Hoos in the NBA Playoffs - Live Game Thread

I didn’t buy the Pops rumor @Benrekosh There could have been some talk or some interest, I mean who wouldn’t have interest in Pops coaching them. But honestly, I think it would have been a bad fit on a lot of levels. Feels like there could be a personality clash on some levels. I’m also not sure that Pops would want to leave SA. He’s the GM and coach there that’s a lot to walk away from, and also a big shift in roles if the Nets weren’t offering up GM responsibilities as well.

2 Likes

I get that, but I think that if anyone could control Kyrie’s personality and ego it would be pop. Kyrie’s a great player, but he’s limited himself. Him, KD, and Pop already have a great relationship from playing team USA.
Plus, the spurs are due for a rebuild. They’ve been a contender for a quarter of a century now, but that era has ended. I’m not a fan of their 2 “stars”, plus they’re old and just getting older. They need to push the reset button

True. I think it’s hard for me to see Pops wanting to start over at this stage of his career. He’s one of the older coaches in the league already and having done it his way in SA since 98/99 restarting now in NYC a media driven market feels like an odd fit for him. Again if anyone could make it work it would be him.
I agree the Spurs are in need of a rebuild. Aldrege doesn’t fit the modern NBA and Murray is not a true No.2. They have some really talented young pieces, but not sure when or how long it takes them to find their next superstar.

Agreed. He’s old, an KD and Kyrie are getting on the older side. If he’s in the win now mode I think that the nets would be a perfect fit for that. Doesn’t matter anymore tho because the nets just hired Nash
Spurs definitely need to trade their 2 old guys (Derozan and Aldridge) in return for draft picks or young players.

1 Like

Derozan is who I meant previously not Murray. Derozan and LaMarcus are cap picks at best now too late to build with either. I did lile the spread small ball spurs in the bubble.

Also SA would be a great landing spot for Mamadi

3 Likes

Agreed, Spurs got it going in the bubble.
I really think Mamadi is going to the raptors at 59. Hes a great fit there, and they need a guy that does what does. It’s not needed immediately, but their centers are getting old, and he might need a few years to adjust and improve. He’d fit in perfectly with Siakam, and do exactly what he/they need

2 Likes

Toronto would be an interesting fit. Mamadi and Serge could share similar player paths and he could serve as a good mentor for Mamadi as he adjust to life in the NBA.

2 Likes

DEFINITELY

1 Like

I do honestly believe Mamadi is the type of player who can do really well in the NBA, he just needs to find his way to a place that will give him a yr or 2 to develop.

4 Likes

I don’t think the draft slots line up, so it would have to be a trade or undrafted free agency, but what about Dallas? They have a decent collection of bigs I guess, but I love the idea of him on that team.

2 Likes

I think there needs to be some screwy stuff to happen for him to go to Dallas. But could be an interesting fit.

1 Like

On another topic, what do you think will happen with Braxton? I haven’t seen him in any mock drafts so far, and I don’t think I will. I could definitely see him getting picked up as an UDFA during the coming days after. What happens after that I assume will totally depend on how he plays in summer league. I could see him signing a G League contract to develop there for a few years then be a solid role player in the years following. Every team could use a good swiss army knife player like him.
If he wanted to be a starter now I could also see him going to play over in Europe or Asia in one of their leagues. Plenty of wahoos have done that over the last few years and have been very successful. If he develops into a good enough player he could come back and play in the US after a few years, but I don’t see that as very likely. Like in the NBA, any/every team could use an all-around guy like Brax.
What do you think?

2 Likes

I think if Braxton could get to 35% or so from 3, that he would be a really good role player off the bench, 3&D guy that impacts a winning team in many ways that won’t always show up in the box-score…I could also see Brax having a very long, productive, and lucrative career overseas…he’s set either way…

2 Likes

I love Braxton, but I just don’t think the has the shooting touch to play in the NBA. He does a ton, is an incredible defender and teammate, but to survive in the league these days you need to be able to shoot, especially at his height/where he’d be expected to play. It’d be awesome if he proved me wrong, I just don’t quite see it. I do think he could have a nice career overseas though if he wants to go that route.

4 Likes

Braxton was one of my favorite Hoos but I’m not sure the NBA is in his future. As others have said he will need to improve his shooting from the outside if he wants to land stateside. For comparison JA is a more athletic explosive and consistent player and he’s struggled to stick in the league.

I could easily see Braxton finding his way through Europe and producing at a high level for a long time should he want to.

6 Likes

He’ll always have that block on Culver and that overtime, game clinching dunk. Goddamn, how much more can a man need?

5 Likes

And that’s exactly why I love him. His overall hustle game in the National Championship was clutch. He was the unsung hero of that game

5 Likes

Nice interview with JA for those who subscribe to The Athletic.

3 Likes