General UVA basketball Thread November

And in case anyone has not seen

4 Likes

This is why Virginia is the MOST UNDERRATED team in college basketball! | Field of 68

8 Likes

We were literally preseason top 5 the Hauser season. People have just totally memory holed that year because of McKoy’s Covid bout

8 Likes

Interesting. So the plan was to play Traudt vs Monmouth and instead he made the decision to redshirt.

Dont think it’s ominous. Even if we look at worst case scenario of transferring out why would he redshirt instead of just playing for a year and then going to Creighton for 3. Im not worried.
Also because I messaged him on instagram about volunteering at the summer camp I worked at for 4 summers while at UVA (Camp Holiday Trails) about volunteering for the Diabetes kids camp session and he said he would be down.

18 Likes

Floor spacing

3 Likes

It ominous because the traudt I thought he could be doesn’t need to redshirt.

3 Likes

It’s also ominous because the expectation was he would play this year, even if sparingly, so he could start next year.

Yep! You don’t RS. You want to get as much play on tape ff you’re thinking you want to transfer.

4 Likes

Looking ahead to next year, would a Beekman-McKneely-Dunn-Traudt-Shedrick lineup be the most complete starting five Tony has ever trotted out? That lineup has everything you want. Embarrassment of riches…

7 Likes

That’s not ominous just a potential wrong assessment.

I will concede it worries about his mental toughness. It’s either a shrewd and aware 18 yr old. Or he’s kwame brown.

5 Likes

What worries me about the red shirt is not the possibility of a transfer….

Scheyer: OK, I’ve got twelve 5 stars coming in with you at your position. I know people say you won’t play. You might not but probably you will. Maybe. There’ll be another ten 5 starts to compete with next year but I’m sure you’ll be OK.

Duke recruit: sign me up coach. I’m betting on myself.

Coach Bennett: We’ll isaac, you played great in Italy, great in practice. You get to play college basketball this year! isn’t that great?! You’ll play a little and get to learn on the job and next year, no one’s ahead of you. You’ll have a year of in game experience. The sky is the limit. Exciting right?!

Traudt: meh. I’m good. I want to red shirt.

5 Likes

If you are a TJ Power type recruit watching the Traudt situation, you are saying what all those other coaches told me about Virginia is true.

We’re missing information here, it just doesn’t compute.

8 Likes

Hunter turned out fine after redshirting/wasn’t mentally weak. It’s the same sort of decision.

If you are a TJ Power recruit you are looking at how McKneely is playing right away. And you understand traudt has 3 players ahead of him in the front court all gone next year.

7 Likes

Hunter looked like a paper clip and had surgery on his ankle?

Traudt was a top 50 esque recruit who looks much more physically developed than we’ve had in years

1 Like

What doesn’t compute? There aren’t enough minutes to give Traudt more than an handful a game, at which point the value of redshirting for even just the fast track strength program alone, and to a much lesser extent, eligibility benefits, outweigh playing limited time this year.

3 Likes

There are two other factors: academics and managing his diabetes during the transition to college that may be at play here.

7 Likes

DeAndre Hunter was cooking 5 stars in that last summer and someone close to the program told me he thought Hunter would be gone in a year or two (before the redshirt decision). Of course he would be more hype than the grounded coaches of course.

Traudt has a current ankle bothering him and THREE players ahead of him who will be gone next year. BVP fills that Traudt role.

5 Likes

Gotta disagree there. Traudt is going up against Shed, Papi, and BVP, then goes small ball against Dunn and Bond in practice. I think he would be helpful this year, but I can see where he needs strength and more lateral quickness (remember, he was a foul machine in the scrimmage - result of being behind or getting muscled to bad position down low).

I’m going with the Dre model. I think it’s an acceptable choice, but could go either way. Regardless, the kid will be a monster in two years.

2 Likes

I don’t get the hand wringing over Traudt. I joke about it. But I see this as likely a good thing. If they kid didn’t think he’s ready no sense in trotting him out there. Its a schools job to develop players. Crushing his confidence and potential if hes not ready doesn’t serve anyone.

With IMK and Dunn CTB is once again proving he plays first yrs who are ready.

The only ones who perpetuate the lie he does not are opposing coaches and the fan forums

7 Likes

One thing about IMK and no offense to Beeks, but when Kihei is gone next year, this is Mac’s team. He’s just a leader much in the way of Ty. You see the other players respond to him. Another reason why Traudt ain’t going anywhere - Mac won’t let him.

6 Likes