Dragons College Football Picks Conference Championship Week

Last Week 7-5
62-46-2 Overall

It’s Conference Championship week! Time to get excited. Some years this is my favorite week of the season with the potential intrigue and the stakes, and then there’s years like this one and it’s a formality. Thankfully we have gambling that can make anything more interesting.

LSU vs. UGA -17.5 Over 52
This one is a bit touchy but I can’t stay away from it. It looks like LSU QB Jayden Daniel will play, but he’s not 100% with a sore ankle. Any QB not 100% would be a concern facing UGA’s defense, but one that also relies on his legs to make him the threat he is is extremely concerning. There’s a chance Daniels can gut it out, and to be honest the turnaround this LSU team has pulled off since early Oct is amazing. It’s also enough to let me take the Over 52. I expect the Dogs to roll and Stetson Bennet to look for a legacy defining moment in his back yard, but if it is a close game I don’t think it will be a slug fest.
UGA -17.5 Over 52

USC vs. Utah Over 67
I kind of love how the PAC 12 moved their championship game to Friday night and give themselves a chance to stand apart. It also is fun because generally this game provides the most drama from the P5 championships. The Utes handed USC their only loss of the season earlier this year. Caleb Williams for the Trojans seems to be on a mission to continue Lincoln Riley’s trend of developing Heisman winning QBs and I’m leery to bet against the red hot QB. The line is very narrow at 2.5 and I’m staying away from it. But the last time these two teams got together it was a shootout and I expect lots of points to be scored again.
Over 67

Kansas State +1.5 vs. TCU
Finally some drama on championship Saturday. TCU has no room for error if they want to make the CFP. All that stands between them and the promised land is a rematch with the KSU team that was up 28-0 at the half the first time they met before the Horned Frogs roared back. That was just one of the miracle finishes TCU pulled off this season. For this one, I just think the luck runs out for TCU who has played in so many tight games and at some point they have to feel the pressure of the CFP looming.
Kansas State +1.5

Tulane -3.5 vs. UCF
A conference championship game in New Orleans and it involves Tulane? We live in strange times. Tulane vanquished the boogey man last week by knocking off Cincinnati and they are honesty one of the hottest teams in the country. UCF handed the Green Wave a loss last time they made the trip to Nola earlier this season and will be confident they can do it again. I think this is a tough match up and it will be close in the fourth. 3.5 is about the limit of how big a spread I’d take here.
Tulane -3.5

Michigan -16.5 vs. Purdue
The B1G West replaced the ACC Coastal for a season and Purdue somehow bubbled to the top and won the division. I doubt many had that on their bingo card back in September. The Boilermakers are going to be overmatched all over the field on Saturday. In theory they should have some homefield advantage since the game will be played about 100 miles south of their campus, but we all know Big Blue nation is going to show up and show out and will make Indy their home for the weekend. The Wolverines have come alive on offense and riding all the momentum from their show out performance in the Shoe last week.
Michigan -16.5

1 Like

Welcome back OSU to the CFP. Thanks Lincoln Riley for once again forgetting how to coach defense in a big game.

3 Likes

Little weird fact about him as a coach, if USC wins their bowl game Riley will have had exactly two losses in all six seasons he’s been a HC. Also will be his fourth time going 12-2.

2 Likes

That’s a great stat. His talent as a coach is evident. The shortfall comes in hiring a reliable DC and then recruiting defense. He’s a week away from having his 3rd Hesiman qb.

Sounding like Primetime is coming to Colorado

Is he really a good coach or is Colorado just getting the Primetime limelight?

1 Like

Hard to say how he is as far as X’s and O’s go, I know his OC is a young guy who falls under the Mike Leach air raid tree. Those Jackson St. teams put up a lot of points but that was at the FCS level with a pretty significant talent advantage competing in the SWAC. He’ll likely load Colorado’s roster with tons of talent next year, probably bringing his son over to start at QB.

1 Like

Lol @BDragon
Is it forgetful if he never knew how to coach defense?

1 Like

Agree with @UVApride7. Deion is a brand and that can go a long way in college if you surround yourself with the right people. His son will come with him and with P5 backing he’ll have access to some high level athletes. That should be enough to float him for a while.

I also think Colorado is a great landing spot because it has a great location with recruiting ties to the west coast and the midwest. It has money and decent facilities. It also has a reasonable fanbase that will be satisfied to be relevant again and won’t push the envelope expecting a national title in yr 1.

Finally the expanded playoff could be a big booster here too.

1 Like

Lol great point!

1 Like

Laugh Plotting GIF by Big Brother

When you’re 4-0 on the day heading into a nightcap game.

What a run what a season.

5 Likes

Is it possible the Big Ten gets two teams in the playoffs, and neither is the conference champ? I guess Alabama is ahead of OSU anyway tho.

2 Likes

Its scary possible. Id say OSU has a slight edge on Bama. But if Michigan lays this egg… i dunno

1 Like

DJ Uiagalelei is gonna be playing foorball in Charlottesville isn’t he?

3 Likes

Nevermind. Michigan is taking care of business now.

1 Like

Thank God Seinfeld GIF by HULU

1 Like

Primetime coming to Boulder it’s official

1 Like
2 Likes

Liks he needs the $5mil a season.

1 Like

Damn… really thought he would Ted Lasso it w/ the US National Team. :frowning:

3 Likes