Fall Recruiting Action

It’s fall season basketball. The dude he got matched up with is Milan Moncilovic who’s a top 100 recruit in 2023 on our radar. 6’9 stretch 4 but Bond was able to use the mismatch as a small ball center. Milan had to sag or risk getting blown by with Bond’s quickness, which allowed Bond’s slightly wonky 3s to still be effective with space.

5 Likes

I think he’s jumping on most of his jump shots. In the three or four where you can actually see his feet when he’s shooting, he’s definitely leaving the ground. The others the camera pans up right as he starts his shooting motion so you can’t see his feet (just zoom out a little more camera guy). I guess that gives the impression he’s not jumping, but pretty sure he is in all but maybe one or two. That said, the threes are definitely something he’ll need to work on.

1 Like

Apropos of nothing at all (wink wink), I really enjoy watching filmed entertainment of guys who will play for UVa. I also enjoy watching the same for prominent UVa opponents. Duke has extensive highlights of several scrimmages. It’s fun to see the players I will root for and against during the season. I hope that someday that technology makes it to Charlottesville. Of course, the tradeoff is, I suppose Navy would be able to figure things out that would otherwise take them, oh about 3 possessions or so.

5 Likes

How is Keels doing?

In the last one, he looked really good to me. He can do that ballhawking Duke defense really well. Good instincts on D. Didn’t get as much sense on O, but I’d pencil him as a starter over Griffin.

Actually, he had a few good plays on offense, too. He’s strong so will be able to score around the hoop. Got less of a sense of his shot.

1 Like

Looks like he slimed down even more too. Looks better than Griffin in the highlights I watched tbh. But those highlights also make Wendell Moore look like a competent offensive player so not sure what they are worth🤷‍♂️

3 Likes

Griffin has been banged up for a long time but I highly doubt Keels will start over him. The NBA scouting people I follow are super high on Griffin

I’ve heard the same about Griffin, but it didn’t show up on the highlights I watched. And I was looking for his number. Could be that he’s still rounding back into playing shape…

@Hoos9412 – Yes, I thought the same. Both that Moore looked good, and Moore looking good looked weird. To be fair, he does seem like the kind of guy that would shine more in that setting (scrimmage – fairly free flowing) than in a game setting. Also, I’m burying the lede – the real fun part is that I got an early season look at Jamie Luckie (they brought in ACC refs).

2 Likes

we know hoo owns ACC refs so makes sense

3 Likes

Don’t think it’s necessarily an ‘over’ situation. They could both easily start. And whichever one doesn’t start will most likely play starter level minutes off the bench.

From the Duke film I saw, the only one that jumped out to me was Mark Williams. If he gets the ball within 10 feet of the cylinder, he’s throwing it down. Offensive styles come and go. The trend now is for outside shooting and small ball. But if a team has a big that can dominate in the lane against smaller opponents, why not do that. I’d sacrifice an opponent’s big shooting 40% from 3-pt if my center is shooting 75% from 2-pt and patrolling the paint getting blocks and rebounds.

1 Like

Yeah, seriously. We know hitting 40% of your 3s is very good. Hitting 60% of your 2s is just as good, and really almost certainly better because you’re way more likely to draw a foul inside. Only an absolutely elite 3 point shooter is as valuable to his team as a big who can consistently convert 60+% of his 2s while being an offensive focal point (so, not just put-backs).

You’d also have the best center in the history of the sport lol

I didn’t say every game for his career. But he was 71-107 2-pt FG for 67% so he’s not that far off. That’s better than 40% from 3-pt. And he finished the season with a 23-pt, 19-reb game. I’ll take that over a small ball big.

1 Like

I know just giving you a hard time. I’m pretty high on Williams as a player but he wasn’t really in the scrimmage highlights I saw. A couple of uncontested dunks that any college big man could finish and he actually got burned a few times by Theo John. Maybe he’s the one who stuffed Keels at the rim? Couldn’t really tell which big it was. Was much more impressed with his play down the stretch last year than anything I’ve seen so far in the clips Duke’s put out.

If you guys want an actual ty jerome clone lol (makes sense since Ty Jerome also got the Vazquez comparisons). Eerily similar in terms of movement. A 2023 prospect on our radar (uva social media follows)

7 Likes

Fwiw, Pennie and Vecenie touched on Griffin and that Duke scrimmage video. Basic take was that they didn’t see him much, but you basically have to wait for real games to see what’s up. To which I say — “Boooo!! I want my hot takes now!”

1 Like
14 Likes

Eric Bossi (head 247 basketball scout) still a fan of Bond. Bossi has been pretty vocal that Bond is one of his favorite recruits in this class, hence Bond already being a top 50 recruit before the other services even ranked him. Bossi was at a few of the independent events this summer.

7 Likes

On Jeff Sheppard, am I reading this right? Jeff Sheppard redshirted but as a junior and not because of injury but because there were two guys ahead of him on the depth chart? Never seen something like that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1998/03/29/redshirt-season-pays-dividends-for-sheppard/e29b33c6-6b6c-42b8-8bfe-5e68d0b43940/

4 Likes