General UVA Basketball Thread (December)

Lmao

1 Like

I follow JMU a good bit. Family went there. And I played against their coach back in the day so I’ve always kept track of his teams.

They’re good. But it’s systemy. They’re very transition oriented, extremely aggressive in looking for and even forcing transition opportunities. Their defensive philosophy is really more about creating offense than anything. Force a lot of turnovers, will press and trap etc. The one team that’s kept them under 70 possessions this year was Valpo, a loss.

They play small. Will trap the post to try to negate that but they’re very vulnerable to giving up offensive rebounds. Bigs for UNC and Valpo killed them in their losses.

9 Likes

HGN, what size role do you expect Ryan Dunn to have?

lol Dude I’m like the original Ryan Dunn cheerleader. I introduced him to you people.
Still very proud of that by the way. Someone told me TB was in Atlantic City and I figured out why without any tips. By the next day, someone there said UVA had the zoom call set up to offer. Love July.

Still think for now he’s in a situational role though. 9th man. Will play every game but it depends how things go if it’s a short stint. Keep earning trust, move up.

17 Likes

I’d venture to say he’s ahead of Caffaro in 8th now.

4 Likes

Sounds like Jayden and Kadin will have to produce Tues. Remember their 4/5 Wooten ate us up last year

1 Like

I’m just being glib as the resident Dunn super fan

1 Like

JMU has played 9 games … 7 teams have played 10 games … JMU has scored more points than all of them.
93 points per game - #1 in the country

JMU sucks

3 Likes

And against the best team they played they scored 64……

JMU added a couple good transfers. Definitely a better roster than last year. Like Wooden, Roanoke guy so I keep track of him, plays a lot less because they’ve brought in guys ahead of him.

4 Likes

JMU kenpom 78, sandwiched between Wake and Pitt. FSU 150. Ok I’m worried

After they play us, JMU plays Gallaudet. That must be an interesting program.

2 Likes

There is an amazing pizza place by Gaulladet if you are ever around H st

3 Likes

I also hate to say it but JPJ may not be as friendly for this game.

JMU will travel well. Their people actually care about sports. Chance to knock us off at #3? Would guess they will be grabbing any Stubhub ticket.

Hopefully the students drown them out.

6 Likes

This grad student along with 50% of the second Econ PhD students will be there. JMU won’t know what hit ‘em

11 Likes

Keep in mind that those metrics are from November. Take them with a grain of salt. JMU’s wins include Eastern Kentucky (4-4), South Dakota State (3-6), Coastal Georgia, Howard (4-7), Buffalo (4-4), Hampton (2-6) and the University of Valley Forge. ESPN holds UVF and Coastal Georgia in such high esteem that they don’t even bother to keep a record of their wins and losses. In short, JMU hasn’t defeated anyone with a winning record. At least, not a winning record in Div 1. Even their losses aren’t that impressive. Valparaiso is 3-5. JMU has played one team with a winning record (UNC at 5-3), and to them they lost.

2 Likes

At this early stage of the season, discussions of statistics are moot. For most teams roster turn over makes it hard to compare previous seasons.

I am reminded of a quote that i have heard often on radio sports talk shows. “If you torture the numbers enough, you can make them say whatever you want them to say”

3 Likes

Yeah, JMU scares me a little, not a lot. They barely beat us last year when we were pretty bad. This year, they’re better, but we’re much better. Guys will still have to make shots, but we should be able to feast on them inside.

So I thought it was just a lazy social media fan-base problem spelling Isaac McKneely’s last name without a K, but apparently even the official UVA Men’s Basketball twitter account & Jeff White can’t spell it correctly either. LOL!

7 Likes