Elite 8 Poll - December 4

Concept is simple – vote for the 8 teams you think will be in this year’s elite 8. The 20 choices (max allowed in the poll format) are the top 19 in the current AP poll (h/t @dave92 for the suggestion), plus an “other” choice. If you pick “other”, please declare who you have in mind. This will close Tuesday 12/6 at 12 noon eastern.

If you like, go back and check how you did come March 26. I’m mostly curious to see how reasonably knowledgeable college hoops fans (at least UVa hoops fans) think the tourney is going to play out, as the season plays out, since most human major rankings seem to be measuring something else (not exactly clear what, but it’s not that).

Elite 8 poll - Dec 4-6 2022
  • Houston (6-0)
  • Texas (5-0)
  • Virginia (5-0)
  • Arizona (6-0)
  • Purdue (6-0)
  • Baylor (5-1)
  • Creighton (6-1)
  • UConn (8-0)
  • Kansas (6-1)
  • Indiana (6-0)
  • Arkansas (5-1)
  • Alabama (6-1)
  • Tennessee (5-1)
  • Gonzaga (5-2)
  • Auburn (7-0)
  • Illinois (5-1)
  • Duke (6-2)
  • North Carolina (5-2)
  • Kentucky (4-2)
  • Other

0 voters

1 Like

Something is wrong with your poll, I don’t see the Cincinnati Bearcats as an option

Loss of Fickell doomed them, sorry to say.

Btw, my “other” = UCLA

2 Likes

Huggins Van exel and martin come back? Enjoy being no. 2 in the city again.

1 Like

Man i thought I’ve watched a lot of basketball so far but actually having to think my way through this I realized I dont have nearly enough info on a lot of teams.

1 Like

Well football gambling season is winding down … and your family can pretty much coast through the holidays without you. :joy:

I always think I’m going to dive in with both feet to hoops and then real life intrudes… Oh well.

Back on topic, and for the record - I think UVa is a second weekend team, and true to my pessimism, I’m assuming that means Sweet 16, not Elite 8.

2 Likes

Other: Some random 7-12 seed will make it because one always seems to.

6 Likes

Haha i can’t even argue with that assessment. It’s tough to balance it all and I’ve watched a lot of bad games since I tend to focus on the ACC first then spread out

I picked Uva for the poll because this is a UVa site. But I’m with you I think realistically this is a Sweet 16 team. Maybe an Elite 8 and a Final 4 if everything went right and got a bit of luck. But I wouldn’t bet anything past the sweet 16.

1 Like

My other is San Diego St.

1 Like

My others are Maryland and UCLA. But the poll made me pick 7 non-others so I guess I picked 9 teams.

2 Likes

Bumping this for the Monday morning crew. So far it’s:

1. Virginia
  2. Houston
  3. Purdue
  4. Texas
  5. UConn
  6. Kansas
  7. Baylor
  8. Illinois

Will be interesting to see how it compares to the AP top 25 - top 8.

1 Like

UVA will lose in the first round.

Wait, are you conceding they will make the tournament?

2 Likes

Yes. The ACC is too bad for us not to win it.

3 Likes

Uh oh, I’m gonna hide before lightning strikes us all.

1 Like

people forget the programs that always time their burst exactly to February and march. We haven’t heard the last of UNC, Duke etc.

2 Likes

I have two “others” - Maryland and TCU - to go along with Houston, UConn, Gonzaga, Arkansas, Alabama, and Purdue.

1 Like

Closes at noon today, if anyone else wants to vote

1 Like

Last chance! (About 30 minutes) AZ/IL/TN all vying for the 8th slot.

Feel confident (or as confident as one can be) with UVa, Texas, Purdue, and Houston. I imagine those four will be in my bracket’s EE come March barring something unforeseen.

Baylor is probably Main Event/preseason bias on my part. Tennessee and Zaga are picks I have no confidence in. My other pick for this exercise is Maryland, and that’s a result of living in the suburbs of DC and hearing about MD nonstop the last two weeks.

My other pick in reality is that random team that makes a ridiculous tournament run.

1 Like