February 2023 - UVA Basketball

I wish we had clairty on Kadins situation. Not having an athletic 5 to go against teams with talented bigs decreases our versatility. Papi can bang but we all know his limitations. Hopefully Kadin’s sit can get resolved positively and he either gets healthy (physcially or mentally) or earns TBs trust back.

We are still in good shape in the standings if we can win these next two at home. But Burns will be a tough task for us especially if BVP plays the lions share at 5. The State guards will be tough to guard with their athleticism. Will be a big win if we can pull it out Tuesday. Filipowski will also give us matchup problems on Saturday. So two tough games, glad they are at home.

3 Likes

I think CTB knew our front court limitations s but hedged to the future w Traudt. He assumed Kadin would play like early season Kadin all year and that good BVP would shown up most nights, not every other. As you can tell by HGN tone about a mobile 4/5 being a transfer priory that the staff realized the issue but were hamstrung when it became crystal clear

If We don’t at least give Kadin a go Tues/Sat then my red flags will be way up. It’s not just Kyle it’s Lively. They’ll have 15 offensive boards if we can’t block him out

3 Likes

Personally, I thought Anthony Gill’s low-post play was pretty memorable, but for those who missed it, here is Exhibit A:

7 Likes

Thats not really back to the basket. That’s kind of the face up forward I was talking about. Maybe a hook shot here or there. But his game was mostly face up and slashing and feasting in that dunker spot.

Edit: I am wrong. There was a lot more back to the basket than I realize LOL. But I think having a forward who can do both is better than just a purely back to the basket big.

3 Likes

If Kadin doesnt become a factor at least , then we probably end up as a 4/5 seed and I will have a hard time picking us past the 1st weekend. Our offense can get us through the regular season but in post season we will run into good defenses and our inability to rim protect and guard talented bigs on good teams will be our downfall.

Tbh I don’t see Traudt here 5 years anyway so if Kadin is a lost cause I’d burn the shirt. Can still get 15 games out of this year so wouldn’t consider it a waste of a season à la Joey Baker. We need some length or the defense will continue to get killed in the paint and the only options seems to be Kadin and Traudt

6 Likes

The issue is I am not sure Traudt can get up to game speed at this point. It took McKneely and Dunn some game reps to be comfortable and that’s without the pressure/implications Traudt would be under if we were to burn his shirt now

5 Likes

Time to burn the shirt is way past. Either Kadin gets right (and I believe he will), or the team will make do. Kadin at 15-20 minutes against teams with a traditional 5 is going to be necessary.

5 Likes

After this week 4 of our last six games are against bad teams. Opportunity to get him minutes. None of us really know what is going on behind the scenes. I think he is a good guy and I hope it all works out well for him and UVA.

2 Likes

Also

Don’t lump Dunn and McKneely in with that group … combined for about the same amount of minutes as Ben…. Inconceivable

That’s the reason i didn’t understand his redshirt. He is not going to be here that long anyway

Also , Traudt is probably a better shooter than McKneely

In terms of nailing open looks from distance, this might be accurate.

However, I suspect that McKneely will be the coaches’ choice to come flying off a pin-down screen and catch and shoot with pace.

2 Likes

Seeing a lot of telescoping w/r/t Kadin’s situation. There are a few things that could be true. Vote for as many as you think are true.

Kadin views
  • Kadin didn’t take the leap we thought he might make earlier this season (say after Illinois)
  • Kadin wasn’t contributing offensively like we hoped he might / like would be ideal for our offense
  • Kadin wasn’t playing well leading up to and including the UNC games
  • Kadin hasn’t been playing much or at all recently so it can be inferred that he’s not playing well / not able to contribute
  • Kadin hasn’t been playing and inferring anything about that is a waste of time, but it can be assumed that he won’t be doing much going forward
  • Kadin hasn’t been playing and inferring anything about that is a waste of time, and who knows what will happen going forward
  • something is up between Kadin and some or all of the staff
  • Whatever is up or isn’t up, Kadin has a big role to play going forward, and he will play that role, especially against true 5s / big 5s / tall 5s

0 voters

Feels like the entire next JWilly show should focus on Kadin

7 Likes

Interesting that only 7 of 24 of voters think Kadin wasn’t playing well leading up to UNC. (Chalk some of those non votes up to poor poll design, though).

I think to a certain extent, Kadin got caught up in a bit of a whipsaw where his minutes were trimmed because of small ball (seems uncontroversial), perhaps more than staff intended if they were closely paying attention (mildly controversial), and (here comes the wild guess part, and likely controversial) maybe Kadin hasn’t reacted well, and maybe staff hasn’t reacted well to Kadin not reacting well.

6 Likes

Dante Harris Dunk

6 Likes

GIF by Saturday Night Live

2 Likes

Hope I’m not the only one who thinks Harris is gonna be a walking bucket in an actually structured offense. This dude is seriously talented, even if he’s backing up Reece next year I think he’s gonna be a fan favorite.

4 Likes