General UVA basketball Thread November

That’s right Dave. If we can make it to the Final Four then we damn sure should win it.

3 Likes

I think we are going to see Traudt and Dunn against Monmouth

9 Likes

Monmouth was pretty good last year but they lost all their top players. Leading returning scorer averaged 5 points off the bench. No notable transfer additions either.

5 Likes

Seton Hall beat Monmouth by 27

3 Likes

Monmouth went 2-20 from 3 last night, so be prepared for them to shoot at least 60% from downtown tomorrow night…

13 Likes

Definitely hitting their first

5 Likes

Tony will tighten the rotation to 6.5 players in the second half as we get regression-to-the-mean’d.

1 Like

As long as Isaac is the 6 and not the half :wink:

3 Likes

So… Reece, Kadin, Jayden, Armaan, BVP, Isaac, and Kihalf?

11 Likes

It gets worse… of the players that played in Monmouth’s first game, they are 20 of 94 (21.3%) from 3 in their careers.

I’m so ready for them to hit 13 of 24 three’s against us tomorrow.

9 Likes

Mick is #6, BVP playing in a walking boot is the .5.

1 Like

“I think Virginia is a little better than last year, and for people putting them like top ten — is crazy, and maybe a little bit led by KenPom groupthink… they’re not a top ten team, it’s the same roster as last year, plus Vander Plas — that doesn’t make them a top 10 team.”

• Jim Root of 3MW reacting to our 1st game

He might not be entirely wrong but it’s definitely not the same roster as last year. Kody was our 7th man last year. This year he’d be like 11th

17 Likes

That won’t matter much if we only go 7 deep.

2 Likes

Well, sort of. Caffaro was our 6th man and Stattman was 7th. Today, those spots are held by BVP and Mick and Caffaro is… probably 8th, we’ll see. So that’s an improvement. Plus, you’d expect the starters to have meshed better.

2 Likes

Root has been very UVa skeptical this offseason and preseason. Skeptical is a bit strong – just basically what he says there: they’re better but not top 10 better.

He’s also said that he’d have predicted us higher if Kihei were gone. Note: that’s Jim Root, folks, not Tim Haney. Send him your hate mail. I’ve been through the Kihei wars and I’m enjoying my personal armistice. At some point, Kihei will leave the program and we will get to discuss other things (maybe).

7 Likes

Honestly, did anyone watch our last game and think…wow, that’s a top 10 team? I know I didn’t…doesn’t mean we aren’t a lot better.

11 Likes

I watched it and thought pleasantly that my optimistic guess of 7-seed or so seems within reach, but others think that’s a very pessimistic take. It’s a fan message board, after all…

2 Likes

I don’t think we are but UNC also didn’t look great game one. NCCU didn’t have a lot of dumb unforced turnovers that you would expect

2 Likes

While I certainly wouldn’t say we looked like a top 10 team, I would say that NC Central didn’t look like the 250th ranked team in the country. They impressed me a little

5 Likes

Justin Wright looked legit. He knows how to use his size well, which is not a great matchup for us when a guard knows how to do that. Why? Oh, no particular reason. No particular reason at all.

5 Likes