Hoos in the NBA Playoffs - Live Game Thread

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1299012762002231299?s=21

2 Likes

Read that last night meeting with all the players got real real.

I think resuming play is the right call. Not because I want them to but because I think they can keep the spotlight on the real story at hand by commanding national television audiences every night. If they want to stop the season I am all for that, but Iā€™d like to see it done with purpose. Like all the players go to Washington in march/protest, or they go home to organize a series of protest in each of their home cities in a sign of solidarity. But to go home without a plan, doesnā€™t work for me.

1 Like

Very well said

1 Like

Your point is a good one, but I think it is difficult to still make a point and tell the real story by playing. The audience will be focused on the game and, when itā€™s over, those who want to ignore the playersā€™ message can. Of course, as you said, playing keeps the spotlight on the players, but I just think itā€™s incredibly difficult to find a way to transform the audience they command into results by playing.

And, really, if this is about forcing action, a strike would really be the best option as it would force the hands of those in power ā€” namely, the owners ā€” and they could set demands to play again. An incredibly complex situation, and sort of comes down to what the players are trying to get out of this

2 Likes

Totally understand and agree with your point. This is an extremely complex issue, and to expect change to right a wrong that has been in existence for over 400 years is unreasonable. As I stated before I fully understand the position the players are in. I am a black male, Iā€™ve been on the wrong end of police offers surveillance, and Iā€™ve had to go toe-to-toe with an employer to fight for justice. Itā€™s a terrible situation.

I do agree that forcing action is the most important issue at hand here. The cynic in me does not believe that staging a boycott will effectively force the owners to do anything of substance. I donā€™t believe thatā€™s in their makeup, but I hope I am wrong. The only reason I think they should remain and play is as I said they are commanding the spotlight as a league and a unified force, and they have the moment. Thatā€™s something that is highly important and can create momentum. How they wield that momentum from Florida? I donā€™t know. As I said, my fear is if they leave the bubble and the cameras go off, then we are left with only a select few being the voice of the voiceless. George Hill and Fred Van Fleet donā€™t get a national platforms to express their feelings if they arenā€™t in the bubble. The news outlets are only going to look for LeBron and co.

These are all extremely complex issues, and we need far more than 390 some odd people to change and entire culture, but already their actions are furthering the conversation which makes me think, no matter what they do, they are already making the correct decisions.

5 Likes

Very touching moment in tribute to Jackie Robinson. People noticed the NBAā€™s actions. College football players helping with the change of the Mississippi flag show how important sports are and how an athlete can use their platform to fight for those at home who cant (due to having more than one job, fear of losing job, etc.)

https://twitter.com/ace_1985/status/1299126188934418437

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1299386759453777920?s=21

2 Likes

The nod to Jackie Robinson was pretty sweet.

1 Like

What separates Donovan Mitchel and Russell Westbrook from Casey Morsell in college?

All 3 are 6ā€™3 guards with 6ā€™9 wingspans. Donovan Mitchell was ranked 29th according to 247. Casey Morsell 56th. Westbrook 134th and was a preferred walk on (turned down other offers to play at UCLA as a walk on)

I think all 3 struggled at some point with their 3 point shot in college at some point. Mitchell averaged 7.4 pts per game his first year at Louisville. Westbrook averaged 3.4 as a freshmen at UCLA.

Both improved to 12-14 points per game as sophomores and were 2 and dones.

If Caseyā€™s mental block on 3 pt shooting (he is capable and it opens up the rest of his game) ceases, does he take the same leap? I think both are more athletic than Morsell but Morsell has this midrange pull up thatā€™ automatic.

4 Likes

Russell barely played his freshman year, so may not be fair to compare.

But I think athleticism and ball handling are the biggest separations. They got to the line much more often than Casey. They also shot substantially better FG% from both 2 and 3 than Casey.

Iā€™m pulling for Casey to turn his shot around. I could see him maybe being more Devon Hall than Mitchell/Westbrook.

2 Likes

Tend to agree with @Hoohoohoo Iā€™d say overall athleticism is the first difference that jumps out. Westbrook still struggles from the field or at least he did in the later years at OKC, itā€™s less of an issue now because he basically only has to attempt layups with the Rockets system. But his athleticism is other wordly. He can get to anywhere on the court he wants to be with speed and strength. He also has a very aggressive mindset that makes him determined to get to those spots on the floor. Iā€™d say those may also be two of the hardest things to teach/learn. Mindset and athleticism.

I think Casey still has a ton of upside. As you mentioned his frame allows for a ton of potential, and we saw he can move well on defense. The shooting adjustments may take time, and unfortunately if he is to become a slasher type player, we likely wonā€™t see the full extent of that inside the Hoos offense.

4 Likes

Even without the Hoos, these playoffs have been phenominal.

Dort looks like a very similar player to Keels. Same strong frame. Dort is the better defender but Keels is a very very good 3 point shooter. Shows that his frame has the potential to be a very solid defender

4 Likes

Definitely agree, have enjoyed watching all of these games.

2 Likes

Interesting hire. Pertains to Joe and Justin who are both with the nets

3 Likes

I think I like the hire. Always liked Nash and know he spent some time working with the Warriors as a player development consultant so itā€™s not totally out of left field. If I had to guess, it may be good news for Joe and Justin. I imagine Nash will want to open the game up through tempo and spacing, which plays into their strengths especially for Joe as a spot up shooter.

6 Likes

Had they already announced they werenā€™t keeping Freshā€™s arch enemy, Jaque Vaughn? People are saying this is a KD hire.

3 Likes

I think they had made that announcement. Totally a KD hire, apparently him and Nash are tight from their time in GS. And honestly given KDā€™s history Iā€™d think the Nets would be a little more likely to give in to keep him happy.

2 Likes

Yeah theyā€™re keeping him as an assistant. Woj says heā€™ll be the leagueā€™s best compensated coach. Think heā€™s a good fit too.

1 Like

Seen stuff saying that if the hired Mike Dā€™Antoni it wouldnā€™t be totally out of no where. He coached Nash in PHX and he is basically the father of that 7 seconds type of play which I could see the nets going for, and Joe would be a crucial piece of that. Dā€™Antoniā€™s contract expires this year, and I donā€™t really see the rockets resigning him. Could definitely see him going to Brooklyn

1 Like

@BDragon What do you think about this hire vs the rumor that KD and Kyrie really wanted to sign pop. (I think he had interest in going to brooklyn too). I think he wouldā€™ve been great for that group of guys, on and off the court

1 Like