Hoos vs. Navy Season Opener

Figured I’d kick off a new thread for the season opener. I’m sure we’ll all have plenty of observations and comments. What you are most looking forward to seeing in this game?

5 Likes

Fast start. Get out quick and put them away. And good amount of time for the guys we havent seen much of like McCorckle

7 Likes

For me I’m looking forward to seeing the chemistry of the players. Basically everyone is in new roles minus Reece and Kihei so I’m looking forward to seeing how guys fit into their new roles. I’m obviously excited to see the transfer players and get a better feel for them. I also want this to be a comfortable win. Last year it felt like Tony experimented with am lot of lineups and rotations early in the season, and it led to let downs and closer games. Hope to see the team come out set the tone early then let the bench get some significant run late.

1 Like

I hope it isn’t overly stressful. Just a nice season-opening win. Sticking to my “70-55 W and everyone gets way too concerned when Navy keeps it close for a while” take from earlier this week. This is a really experienced Navy team, which probably counts for something in the early going.

Person I’m looking forward to seeing the most is Kadin — he’s had a rough first two years but I think he’ll surprise a lot of people with how good he is as a 5.

6 Likes

Youre too young to get stressed. Agree with your score. 70-50

4 Likes

Agree no need to get stressed, but the 70-50ish score feels about right.

I got a Rec volleyball match at 9EST :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to seeing JG, especially on defense.

4 Likes

Giving a cursory look at Navy’s stats and watching the highlights from the Navy game two years ago, should be a good test for the defense. They don’t seem like really a great three-point shooting team nor do they rely on it for a large share of their points (now that I say that, they’ll drop a ton of them), but they run their actions hard and try to get a lot of short twos. Will be interesting to see how the new interior combinations for us work on defense.

Player I’m most interested in watching is also Shedrick. I really want him to have a good year, and I thought it was interesting that JWilly said last night he could see Shedrick becoming one of the leaders of this team (was also mildly concerned that he said the team was super quiet and they’re still trying to push guys to be vocal leaders, but today is about positive vibes).

2 Likes

Also, if anyone wants some rough preview of their play style, here’s the condensed game from two season ago. They actually hit a fair number of difficult threes because we did a decent job keeping them out of the paint. Hopefully that doesn’t happen tonight!

Also really hope we have a good plan for their little zone defense. Three point shooting may be needed on our end early. Or, as we did when we surged in this game, we could take advantage of transition - although I never expect that going in, haha.

Edit: Also super underrated Key dunk at roughly the 3:00 minute mark. That was nasty.

3 Likes

Just looking forward to seeing Hoo basketball. Any evaluations, concerns or expectations can wait for game 2.

2 Likes

As an Air Force Academy recruiter… all service academy teams are experienced because transfers are rare and one-and-dones are non-existent.

7 Likes

That may be the most obvious and rationale and I never thought about it before.

2 Likes

I’m always excited to see the new guys on the team and how they look. But in particular, I am looking forward to seeing Armaan because I was extremely high on Armaan throughout the portal mania. It’ll be interesting to compare him to Phlandrous Fleming and Kellan Grady. Also, looking forward to seeing Kadin out there and what he can bring this year.

2 Likes

Yeah, not much change in the portal era at Navy.

1 Like

Had a really bad dream last night…and I’m serious.

Dreamed that we fell behind 14-2 to start the game. That’s when I woke up :slight_smile:

Lot of them do Prep year outta HS too, right? The coach that recruited me told me I would have to so that was a nonstarter ha

1 Like

Go back to sleep bruh!

7 Likes

Fresh with the high n tight hair cut? No way.

1 Like

This is for the opener and not recruiting, right?

9 Likes