Hoos Going Pro 2021-22 NBA Season

I don’t think Dre should sign for less than Keldon (4 yrs / 74 million). I suspect the Hawks are below that number and Dre is well above it.

I’m a Dre believer and if he signs 4/74 I think that will be a huge bargain by the end of it. Put some sweeteners for staying healthy…

1 Like

I think Dre fits well in “win now” mode tbh. Just needs to stay healthy.

4 Likes

I agree, I don’t think he doesn’t fit, but I do think the Hawks think they could flip him potentially for a bigger piece. And if that opportunity shows itself they will do it.

3 Likes

Only issue is they burned pretty much all of their draft capital on Murray so they can really only offer Dre + Collins

2 Likes

True, which is why having him on an expiring or a cheap deal could be more interesting. I’ll also go on record now to say I don’t think Hawks owners and leadership is talented or good at building a championship team.

4 Likes

I think Dre’s injury history is the biggest thing holding him back. Hawks seem a bit skeptical of his ability to stay healthy, but if healthy, he’s exactly the kind of 3 point shooting big wing defensive stopper with some other offensive upside that complements Young and Murray perfectly.

5 Likes

The injuries absolutely have the Hawks scared. And honestly wouldn’t be surprised if the majority of the league feels that way. It’s going to require a team with a brave training staff to lock Dre up for long term esp. at the number he is seeking.

I think Dre is nearing that dangerous game of sign a shorter, or a smaller package, out perform it and then flip it to a big deal on the backhalf of his peak.

3 Likes

Yep. On the other hand you don’t want to end up in a Denis Schroeder situation by holding out for *more money, and missing out on $80-90 million. Though Dre’s situation is related to injuries vs. performance.

2 Likes

I don’t really know nba contracts, but I wonder if the hawks can have games played metrics, or something like that. Maybe that’s against the CBA? If he stays healthy, whatever they sign him for now will be a bargain. Big “if” though…

2 Likes

Great point. Luckily I think Dre has true upside compared to Schroeder but you don’t want to be that or Sprewell for that matter.

@haney I know they can do incentives etc. And probably use games/mins/stats to sweeten the pot. But with guaranteed contracts the thing in the NBA those incentive based ones likely aren’t as favorable.

2 Likes

As a UVA and Celtics fan this is hilarious … Brown for Hunter??? In what dream world for the Hawks?? Brown is twice the NBA player Hunter is right now and not much older - 14 months.
Brown was Boston’s best player last season in the NBA Finals.
If Tatum were healthy they likely beat the Dubs.

3 Likes

In the world where JB wants out and is from Atlanta

1 Like

I guess there’s that if he values home over winning …
He has 2 more years on his current deal anyway and then will be an unrestricted FA

1 Like

I’ve heard Boston may be willing to move him because his new contract may fall on the year the salary cap is gonna spike again

Take off the Hoo colored glasses. C’s we’re going to trade him for Durant. They’re not going to trade him for Hunter

3 Likes

It wouldn’t be straight up lol

4 Likes

Not one for one. Thats not how trades usually work.

2 Likes

Dre and Rui have similar career numbers. Dre has the edge defensively but he’s still much closer to average than elite in that department.

4 years/60 mil is probably fair for player and team based on performance and history. He was coming off a hot playoffs. Will see if he can stay healthy and cash in.

1 Like

It wouldn’t make sense for hunter to be traded for Jaylen because he and Jayson tatum play the same position/role. Small 4. Why would boston pay $80 million for Tatum’s back up in return for losing Jaylen even if he wanted out.

1 Like

If Dre gets 70…80… or 110 I am equally happy for him

2 Likes