Generic NCAA Tourney Bubble Watch

What’s up with the balding Providence player? haha Couldn’t help but notice him in the postgame celebration. Dude looks 35.

1 Like

Luckiest team in America!

How I imagine the rest of the Big East feels:

3 Likes

I’m adopting this guy as one of my new favorites. I’ve been trying to find a good picture to capture it but he’s got the bald spot in the back going on. Just incredible.
https://twitter.com/THEChrisMack/status/1495470720649940996

5 Likes

My boy got that hole in his hair. And still looks 4 yrs younger than Moore from Miami.

5 Likes

He’s talking about some other Non ACC team that we can potentially play.

Obviously not all results on a given night are going to our way - so I’m following but not letting it bother me - but if you’re looking for rooting interests for Monday night, I’ve got the following for bubble teams:

OHIO ST over Indiana
LOUISVILLE over UNC
WEST VIRGINIA over TCU
ILLINOIS ST over Loyola Chicago
PACIFIC over USF

I’m guessing at most two of those go our way, but who knows! Today we benefited slightly from Rutgers, Michigan, and Washington St losing but the Creighton and Mississippi St wins were not what we wanted. But hey, 3 out of 5 isn’t bad.

6 Likes

The five lowest NET-ranked teams to get an at-large bid were … 2019 St. John’s (NET: 73); 2021 Wichita State (72); 2021 Michigan State (70); 2019 Arizona State (63) and 2019 Minnesota (61).”

Michigan State and St. John’s both had 5 Q1 wins in those years.

NET isn’t end-all-be-all, but at 81 currently, in addition to winning games, we need a blowout or two.

6 Likes

Love this idea. One potential candidate based on conference tournament schedules/time between games:

Colorado State: 21-4, NET 31; same Saturday-Saturday gap

3 Likes

Need to smack Louisville. Haven’t seen them play in a while but I’m hoping they’re at the “I just wanna go home” phase of a disaster season by the time we play them

3 Likes

That would be interesting. Didn’t they used to have a “bracket busters” week for mid-majors, where they had a hole in their schedule to allow better teams to play each other for a chance at a defining win against good competition? Maybe if all the major conferences left a hole in their schedules and could opt in to an extra game against other bubble teams. Teams not on the bubble could opt for an open date for a break.

I don’t suppose it would ever happen. I can’t think of major conference teams playing any unscheduled games late in the season.

Edit: Not a bubble take, but: Duke used to schedule a high-octane February game every year to prepare themselves for March. From 1988 to 2011-12, they scheduled Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Temple, and St John’s either home-and-home or neutral floor to prepare for a big-game atmosphere. Those games were fun to watch. There are a lot more ACC games to work around nowadays.

2 Likes

Senior night usually gets the best out of a team

Very good point

Iona moved up 6 spots to #72 by beating Fairfield at home by 18. They were favored by 11.5. So still doesn’t take much to climb for teams in that range. I think it was just an especially bad weekend for UVA’s past opponents, sort of blunted the Miami win.

3 Likes

Palm, like Lunardi, is a clown but we’re not even if these conversations. Our really only chance is to finish 2-1 w the lose to Duke and go 2-1 in the tourney with a win against hopefully Duke Wake or ND

1 Like

Yeah. The reality is that the team has too many losses. Sure, they have some really good wins, but the only way you can have double-digit losses and still feel good about your chances is if you’re in a murderous conference with a crushing Strength of Schedule. ACC this year is not murderous and our SoS is fine but not extraordinary. Syracuse making it a few years in a row should be recognized as the miracle it was.

1 Like

I’d really enjoy a few home NIT games and a run to MSG

Didn’t realize this guy was still around. He used to almost copy/paste RPI rankings into his bracket. Treated it like a bible.

3 Likes

We talk about Navy and JMU, but that 17 point home loss to Clemson is a real NET drag as well.

Clemson was 9-4 after that they beat UVA at JPJ. They’re 3-11 since.

NC State was 10-10 after blowing us out. And 1-6 since.

6 Likes

I forgot about the NC State romp. Thats a very bad loss to a bad team.

Both those conference blowouts hurt more than the mid major loses

2 Likes

Clemson also had their best player who has been out the last several weeks. Quantitative systems don’t routinely pick this stuff up. A committee with real humans including folks who follow the conferences closely might

1 Like