Dragon's College Football Picks Conference Championship Week

Last week 4-5
Overall 68-54-2

Pro Wrestling Sport GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

Much like and because of the Hoos, I ended the 2023 regular season with a whimper. 4-5 last week was not what I expected but alas we move on. Now we enter the college football post season and from an entertainment standpoint many of these games don’t need any extra juice, and from a gamblers perspective there are plenty of extra wrinkles at stake. Interestingly enough while the playoff does not expand to 12 teams until next season, we are getting a mini-expansion with two quarterfinals at stake.

Oregon vs. Washington Over 65.5
The final Pac 12 Championship game serves as a play in for the CFP when Oregon and Washington match up in a rematch of their thrilling game from earlier this season. The Huskies emerged from that thriller victorious back in October, but since then the two teams have gone in slightly different directions. Since the loss the Ducks have outscored their opponents 252-96, meanwhile Washington has won their last eight games by 10 points or less. Watching the Huskies for the last month it feels like every week they are one play away from disaster. There are rumors that Michael Penix Jr. is injured and giving him the eye test I think he may be banged up. On the field the Oregon offense and Box Nix get all the hype but the Ducks defense has been great this season giving up just under 16 points a game. The line for this one is interesting, it opened at Oregon -7.5 and has grown to -10. My instincts tell me the Oregon love has reached a tipping point and given Washington’s habit of playing in thrillers I could see them backdooring. I’m choosing to stay away from it and settling on the total.
Over 65.5

Texas -14.5 vs. Oklahoma St. Over 55
The Longhorns have an outside opportunity to make the College Football Playoff but they need to win and they need style points. Enter a Oklahoma State team that is all over the map, and carrying all of the Big 12’s pride on their backs. Given the task at hand for the Longhorns I think they can speed up a Cowboys team that has a shaky secondary. Oklahoma State has a solid rushing attack but it could be considered hit or miss with a rushing success rate that ranks 73d. That’s going to be tough against a Texas rush defense that can control the line of scrimmage. I like the over as a way to cover yourself. The feels like a throwback to the BCS days with style points being the core objective. The line has grown -10 when it opened and currently floating between 14-15, as the money comes in to support Texas but I still like it at this point.
Texas -14.5 Over 55

Alabama +5.5 Georgia Under 54.5
Two old friends meet once again with the SEC Championship on the line. UGA may be on the quietest 20+ game win streak / 2 time national champion I’ve ever seen. In recent memory of college football dynasties I think USC in the aughts, Bama in the late aughts/teens and Clemson. All three of those programs dominated headlines and media coverage during their reign. Yet, most would struggle to name UGA’s starting QB or any combination of 3 players. It’s pretty wild in today’s world to have a team as dominant as they are fly under the radar. The knock on the Dawgs has been their defense is not what it was, but they are giving up 15 ppg. that’s pretty good. The offense is considered labored but they are averaging 37ppg. So where’s the love? Saturday the Crimson Tide come to Atlanta and here’s a stat for you, Saban is 10-1 in SEC Championship games he’s also riding a 16 game wining streak in Atlanta. These two historically play tight games and Saturday will no be no different. Both teams look to run the ball first and they will control the clock. UGa hasn’t played a defense quite like Bama’s and the same can be said for Bama.
Bama +5.5 Under 54.5

Florida St -1.5 vs. Louisville
The question for this game is can the 'Noles win and do it in a fashion that impresses the committee enough to remain in the CFP? I won’t claim to know the answer to the second question, but for the first questions yes, I think FSU wins this game. Despite being favored Florida State feels like an underdog coming into this game. Once Jordan Travis went down the entire sporting world wrote them off. However, I see an FSU team with NFL level talent littered in their receiving core. A solid offensive line and a front 7 on defense loaded with pro-level talent.
Florida St. -1.5

Michigan vs. Iowa Under 34.5
Keep the streak alive, the drive for 6 consecutive unders in Iowa bets is on! In many ways this game feels like a coronation ceremony for the Wolverines. The B1G championship was won last week in the Big House when Michigan survived Ohio State. The last time Iowa faced a team close to Michigan’s caliber the were blown out 31-0 by Penn State. We all know the Hawkeyes woes on offense, 128th in points per drive. The Michigan defense is suffocating and has stifled high powered opponents, the consistent pressure will overwhelm the Iowa offense. As I said last week, Michigan has the offense that Iowa dreams about. The Wolverines will run the ball 60 times on Saturday and absolutely choke the life out of the clock and the game.
Under 34.5

SMU +3.5 vs. Tulane Over 47
I’m jumping back in with the Mustangs here. The SMU offense is something to behold they score at will and average 41 ppg. The Tulane Green Wave put together a great season playing consistent football. Their only loss was early in the year to OIe Miss. This one feels like a shoot out in the making but in the end, I don’t think the Green Wave can keep up.
SMU 3.5 Over 47

4 Likes

Wonder if SMU beating Tulane would lead to Liberty going to a NY6 Bowl. Let’s get excited for the Missouri-Liberty Peach Bowl!

