Football Coaching Hot Board

I’ve never seen a filmed locker room speech that wasn’t contrived and cheesy af.

1 Like

You’re a bundle of joy

3 Likes

Jeff Monken and the triple option is clearly the true answer. I miss watching GT try and pull it off at a P5 level. Those games were always unique, plus they weren’t half bad. Anyway, the forward pass was a mistake and it’s time we took it upon ourselves to prove it!

I am, of course, joking…. mostly. Part of me would love it, haha.

2 Likes

It would be hilarious to go from 50 yards per game rushing in one season to 50 yards per game passing in the next. We don’t do things halfway here at Virginia!

3 Likes

If GT didn’t have a halfway decent run under Paul Johnson I’d be laughing right now

1 Like

Damn that’s awesome. Feel like Dex would be someone like that who would be able to get people fired up about the program and get players/recruits bought in quickly.

1 Like

If Dex could get the master plan back on track he would be well worth the hire

8 Likes

My thinking too. If he could get the money flowing for the facilities upgrades, he’d set up himself or the next coach for a real chance at success.

8 Likes

Lol! I am immune to this stuff as well, you’re not alone. That, and my complete lack of any athletic ability, is why I was never any good at sports.

“Haney - you just heard an amazing motivational speech? Want to run through that wall?” Me - That brick one? Is that a joke?

However, after hearing Branagh’s St Crispin’s day speech, I have wanted to shoot some arrows at French people, so there you go…

2 Likes

I keep reading various people that have “keep Beck” on their wish list. Is that realistic? (I mean, I know these are called “wish” lists for a reason) I just figured the ex-BYU guys are mostly a package deal…

1 Like

We could offer him the head coach position. Would be a little of a crazy gamble, but he’s the guy on our staff everyone says has the most potential. And if we don’t keep him, he’ll probably be a fairly hot name and snagged for an OC or QB coach position elsewhere.

4 Likes

This. And I think he would. I’m trying not to let nostalgia cloud my judgement but I would be doing cartwheels if we got AP. We need a shot in the arm and he’s that guy imo

1 Like

I wasn’t a fan in the Dex era, so I don’t know his background. But I remember the hype for Mike London when he was hired seems to parallel some of the hype right now for Dex

Just hope the parallels stop there if he is the hire.

2 Likes

A few of the folks talking about a potential Dex hire also remind me of things like Georgetown hiring Ewing in basketball. And as his case has illustrated, it doesn’t always work out, and it’s very painful when it doesn’t.

7 Likes

Ask Nebraska fans what happens whem the prodigal son returns and can’t deliver.

For me I want AP to be in the best possible position for success and taking over uva right now is a major ask for any coach more or less a first time HC

8 Likes

What about, to be positive for a moment, Michigan hiring Juwan? (To be fair, there are more Ewings and Mullins and Drexlers than Howards…). I agree with @BDragon that this is a big ask for Dex.

4 Likes

Feel like it’s unlikely any staff from Bronco’s current staff (outside Hagans and maybe DL coach) want to stick. Those guys came for bronco and ride for one another, think no bronco is likely a deal breaker. That being said, I would love to be wrong and see Beck, 2J and, and Poppinga stick around

10 Likes

You need to bring someone who is going to be able to engage donors/fans from the start. The most important thing the next regime can do is get facilities built soon. There are very few options that can potentially do that and Dex is one of them. Although painful, if he doesn’t succeed on the field but bring new facilities, it would be worthwhile.

2 Likes

Feels like you’d need a critical mass or you’d get zero. And then once you’re getting a critical mass of Bronco holdovers, what was the point of all this?

Totally get that. I think its possible to invigorate the donor base and get things done without burning a bridge to AP or ruin a potentially bright career. AP has sacraficed enough for Virginia it’s time for us to do right by him.

2 Likes