Hoos Football Season 2022: A New Era

PERK

10 Likes

Press conference after first full scrimmage of the fall:

TLDR: Hollins is slowly driving Coach crazy, O-line is banged up, offense outperformed defense on the day

4 Likes

Joe Reed had a nice play too.

6 Likes

Scrimmage clips

4 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChP_zdhuAOH/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

1 Like

Bringing back the 90s helmets, this is beautiful

4 Likes

I like the helmets, but somebody needs to get their history straight. That first Polaroid says “Est. 1990.” We didn’t start wearing the V-Sabres and blue jerseys/helmets until 1994.

4 Likes

And in the 90s, we only used Polaroids to confuse Lenny from Memento. (Good point though - I thought 1990 was early…)

5 Likes

Some new small videos dropped today

3 Likes

Yup I eat this stuff up. Gets the old athlete and coach in me fired up.

Edit: Legit most fired up I’ve been about a Virginia football season since Groh 04.

10 Likes

I’ve been trending down on football in general recently, and UVa football specifically since the doldrums of the London era. And I’ve been pretty vocal about finding Bronco to be a bit of an oddball in ways that I did not find charming. So I’m willing to give Tony Elliott a bit of my attention for a few years to figure out a good niche for UVa football.

So I’ve been starting to ramp up my football content assumption. But it seems to boil down, a lot, a lot, to the O-Line. If it’s a travesty, we will struggle to be mediocre, if it’s mediocre, maybe we can get to a bowl. Etc. Is this correct, basically?

5 Likes

I’m typically the same camp as you. Maybe a bit more bullish on firing Bronco obviously.

I have low expectations for this year’s team on the field, honestly think they will be a 5ish win team. But I’m definitely consuming more content and genuinely interested in the upcoming season which is the first time I’ve felt this way since Chris Long’s final season.

3 Likes

With this schedule and Brennan+ receiving corps we better win more than 5 games. Not a good sign for the Elliott era if we don’t. 2023 should be the 5 win season when we are breaking in a new QB, new WRs, and don’t have the easiest schedule out of any P5 (or former P5 lol) team in the country.

2 Likes

I think coaches should mostly get a free pass in their first season

4 Likes

I like your overview and generally agree. I wouldn’t be surprised at a 7 win season an 8 would be impressive and 9 would be everything went about as well as possible. I’m remaining more pessimistic just due to the combo of adjustment to new everything, questions on the oline questions on the defense and the required 1 wtf game every ACC team gets per season.
Looks like Vegas has the O/U at 7.5… give me the under sorry Hoo fans.

We will find out if the offensive numbers we had were a product of the talent or a product of the scheme. Brennan’s throws are still wonky and the move to a more traditional style football may be painful with our shallow o-line reservoir.

1 Like

It’s not about a free pass or not. No one is going to be calling for his job if this year doesn’t go well. The problem is that the trajectory will not be good. We didn’t get a recruiting bump from the new staff and 2023 is probably going to be a non-bowl season. This staff needs something positive on the field to jump start recruiting. 2 straight losing seasons and we will be entering 2024 with a program devoid of talent. At that point Elliott’s job would become a Herculean task.

3 Likes

Eh Elliott’s system isn’t that different. The o line questions are legitimate but there are plenty of QBs with worse arms than Brennan that have thrived under the Morris tree of offenses. His throwing motion is what will keep him out of the top 3 rounds of the draft but shouldn’t be a problem in a Morris-style offense at the college level.

1 Like

This is a good point. It may be easier to get to a bowl this season, then next. And if we go two non-bowl seasons in a row, that may be a drag on recruiting momentum that we are trying to build up…

I hear chatter that the schedule is pretty favorable, so hopefully that helps.

3 Likes

I don’t think a bowl game is unreasonable.

Got to go 4-3 minimum to start the season, and 5-2 run in that stretch is probably likely. The back half of the schedule is going to be dicey as cliché as it is, they just need to win the games they are supposed to win and go .500 on the rest and it could be a great season.

4 Likes