Hoos vs. Bonnies thread

Let’s go Hoos

5 Likes

Bonnies shot 10/19 from 3 (53%) vs. Oklahoma yesterday … they shoot 31.8% on the season.
Hoos shot 9/17 from 3 (53%) vs. N. Texas yesterday … they shoot 32.5% on the season

6 Likes

As mentioned elsewhere the Bonnies roll out a 4 guard line up (6’3, 6’4, 6’5, 6’5) and one big. Starters pretty much play the entire game…every game. All five scored in double figures last night. Hopefully the quick turnaround, travel and playing at JPJ returns their shooting numbers back to the mean. Gonna be a challenge again on D to stay in front of their guards and recover to shooters. Big opportunity for Garnder and yes Stats if he’s aggressive as both will have a size and strength (Gardner) advantage on whomever is guarding them. Hopefully Papi and Kadin show up (combined 3pts 2-6 FT 10 fouls lol) to keep their big in check and control the boards. Should be another rock fight, would be nice if Jayden Armaan Reece and Kihei all show up on the same night instead of 2/4 or 3/4 as has been the trend most of the season.

8 Likes

I don’t think I’ve once seen Stattmann use his size to his advantage but someone his frame is exactly what good Tony Bennett teams need. Just gives you so much lineup flexibility it’s a real shame he never panned out

5 Likes

Also as mentioned elsewhere, this is the first time we are playing the Bonnies and an opportunity for the program to pick up a win over a team we’ve never beaten before. I don’t know why, but I like the idea of collecting pelts of new teams.

The Bonnies were actually on my list of teams we’d never matched up with that I wanted to play. If you’re bored and curious about what other teams we’ve never beaten/played, I wasted time compiling that list in a post earlier this year: 2021-22 Season Look Ahead - #1048 by MaineWahoo

2 Likes

The Bonnies fan twiiter woke up straight angry at us this morning. Attacking JPJ and Mens Bball twitter. most creative award to the simple tweet of “Fu… you”

12 Likes

I am impressed you know this much about an NIT opponent the day after the previous game!

4 Likes

Why is Bonnie nation mad at us? Did I miss something?

5 Likes

I think they’re just salty their top 25 season didn’t come to be despite being promised by college hoops media, and they’re not even in the tourney, and now they’re the higher seed (sort of, the NIT doesn’t really seed past 4), and they don’t even get a home game to go to MSG.

7 Likes

They are saying they are the higher seed so should be at home etc. As we know after 4 there are no seeds and seats are better than bleachers to watch college basketball.

Your boy is gonna get em riled up here soon

16 Likes

For a second, I was thinking even the Bonnies were fed up with Stattmann’s playing time over the M’s.

6 Likes

I’m kind of loving their hostility. It was completely unexpected, but I’m glad they’re invested.

Reminds me a little of when I learned a good percentage of William & Mary fans apparently hate us. I was chatting with friends who went there and they were like “Screw UVA - you suck”, and I was taken aback because I didn’t even know we had a thing with them. It certainly sucked losing to them in football that one year, but other than that, I’d never really thought about them. But hey, I love it.

12 Likes

Absolutely love it too

My last year we played at WnM (won in OT) and they were straight wild. Felt like the entire crowd was students and their football team sat all sat on first few rows going AT us all game. Great atmosphere

6 Likes

Here’s one tweet where Bonnies fans are ON IT. See the tweet replies.

5 Likes

Reading those replies got me pumped for Tuesday. This is coming from someone who said we should decline the NIT - MSG or bust!!

9 Likes

Oh we remember. Strong move owning it!

3 Likes

I love how they’re like “COME PLAY AT OUR PLACE” as if we can just tell the NIT to change the location of the game lol

8 Likes

We got the answer (from a reply tweet from the St. Bonaventure bball account to a media member): https://twitter.com/bonniesmbb/status/1505919116649062400

Edit because it’s not embedding: UVA was the higher seed on the official NIT seed list, so they were given opportunity to host.

5 Likes

Has to go back to the old joke about whether you go to UVA or William and Mary depending on if you had friends in high school or not. I’d probably be bitter too if I were them.

6 Likes

I’m here for all the smoke from the Bonnie fans, and damn right we aren’t going to play in that rec-league gym they have up there. If you’re going to play for championships you need to play on the A court.

8 Likes