Hoos Going Pro 2021-22 NBA Season

Good for Jay, Count me in the camp for thinking he would not land a spot. Not sure he sees mins in LA but at least he’ll get to keep playing and training.

2 Likes

I’m laughing at the thought of Jay in practice with Russ, Rondo and Lebron.

He’s going to learn toughness and intensity. Should probably check the corny jokes at the door.

9 Likes

I’m not stunned he got a two-way deal. Huff has some serious limitations but also a set of skills that are very rare. In essence, why not stash him instead of one of a trillion decent but not great guards

4 Likes
14 Likes

Interesting was that more of restructure to help the Pacers with cap space? Or them locking Brogs in as their guy?

Congrats Malcolm. Living off of that compound interest must be AMAZING!

3 Likes

Saw from a Sixers beat reporter that the restructure means Malcolm can’t be traded this season. So yeah, amid Simmons trade rumors, Pacers confirming that Brogdon is their guy.

9 Likes

From Woj…

“Brogdon’s extension speaks to the Pacers’ intentions to continue building with him as a centerpiece for the start of Rick Carlisle’s tenure as coach. Brogdon averaged 21.2 points, 5.3 rebounds and 5.9 assists a season ago.”

5 Likes

Forgot Carlisle was in Indy now. Interested to see who they bring in around him. They still need a bucket getter.

I also forgot this when the Mad Ants (G League team) brought in Justin, who played for Carlisle for a couple years.

1 Like

TJ Warren can be that guy if he gets healthy. Maybe Caris Levert as well.

A Brogdon Levert Warren Sabonis Turner lineup ain’t bad. Jeremy lamb if he’s healthy can provide a spark off the bench for them.

4 Likes

I like Levert a lot and liked that addition last year. Warren has the potential but his health and some inconsistency issues make me a little leery. Love a floor spacer who can slash some to open it up off the Sabonis Brogs pick-n-roll

Pacers are a weird team. They were definitely less than the sum of their parts last season. They have a starting lineup of five above-average players, including two borderline All-Stars (Brogdon and Sabonis) and a very good coach in Rick Carlisle this year. And yet I’m still hesitant to expect anything more than the play-in from them.

8 Likes

Agree, that’s why I was thinking they needed another scorer. Because I just don’t see that core making waves in the East and getting anything above a 6 seed. They’re almost stuck in a purgatory.

2 Likes

I like the Pacers when healthy, but their ceiling is a 4 seed in the East.

2 Likes

Agree with everyone. They’ll be solid but will probably never win a playoff series with their current construction. But that’s been the purgatory they’ve been in for a long time now, although Paul George gave them a slightly higher ceiling for a while, but still not very high.

Honestly that’s why I had hoped Brogdon would get traded to Philly. Him with Embiid and their core would be contending for the one and two seed in the East and maybe a championship if everything shook out right. But I guess Malcolm likes where he’s at, and if he’s happy, that’s great and honestly most important.

5 Likes

Milwaukee, Nets, Atlanta Philly, Miami I’d expect to all finish above the Pacers Boston, and NY I think are on their level or slightly ahead. That basically buries them to the bottom of the East before they even get started.

3 Likes

Dragon you are spot on. Fully healthy I would say Indy or Miami are pretty comparable from a ceiling standpoint, Indy has Carlisle who I think gets the most out of them but Miami has Butler and Jimmy is a true star player.

1 Like

Am I stretching here… or are the Pacers sort of an NBA analogue to Virginia in college? Both very low-key and don’t get much national coverage, neither gets truly top-end talent (5-star recruits for UVA, superstars for Indiana), both are very good at developing the guys they have (for example, Deandre Hunter going from #91 in his class to #4 in the NBA draft; Paul George going from 10th overall pick to borderline MVP candidate in Indiana), both have enjoyed very consistent success. And then there’s the Malcolm Brogdon, Justin Anderson, Rick Carlisle connections.

Obvious difference is in top-end success — Pacers haven’t won an NBA title, UVA won a natty recently. I would attribute that to the fact that in college, you can win without a team full of 5-star recruits, but in the NBA, you aren’t going anywhere without a top 10 player in the league.

5 Likes

I like the Heat they put together a good and deep team. I think Spoelstra is a good coach and like you said @blguthrie they have a star in Butler, Lowery is a great second option Bam gets a little better every year, and I think Herro is going to be back in Bubble playing level.

2 Likes