2 Likes

season 8 episode 25 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

5-6 last week was not helpful. 37-48-4 on the season is…not good. One week left to close that gap a little and make it a bit more respectable. Let’s do it.

New Mexico St. +10.5 vs Liberty This one seems like it will either be NM State and the under or Liberty and the over. Feast or famine. Liberty has hit the over in 5 of its last 6; NM State the under in 6 of its last 7. I was impressed with the Aggies winning a hard-fought game over Jacksonville State the week after their emotional victory over Auburn. That’s eight straight covers for NM State while Liberty has only been 4-4 ATS since the end of September. Both teams want to run the ball and are solid defending the run. They played each other at this same location in week 2 and Liberty covered the spread. I expect that familiarity with the foe and the location along with NM State’s improved play since the early season makes this a closer result than last time.

Oregon -9 vs. Washington The momentum is strong with Oregon. The top two passing attacks in college football meet, each averaging over 345 passing yards per game. But over the last three, Oregon is averaging 410 yards per game while Washington is down to 230 yards per game. There is no denying that Oregon is on the ascent and Washington is hanging on. It’s outrageous that an undefeated team that already beat their opponent earlier in the season is a nine point dog. Yet here we are. I’m agreeing with Vegas and laying the points.

Miami (OH) vs. Toledo under 44 Miami has been a mini-Iowa during the second half of this season, hitting six out of eight unders and the last three being under 35. Both teams rank in the top 35 in total defense. Toledo is 7th in the nation in rushing, but Miami is top 40 in stopping the run and top-ten in preventing third down conversions. When they played at Miami five weeks ago the line was Toledo -2.5 and the final was 21-17. Not sure why the line should be 8 for this game on a neutral site. Seems inflated to me, but I’m going to leave it alone and take the under.

Oklahoma State vs. Texas over 55 Texas’s defense has been susceptible to the pass, as shown by the Houston, Kansas State, and even the Iowa State games. The problem is that I don’t believe Alan Bowman and his 10/11 TD to INT ratio is the man to take advantage of it. Bowman can rack up the yardage, but has thrown 6 INTs in the last 3 games…and Texas is top 10 in the nation at forcing interceptions. Oklahoma State would prefer to run the ball with Ollie Gordon II, but it is tough to do that against Texas. Sounds like I’m leaning toward taking Texas minus the points, but 15 is too much for me. Oklahoma State has exceeded 40 points in 4 of their last 6. These teams have played each of the last 5 years and averaged a total of 69.

UNLV +2.5 vs. Boise State and over 59 UNLV’s rushing defense has been hit hard in the last three games, giving up an average of 233 yards. Boise’s top 10 rushing offense should feast here. But UNLV is top 20 in scoring offense themselves, averaging 35 points per game, well-balanced between run and pass. UNLV lost last week against a hot San Jose State team, but the Rebels are 10-2 ATS this year. If this game were being played on Boise’s blue turf, I would think differently about it, but Boise has been decidedly worse on the road this year, giving up an average of 29 points per game away from home. Give me UNLV in a battle of offenses.

Georgia vs. Alabama over 54.5 Georgia has shown some defensive vulnerability this year, surrendering 20 points or more in 6 of its last 9 games. But let’s take that with a grain of salt – none of those six opponents scored as many as 24 points, and the two foes that really got their attention (Ole Miss and UT on the road) only managed an average of 14 points. So Georgia could still shut down the Crimson Tide and keep this one under the number. But particularly against the run, Georgia has been iffy the last few weeks, allowing an average of 171 yards per game and 4.5 yards per attempt. Alabama will take advantage of that, which should open up the passing game for Milroe. Georgia did a good job preventing Georgia Tech’s Haynes King from running for lots of yardage, but he was still effective in the red zone, punching it in the end zone twice. I expect Milroe, who has 12 rushing touchdowns this year, to be able to do the same so that Bama won’t have to settle for field goals. Alabama’s O/U record over the last eight games has been 7-0-1. The total has trended down slightly this week, but I’m going with the over.

App State +5 vs Troy This is a worthy championship game. The Trojans have won 9 straight and have covered the spread in 7 of them. Appalachian State has one five in a row and covered in 4 of those. Interestingly, App State has been a better road team than Troy a home team this year. The Mountaineers were 3-3 ATS on the road this season while Troy was 2-4 ATS at home. App State was 3-1 ATS as an underdog including a big win against undefeated James Madison. Give me the points.

