Generic NCAA Tourney Bubble Watch

We play FSU on Saturday, no midweek game, then play Louisville the next Saturday. I’m saying since we havent used our full allotment of games we should exhaust every avenue possible to play a game in that empty midweek between FSU and Louisville. If they can’t find an opponent fine but to not try would be negligent imo

1 Like

I understood that. I’m saying they both have midweek games

I love the out if the box thinking, but even if we were thinking of it (which we probably won’t) we’ll likely need that week for Armaan’s toe to maybe slightly heal before the ACC tourney. Throwing in another game wouldn’t be great in that sense. Honestly, while it’s been mentioned, I feel like it’s a pretty big deal and could really derail things. Hopefully he’s able to get right, but neither a fracture or turf toe (the most common toe things) are good at all, and all that heals them is rest.

3 Likes

Guess I’m trying to figure out why two teams way away from the bubble’s midweek schedules are relevant to ours? Or what either of their midweek schedules have to do with what I am saying lol

Man I just won’t to start playing a 31 game schedule like most of the rest of power 5 teams lol never gonna break the season win record without it!

1 Like

I think you guys are talking past each other like it’s a sketch. I think @Hoos9412 is saying we should schedule some other team (would have to be OOC) between the FSU and Lou games, not play one of them twice in that span. Correct me if I’m wrong.

3 Likes

I just got it. You’re saying play a game the WEEK between FSU and Louisville. I read it as you saying we should play FSU or Louisville. Sorry.

Yes, I agree we should.

1 Like

You’re right

1 Like

Exactly. Or Wideman and Williams should at least try to make it happen

1 Like

Call Iona. Pitino may want one more shot at Tony—kind of like Stockholm syndrome.

6 Likes

I mentioned something about Q1 games on twitter last night and got some responses that made me realize a lot of fans aren’t familiar with it all. Understandably considering we haven’t had to deal with it. So I laid out the bubble basics.

15 Likes

Bart Torvik has us with roughly a 5% chance to get in. That seems pretty low to me? maybe like 20-25% if I had to guess

Last time I looked, pre Miami, he thought we needed to run the table to get in.

If you just do the Kenpom probabilities, 5% sort of makes sense. Eg, chances of winning both Lville and FSU is about 30%. If we lose one of those, we are probably on the wrong side of the bubble.

I might say more like 10%, but it’s in the ballpark.

I’d say Kenpom is underrating is a little bit at this point, but even if so, what are the odds we win both? 40%?

Just to play it out: does 2-1 with a Duke loss and a loss in round 1 get us in? I doubt it. I think 2-1 and one ACCT win has us in the 50-50 category, hoping for no bid thieves. The path is still pretty narrow, IMO.

1 Like

Yeah, I spent way too much time last night looking at the bubble. Kept trying to convince myself we were in better shape than where prognosticators generally have us, but couldn’t really. While having three Q1 wins is nice compared to some other ACC teams, it’s not at all special relative to a lot of other bubble teams. The ACC just did so poorly in OOC play this year. Frustrating. I mean the WCC and Mountain West may get as many bids as us this year.

5 Likes

Play at Chattanooga. They are top 75 so it’s a Q1 opponent and very winnable. Their season ends on Saturday and have 6 days off before their conference tournament starts (same week that we’re off). They would probably love to have an ACC school come to their place.

2 Likes

Ruh roh

I don’t think a Providence loss will matter too much for us. They are solidly a Q1 win even if they lose some games.

2 Likes

Are they? The advanced metrics don’t like them. Just checked we good

FRIARS

2 Likes