Elite 8 Poll - December 18

Okay, Auburn game wrapped (with an L) and Baylor is too late, so here goes. Same concept as 2 weeks ago. So the rest of this is mostly cut and paste:

Vote for the 8 teams you think will be in this year’s elite 8. The 20 choices (max allowed in the poll format) are the top 19 in the current AP poll, plus an “other” choice. If you pick “other”, please declare who you have in mind. This will close Tuesday 12/20 at 12 noon eastern.

If you like, go back and check how you did come March 26. I’m mostly curious to see how knowledgeable college hoops fans think the tourney is going to play out, as the season plays out, and in particular how results change as we get more info.

Last week’s poll linked here if you want to see results / how you voted:

Elite 8 poll - Dec 18-20
  • Purdue (10-0)
  • Virginia (8-0)
  • UConn (11-0)
  • Alabama (8-1)
  • Houston (9-1)
  • Tennessee (9-1)
  • Texas (7-1)
  • Kansas (9-1)
  • Arizona (8-1)
  • Arkansas (9-1)
  • Baylor (7-2)
  • Duke (10-2)
  • Kentucky (7-2)
  • Indiana (8-2)
  • Gonzaga (7-3)
  • UCLA (8-2)
  • Mississippi State (9-0)
  • Illinois (7-3)
  • Auburn (8-1)
  • Other
0 voters
1 Like

Other for me = UNC. Feeling less confident though…

Other for me is the obligatory Cinderella team that would make no sense to pick right now.

So my money is on Iona.

Other: rando 6-12 seed like before. UVA out. Early season shooting was fun. It was also a fluke.

1 Like

Houston will get bounced kinda early my opinion

2 Likes

going chalk this week

1 Like

Reminder for the Monday AM folks who want to vote

1 Like

I still kept UVA in my top 8 but they are on by a thread now, and if you held my feet to the fire I wouldn’t defend the pick. Pulling my best AP Voter impersonation. I blew a pick on IU simply because I know there’s going to be 1 random team in the group and this week they fit that bill for me.

1 Like

TCU is my other.

Keeping my same picks except bumping Maryland out for UCLA.

Purdue, UConn, Houston, Arkansas, Alabama, Gonzaga, UCLA, TCU

1 Like

Bumping this in case anyone else wants to vote before noon eastern tomorrow

2 Likes

Closes in 2 hours. Lots of close races

1 Like

38 minute warning! Let’s get to 50 votes!! (I feel like Jerry Lewis at his telethon)

2 Likes

It’s for the kids!

4 Likes

Thanks to all who voted!

Results:

1. UConn - 91%
  2. Kansas - 89%
  3. Houston - 87%
  4. Purdue - 76%
  5. UVa - 68%
  6. Bama - 63%
  7. Arizona - 57%
  8. Tennessee - 42%

Compare to last week’s:

1. Virginia - 69 votes / 77 voters
  2. Houston - 67 / 77
  3. Purdue - 61 / 77
  4. Texas - 59 / 77
  5. UConn - 50 / 77
  6. Kansas - 39 / 77
  7. Baylor - 35 / 77
  8. (Tie!) Arizona / Illinois - 31 / 77 (w/ TN one vote behind)

Compare to AP:

1. Purdue
  2. Uconn
  3. Houston
  4. Kansas
  5. Arizona
  6. UVa
  7. Texas
  8. Tennessee
  9. Alabama
  10. Arkansas
3 Likes

Love it interesting to see the fluidity already. UConn, Arizona Kansas, Tennessee high risers on the week. Be curious to know what the numbers for Virginia would look like in a more neutral setting.

2 Likes

I think we are collectively low on UCLA? They pounded Maryland into the earth on the road and had that nice neutral site win over Kentucky recently. They haven’t put up a bad performance all season, they just have the two close-ish losses to Illinois and Baylor in the Vegas tournament.

3 Likes

I had Arizona in my Final 4 this week and UCLA in top 6 … I think East coasters don’t watch west coast much… so late at night.

2 Likes