General UVA basketball Thread November

I tend to agree but also think a lot of that is perspective. BvP being an MvP allows me to accept the idea that Traudt will be better after the red shirt

5 Likes

Pace of play makes absolutely no difference. We are a top 5 offence. Lead the nation in assisted baskets. Our offence is scoring faster and out on the fast break more. Our kick ass defence is what is limiting our possessions. I’ll take that all day long …

8 Likes

We’ll see … Murray’s redshirt year in Australia set him back I think … Murphy not redshirting set him back as far as actual production at UVA … I think. Papi is a fifth year … did a redshirt year actually help the program or simply take up a spot for someone better?
No way to tell if a redshirt year this year or actually playing games would have been better for Traudt.

2 Likes

:rotating_light: :rotating_light: :rotating_light: J-Willy show now on podcast feeds :rotating_light: :rotating_light: :rotating_light:

12 Likes

Does he clap there too?

4 Likes

Huh. Just noticed that for all the concerns about iMac not being enough of a sniper, he’s #2 on the team in 3s made (behind only Franklin) and he’s tied with Clark for #2 on the team in 3s attempted.

Of course, casual memory of the games suggests that a large chunk of his attempts come in garbage time and when it matters he plays very passively, deferring heavily to the starters. But he’s already made as many 3s as Taine made all of last year, so my hope is that he’s at least getting volume of reps in and as his confidence builds he’ll shoot more earlier in games.

16 Likes

Yep and he’s 2nd in 3 pt % behind only Beekman

3 Likes

Ha. Imagine that

2 Likes

To my eyes, it also looks like teams have already started focusing on him at the 3 pt line. Honestly, it’s probably going to be much tougher sledding for all our shooters now that teams know we aren’t one of the worst shooting teams in the country again. But that should open things up for Jayden.

4 Likes

Hate to be the one to bring it up but artty is 2/9 last 2 games.

3 Likes

I just think he’ll always be hot and cold. What will hopefully make him a better shooter than last year is to limit these cold streaks. He’s still sitting over 40% on the year so we’ll see how that number trends

3 Likes

I think you left out one element in Traudt’s decision which is worth mentioning. He has Type I Diabetes. At home, I suspect his parents helped reinforce the discipline required to keep it under control. Leaving that sort of structured environment presents a whole new set of challenges for him, and his health should be everyone’s paramount concern. Using a redshirt year may make the transition a bit more successful. As you noted, there is no way to tell in advance, but I have a suspicion this is the better course. Also, with the way Vander Plas has played thus far, it’s unlikely that Traudt would have been on the court for more than meagre minutes.

11 Likes

Funny how one or two clunkers makes one immediately wonder if he has reverted to last year’s production. Was thinking it as you, but at this point you have to assume those are the outliers. He has far more good ones recently.

1 Like

Yes I’m aware … I’ve been following him since his sophomore year … great kid and great family …
Good point as I know it was a crazy transition for me my first year coming from a family where neither parent went to college … very much a wake up call to adulthood and responsibility.
Probably took one class too many the 1st semester while balancing basketball and a 20 hour work week.
I hope in the long run it works for him and UVA better than playing since that’s what he decided.
For me my sophomore year I was so much more comfortable - so for him it could mean the same and he comes out guns ablazin’ next season!

6 Likes

[Drafted, but deleted RS rant. Merry early Christmas. You’re all welcome. You can’t say I never did nothing nice for youse guys.]

5 Likes

Andy Katz has moved UVA down to 11 for winning our game this week

11 Likes

He has to make room for all the shiny new Maui invitational teams. Plus, for UVA haters, it’s easy to say our 3pt production vs Baylor was a fluke.

And has Duke at 9….clown behavior.

6 Likes

Seeing Scheyer try to get upset and be demonstrative is kinda funny. Not his nature it seems

2 Likes

The Katz top 10 for those who haven’t seen it. This has to be an intentional troll, right?

7 Likes