Football Coaching Hot Board

I admittedly don’t know what motivates the Booster scene and especially ours. But I feel like logically donors would donate for 1) success on the field (and hope to continue that) or 2) because it was to influence the coaching decision.

Admittedly, I also don’t know where these big donors are hiding for UVA football or if they even exist. But I guess the point I’m trying to make is that it’s probably foolish to consider that hiring a UVA legend = donor engagement regardless of outcome.

2 Likes

Frost not succeeding at Nebraska perplexes me

4 Likes

As I only follow UVA football in the most casual way possible, I am curious what actual Hoo football fans think.

In 5 years the dream scenario would be…
  • Welsh like. Few losses. Beat tech regularly. Legit good bowl.
  • Bennett like. Nationally relevant. Dare I say, a championship actually possible

0 voters

If there were a 12 team playoff in Welsh’s day, I bet we are in it maybe twice? Less? More? I think you’re Welsh-like doesn’t quite capture that (though I am also a casual these days, and I’m not even sure if the 12-team thing is even really happening)

1 Like

Well it’s not like Dex doesn’t have any experience at coaching. I haven’t looked back to when exactly he started but he’s been coaching for about 20 years. If we could put a good group around him I believe Dex could fire up the fan base and probably the donor base . I also believe that Dex and Marquis would do a great job at recruiting the state

2 Likes

I may have underestimated the Welsh years, I was younger and football has never meant to me what basketball and baseball do. In the best of those years maybe we were a playoff team. But I also think many things have changed since then and I don’t think UVA football will ever be nationally relevant, even with a grand slam head coach hire.

2 Likes

Comes down to what Bronco’s actual plans are. If he’s really going to take a year or more off and decide what to do with his life, and the answer might not be football, then following Bronco is no longer an option for his staff unless he’s going to pay them to help his kids do their homework or train horses or whatever. Good coordinators are paid well, but not HC-level “can decide to retire at any moment on a whim”. Most of them probably aren’t ready to drop their football careers.

If that’s the case, they’ll need to go somewhere. Why not stay at UVA? Assuming, of course, that works out with whoever the new HC is.

5 Likes

Isn’t the knock on Pettine that he’s stubborn and not easy to get along with? If we’re considering an alum with NFL experience I’d give Mike Groh another look.

He wasn’t ready when he was here as OC, but solid resume since. Lead recruiter at Alabama, on the Eagles staff when they won the Super Bowl. Colts the last couple of years.

2 Likes

I mean if we’re saying “dream scenario” shouldn’t everyone answer “Bennett like”.

More realistically, I’d settle for Welsh like.

4 Likes

Ha. Fair enough. Even my dreams are pessimistic.

2 Likes

100% agree thought that was gonna be a slam dunk

1 Like

Donors have already stated that they would throw down money if dex was hired.

5 Likes

Oh awesome! Then yeah if that’s the case roll him out there and let’s fund the facilities.

3 Likes

I think welsh woulda made 3 or 4 12 team playoffs. *maybe agressive in remembering *

1 Like

How would we not be doing right by him? Assuming you surround him with quality coordinators, this is a home run for him too.

1 Like

I went realistic. Uva will never compete with the money of the sec. So winning a nati is out

3 Likes

Honestly, I think it only would have been 1989 when we won the ACC.

In 1990 we fell apart late. 1995 might have been our best team, but too many close losses that year.

1 Like

Nick Saban himself couldn’t win a national championship here.

4 Likes

If we surround him with great coordinators that he works well with. If we give deliver the facilities. If we give him enough leash to overall and recruit a talent base.

Not saying all that’s not possible but I think it’s unlikely. And the reality is the program would benefit from his steady hamd and fundraising but the next coach wouls reep the benefit pf APs hard work and He’s left with a .400 winning percentage and struggles to find a second opportunity.

I rather someone else bite the bullet and AP gets the benefit and reward.

You’re probably right. Between nostalgia CTE and bourbon my memory of exact records is cloudy.