Hoos Football Season 2022: A New Era

Part of Bronco’s attractiveness is his availability right now. Do you really think he’d have some Nebraska/Colorado/Wisconsin bidding war after another 6-6 season? One school *might talk themselves into it but they’d also have to justify a buyout for a .500 ACC coach.

I don’t think Wisconsin would want Bronco.

They’ve had enough weirdo coaches that have screwed them in similar fashion to how Bronco screwed UVa.

Edit: oh yeah, missed the context. Agreed.

1 Like

Retreads aren’t sexy hires, but certain ones could work. Cutcliffe was a retread and he was a perfect fit at Duke for a while. A guy like Bret Bielema might’ve done well here. You know with him you’re getting a power run offense. Mike Leach, Mario Cristobal, Lane Kiffin. Getting fired didn’t impede their future success.

I think Chryst will do well in his next job. Frost could do well, but his Nebraska teams just kept making dumb mistakes that don’t reflect well on him. Fuente should be able to take the Chad Morris or Sonny Dykes path through a G5 school back to a P5 job. Bill O’Brian would do well at a bigger job. Wouldn’t trust him to do more with less. If Matt Ruhle wants to give college another try, he’ll do fine anywhere.

2 Likes

Fwiw, Athletic ranks teams 1-131. We are #83, but three teams left on the schedule are still below us (VPI 85, Louisville 87, GT 89). I also refuse to believe we won’t have a decent chance of beating Coastal Carolina. Full schedule, fwiw – and for the record, I have no idea if this is a decent ranking or not:

• Lville (87)
  • at GT (89)
  • Miami (53)
  • UNC (39)
  • Pitt (49)
  • Coastal (44)
  • at VPI (85)
3 Likes

Very true. I’m not against retreads in general. When I said retreads I was thinking of either coach who has bounced around a ton with varying degrees of success but mostly nothing sustained. Or a guy who is more going through the motions and on the back end of his career.

Cutcliffe is an exception to the rule that worked out very well. I thin Bielema works because he was hungry to prove that he wrongly fired at Neb. and he lad a lot left in the tank. Mario is the example of sometimes you get the spot too soon. FIU didn’t work out go back under the Saban tree, a stint in Eugene and he’s born anew coming home. Lane is Lane but there’s a drive there same with Leach. I guess the key for me is it can be a retread but all those guys were out to prove something.

Honestly I think any coach can be successful at Virginia they just have to find the right one, but I think they can come with any of the resumes we’ve talked about and win if they are the right fit.

1 Like

I think Elliott is the right coach for UVa. Dude has found a way to win his entire life. He will find a way to win here at UVa. We know it will take 3-ish years to get his players and install his culture. He may decide to change out a few assistants along the way. I don’t think anyone can argue Elliott has more talent on this team than Bronco did last year when he limped in with a .500 record. We need to be realistic about what is possible with a terrible OL and a bunch of no-name gamers on defense.

2 Likes

Just rumors but word around Cville right now is locker room is toxic at the moment. Major rift between coaches and players.

Sounds like this could get really ugly before it gets better.

Good news for Tony is he basically has 2.5 more years to right the ship. We can’t afford to send him packing any sooner.

8 Likes

I know zero but watching games it is kinda palpable

12 Likes

Definitely a “Do as I say, not as I do” vibe from Tony’s latest post game (talking about how players have to contain emotion).

I would assume it goes further than Tony though if there is a rift.

Agree with Fresh toxicity in the locker room is not surprising the players body language has shown it since game one.

I also don’t think it’s necessary a bad thing. The players didn’t commit to Coach Elliott and Coach Elliott didn’t pick them and is now asking most of them to do things drastically different than before and I imagine that transfers to off the field as well.

For me the true measure of Coach Elliott will be in yr 3 not year 1.

5 Likes

Yep, he should have a clean chance for success. Not surprised there are some locker room rumblings. When CTB arrived, he had to make some changes and several players didn’t make it - notably Landesberg. Bronco also had his share of departures.

1 Like

Soeaking if Landesburg…

4 Likes

How is Duke not struggling the same as us? We whopped them last year. They have much worse talent than us and also have a new first time head coach.

3 Likes

Hmm what prompted that all of a sudden. Also sidenote I hate those type of messages “I’m not saying/naming names, I’m not talking about me… but all those other guys who had the exact situation I had…”

7 Likes

I have some complex/conflicting thoughts on that tweetstorm, but cmon, Syl, don’t put this on Flushing / Holy Cross. Pretty sure the priests there made it clear that class attendance was table stakes. Should Tony have granted a second chance? I don’t know nearly enough about the context to really say. Are second chances good in general? Yes, of course. Also, look at @DFresh11 slipping this into the football thread… :joy:

6 Likes

Exactly I agree with the overall premise of college students are kids and they make mistakes and sometimes need a second chance. There is also a limit to how many and how big of a mistake you can have and eventually a consequence has to happen. But with only getting one side of that story, it’s tough to bye in on all of it. The whole thing feels unnecessary

5 Likes

Right? It’s a bit odd. I get the general vibe, but how did the thing follow him? Was the GM of Hapoel Holon or Maccabi or whoever, like, gee Syl, I’d give you more $$ this time around but I’m a bit worried you still can’t name Van Gogh’s top 5 paintings.

5 Likes

Vase with pink roses

Terrace at night

Bulb fields

Wheat fields

Starry night maybe?

7 Likes

Oooh, look at you. Nobody’s labeling you a bad kid.

3 Likes

Was it art history? Or studio art? (need to keep my jokes historically accurate)

1 Like