General UVA basketball Thread November

UVA chatter not in threads threads here?

HOOOOOSSSSS

1 Like
15 Likes

That says a lot coming from Goodman… he normally undervalues us.

6 Likes

I feel like I’ve seen quite a few final 4 predictions…goodman and lunardi at least.
Right now I just want to see us play.

8 Likes

LOL we are officially overrated.

19 Likes

I just want to lose to Baylor and Houston by less than 15. If we win those games im poppin bottles.

5 Likes

Was just about to say I saw Lunardi predicted the Final 4 as well.

I’m with @WFS_HOO we are now over rated and yet I’m confident the Hoos are going undefeated.

10 Likes

Only way we are a final 4 team is if McKneeley is NCAAROY…so I guess it’s possible.

5 Likes

With these Final Four predictions, when the media person wants to avoid just picking #1-#4 in their rankings, they often will pick a team from different predicted seed lines instead. It’s a silly exercise.

1 Like

Yeah… here are Lunardi’s picks… not sure…

1 Like

I’m excited for this year but I don’t really see the path to a final four

6 Likes

If Kadin is a beast and Mckneely is truly bigger Kyle Guy then it could happen but aside from that I agree

1 Like

I don’t see it either. I think the “window” starts next year. Then again, I thought the window started in 18-19, and not 17-18, and we turned out to be pretty good that year. But one of life’s enduring mysteries is how good we were in 17-18… (and 19-20).

3 Likes

Realistically I have to believe everyone sees the path to the Final Four. The fixes of defensive rebounding and 3 point shooting are as straightforward as you’ll ever see in team sports.

Now how likely are we to solve both of those problems with high end outcomes? Tune in for the next 4 months.

1 Like

Wait, what?

Don’t get me wrong, I’d be beyond thrilled with that result. But, damn, how could expectations possibly be that high?

2 Likes

I mean, yeah. I see a path, but it requires enough to go right all at the same time that I think it’s unlikely that all those things happen. My list would be more like:

• Solve our size/athleticism issues WHILE ALSO
  • solving our perimeter shooting issues WHILE ALSO
  • solving our defensive and rebounding issues.

It’s a very easy list to type out. I just did it in ~45 seconds.

2 Likes

I think your first bullet underlies why the path doesn’t really exist. The players who will get a lot of playing time aren’t the guys with athleticism and size

2 Likes

Play Ryan Dunn 20 minutes per game and let him lead us to the promised land

4 Likes

1 and 3 are almost always solved by the same players lol so really just looking at 2 areas of concern. I suspect I’m much more bullish on the shooting than you are.

Which leaves me still thinking the defense will hold us back and we’ll be about 15th. But 15th is more than good enough to make a final four. Worse teams make it almost every year. Shouldn’t be the expectation obviously but I think the difference between a semi finalist and a round of 16 loser gets overblown. The gap there is much bigger culturally than on the actual basketball court.

2 Likes