Hoos Going Pro 2021-22 NBA Season

4 Likes

Ughhh I don’t like Joel Embiid…I can root for Cybrogs and Mike Scott but not the rest.

Well, Brogdon was a second round pick, he can’t possibly amount to much.

2 Likes
8 Likes

He tried to tell us man!

7 Likes

Imagine if Trey had actually redshirted last year as he initially planned. He would be a beast this season. What could have been! (That said, appreciate his contributions to another ACC regular season title)

5 Likes

This keeps up, they’re going to recycle that old Michael Jordan/Dean Smith joke. Who’s the last person to hold Trey Murphy to less than 20 ppg? Tony Bennett.

Seriously, if this keeps up I’m going wonder how a guy can average 20 ppg in the NBA as a rookie and only 11 ppg at UVA.

3 Likes

This is what they call the butterfly effect- If you change something from the past it most DEFINITELY would change the future. Maybe he DOESN’T play well this upcoming season, or gets hurt etc. etc.

2 Likes

Idk if that would be the case. Trey’s one of those guys that has a game that is perfect for the better spacing of the NBA. Think he was always going to be one of those weird cases where he is a better pro than college player.

2 Likes

More possesions in NBA, also faster pace in general than college (and of course we are at the end on the college spectrum) = you can push out the ball and find the open lagging 3pt shooter.

I do hope we find different ways to generate points when our half court sets are struggling. Pushing the ball to find the open player vs unset defense, Jayden drawing fouls downlow and getting any of their stud bigs into foul trouble. Reece could penetrate but was stuck in the corner a lot. Kihei would drive and then pivot but no one would bite after a few games. Also teams learned not to help off our big shooters who couldn’t dribble.

3 Likes

And to be fair, he had no preseason last year with UVA at all. To be a double figure scorer for us and play very good defense as well was quite an accomplishment. We didn’t really have the dribble penetration and kick guys that the NBA has either to set him up.

4 Likes

I think Trey also ended up in a very good NBA situation for his playstyle. His role in New Orleans is just to space the floor, shoot threes, be a smart cutter, and play solid defense — all things he demonstrated in college. That team already has Zion and Brandon Ingram to handle the ball & create for themselves.

Good on the Pelicans for not doing what some dysfunctional NBA teams do with their draft picks and immediately trying to shove a square peg into a round hole (forcing Trey to be a player he isn’t yet).

10 Likes

Trey didn’t need to improve on volume scoring. He came to UVa to work on the other parts of the game and become an NBA talent.

3 Likes

He didn’t need to be a volume scorer but if someone is shooting 50/40/90 they should be utilized more frequently.

1 Like

Yeah I think the *issue (if we can call it that) is that Sam was already in that stretch 4 spot, which is what Trey should have played in our system. I Love both the guys so I’m not really complaining.

Again the ACC champions :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Will add here that Trey and Sam and Jay were all great shooters, but unfortunately a lot of what they did wasn’t complementary, but rather duplicative. Take one of those guys out and insert Jayden? Much better team. Just like you add Sam or Trey to next years team and it would be much better.

I can’t say that having Sam shoot it or Jay shoot it was necessarily a worse choice last year than having Trey shoot it. And Sam was a bit more versatile that Trey.

5 Likes

When I had chance to ask TB before the season what we all could expect from Sam he had a really interesting response “Sam knows very well who he is as a basketball player at this point”.

I think was not the case with Trey being thrown into a new team as a junior etc. Alot of his season was figuring out who he is as a basketball player. And now its becoming clear that he knows who he is now. Growing and develooment and UVa gave him a lot of those tools

9 Likes

That was my biggest takeaway from last season. The pieces did not fit well together, especially with those 3. The talents did not compliment each other. Essentially you had 3 guys were good to great as spot up shooters, but not so much off the bounce. Add in the lack of training time and ability to gel together and you get a hitch in your offense. Especially when you have a few guys pressing because they are trying to make the most of the moment. I’d dare say the moment Trey knew he was going to play last season, he knew he was going to go to the league and he understood he needed to make the most of it.

6 Likes

Problem is I’m not sure these pieces are super complementary either

2 Likes

Offense will be marginally better than 2019/2020.
Defense will be marginally better than 2020/2021

Or if you’re a glass half empty kinda guy.

Offense will be marginally worse than 2020/2021.
Defense will be marginally worse than 2019/2020.

4 Likes