u up for breakout player of the year for the Gators last week. UL has won 2 of the last 4 meetings after dropping 31 in a row. They are also 4-0 against the spread in their last four meetings. I feel like I am allowing my recency bias to get the best of me here, but I really like the potential of the Gators at home in the Swamp.
Florida -5.5

Virginia +4.5 vs. Illinois
Coach Elliott passed his first test as the HC of the Hoos. He would have passed it with flying colors had it not been for a bad start to the second half that allowed Richmond to have a glimmer of hope. Credit to the Hoos for closing the door quickly getting the win to start the Elliott era off on the right foot. Now comes the first road test, and major test of Coach Elliott’s tenure. After a strong start to the year in a 30-6 romp over Wyoming in Week 0 Illinois came crashing down to earth giving up a fourth quarter lead and dropping a game on the road to Indiana. Before the season I had this game marked as a potential trouble spot and I’m changing my tune just yet. Illinois is running the ball well, lead back Chase Brown is averaging 6.4 yards per attempt. That’s not good new for the Hoos who are still seeking an identity on defense, and struggle at times to contain the Richmond backfield.

Illinois has a tendency to be sloppy with the ball, four turnovers and eight penalties allowed Indiana to knock them off last week. Unfortunately, the Hoos also are turnover prone with two last week, and fumble that was recovered by the offense. Virginia has to tighten up their ball security, this team is not talented enough to overcome self inflicted mistakes.

I wouldn’t bet this spread, it’s shifted between 3.5 and 4.5 all week. The over/under is enticing at 57.5. Feel like Vegas really nailed this one and I would advice staying away from that as well.

Enjoy the game and hopefully the Hoos can pull off a hard fought win.

10 Likes

Dragon, your on a roll and i got my eye on a new Dodge Challenger. Im gonna roll with you until i get those keys in my hand.

3 Likes

… What, on earth, is Louisville doing? They are up 6, it’s fourth and 4 on their own 46. Their defense has been dominating. And instead of punting, they snap the ball and fail to convert. Now UCF is in great position. How on earth do you make that call?? Am I going crazy? What is happening with coaches?

3 Likes

Louisville is one of those programs I just don’t get. Cunningham has been in college since the day Jackson left. The coaching staff has gotten by on talent and not scheme. Just good enough to raise hopes but not enough coaching to accomplish anything

4 Likes

Solid Dragon
Disagree on my Red Raiders

1 Like

Haha of course you do. They’d throw you outbof Lubbuck if you didn’t. That’s a shakey line to me and I wouldn’t be suprised if I was wrong. Absolutely my smallest wager of the weekend. Doing some chasing hoping to cash in on the money line.

Yeah my wager on them would be very small if any.
My oldest is one their nutritionist and the difference between the current staff’s vs the old staffs view on nutrition is night and day. Like 1980’s vs Current day.

1 Like

Oh damn they there for the Leach era or was it Kingsbury? Cant imagine Mike was focused on that stuff

1 Like

No she was there for the short tenure of Matt Wells
They basically ate a paleo diet now whatever they want

1 Like

Hah that’s ridiculous. Definitely an old school approach. Total shsdes of Big8 football

A win today and it’s likely Vandy rolls into Bama undefeated for an SEC throwdown in 2 weeks.

2 Likes

I had a tough time deciding this week but the HGN Dragon Favorite (2-0) pick is Miss St/Arizona over the total. Also throwing a few fanduel bucks on the Hoos ML.

2 Likes

Love it that over and the USC game are my locks a little edge to usc. Ml on the hoos could be big great use of fanduel money

1 Like

Since there is no game thread up yet i will ask here. I want to know where i can go to watch the game. Anyone know a stream i can watch besides Fubo?

Its on ESPNU

2 Likes

https://ustvgo.tv/espnu/

2 Likes

Alabama-Texas :eyes:

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s great.

1 Like

UNC games are nuts.

3 Likes

Yeah. UNC lately has been like if UVA looked at our results last year and said “Looks good!”

Edit - And as a side note, WTH is going on with Texas vs Bama?
Edit2 - Huh, Sagarin projected Texas as the #12 team in the country before the game despite being unranked. He still had Bama as 7 point favorites, but he has to feel good about his system for that.

2 Likes