FSU -1.5 vs. Louisville and under 47.5 The Cardinals are 1-4 ATS away from home this year. Louisville has been led by its strong defense this year although it has been spottier down the stretch, giving up 30 or more points in 3 of its last 6 games. By contrast Florida State hasn’t given up more than 20 points to anyone since September. With Jordan Travis out and the Cardinal’s facing an elite Florida State pass defense (only allowing a 47% completion percentage for the season), expect the run games to take center stage in this one. Both teams are solid against the run. Give me the Seminoles in a low scoring game.

Michigan -22 vs. Iowa I don’t think Iowa scores here. This one should be similar to the 31-0 shellacking Iowa took from Penn State earlier this year … except worse.

3 Likes

Love the picks here

That NMST Liberty game could get real squirrelly. I do like your NMST pick though. The -9 on Oregon is nice if you have it at that or a touch less I’d say go for it. I only saw it as a double digit and that just felt strange. I do agree the Ducks are absolutely on the up swing and I think they flex their muscle. Over in Texas OSU sounds right. I’m putting a lot of faith in Texas trying to make a statement which is not a solid leg to stand on admittedly. Completely agree about the Michigan game I legit have them winning 34-0. I’m hoping the Iowa defense enough to keep the Wolverines from ripping off 80yrd runs because I don’t think they throw the ball the entire 2nd half.

1 Like

The three teams playing this weekend that I am most skeptical of are Iowa (do they even count?), Toledo, and Tulane. I was going to be all over SMU until I heard that their QB broke his leg last week against Navy. Apparently they are high on the back-up, but I decided to stay away.

I favor Georgia in the big SEC game, but not strongly. I definitely respect what Bama has done this season and like the fact that they got their stinker of a game out of their system last week.

I totally think you are right about Texas needing style points. Doing it to Texas Tech won’t move the needle. Doing it two weeks in a row looks like they are peaking at the right time. If chaos happens, they will need every advantage they can get.

I think my favorite pick of the week is the FSU/Louisville under, so of course that one will be a 52-38 shootout. lol

1 Like

The QB injury is the only reason that SMU line is not double digits, and obviously I still like them.

I think the FSU UofL game is either a blowout all 'Noles or an ugly dogfight with FSU squeaking it out. I wouldn’t be surprised at it being a rock fight, although I was impressed by their QB’s toughness last week against Florida.

I think Bama UGa is going to be like that 10-7 Bama LSU game from years back. I think both teams will try to out SEC each other to a stalemate.

If FSU wins, huge advantage for whatever team gets them in the semifinals. If Oregon also wins, I assume FSU would be #3 which kind of sucks for the #1 team to have to play Oregon while #2 plays FSU.

3 Likes

All good points. I could see a world where FSU wins and still doesn’t get in. Especially if Bama beat UGa. What happens if Texas drops 60 on Okie St? I think Bama may be the biggest wildcard in everything they win and the chaos begins.

Just throwing out wild scenarios.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1730670450076708959

3 Likes

Sesame Street Reaction GIF by Muppet Wiki

2 Likes

huh? Are you saying that the line would have been SMU -10 if not for the QB injury, and it moved all the way to Tulane -3.5 ??

1 Like

I may have been a bit overstated. But there are projection models that show SMU winning by 8 and that’s with a backup so I have to wonder, but you’re right the line likely did not swing 13ish points because of that.

1 Like

Tortoise Easy Going GIF by Tierpark Berlin

For those of you who like the “thrill” of betting the under, the early total for Army-Navy is 28. I hear the networks are hoping to pull a 38 share in Iowa for that game.

If you’re curious, Army and Navy have been under the total of 28 four times in the last 10 years. Both of their games with Air Force this year ended up under that number.

2 Likes

Dear lord, I hate to sh$t on the service academies but that’s going to be a dreadful game. At least least with Iowa they are slow and boring but the defense is special.

3 Likes

I’m starting to feel like @HoozGotNext get joy out of trolling me on here. I must have made one too many recruiting jokes.

3 Likes

Shame about the SMU QB. For those who may not know, Preston Stone is former UVA QB Lindell Stone’s brother. I always thought it was great that Lindell stuck around to be a backup QB even though he was a London recruit who didn’t fit Bronco/Anae’s offense. He basically played 1 game his entire career (plus being the holder I think) and now he’s coaching locally I think.

4 Likes

If Jim Harbaugh is as bad ass as I know he is he should walk out the tunnel alone today to Back n Black full on wwe style entrance

For god knows what reason, the first college football team I rooted for was Michigan with Jamie Morris** and Jim Harbaugh. Now the guy seems like a douche nozzle. Am I wrong?

** little bro of NY Giant legend Joe Morris

1 Like

Yes and no I’d say. Think he has that if he’s your douche he’s quirky and great if you’re OSU he’s a war criminal

1 Like

UT beating the piss out of OSU. What you get for killing that poor animal

2 Likes