Hoos vs. Navy Season Opener

Is Navy always a zone team? If so, oh man, that stinks. I’m so geeked up for the season opener, but I really don’t want my first glimpse of the team (especially this team, with perimeter shooting being the question mark) to be against a zone.

I’ve been geeked up all offseason to see what kind of offense we run and who’s running more ball screens and whether Reece can make things happen off the dribble, and it turns out we have to face a zone? Oh man. Ban the zone.

1 Like

Probably, but if he’s gonna commit it would do the staff a solid to do it before the season starts…

4 Likes

Was what I was thinking too. Would really make for a great day to knock that commit out and get the season opener.

2 Likes

I’m interested in seeing the offensive sets CTB runs. I’m sure we will see plenty of sides, but curious to see the mix of sets and the results.

2 Likes

I will fully admit, I do not know the answer to this, but last night JWilly said something akin to “last time they played us, they threw a lot of that zone at us” - I’m very loosely paraphrasing. The way it was said made me think it wasn’t something they are always doing and maybe it isn’t their base defense, but is a look they’ll use frequently if it’s working (which I think it did against that 19-20 offensively challenged UVA squad).

2 Likes

Per 3MW: “ DeChellis will throw in some zone and full-court press looks to spice things up with his traditional man-to-man …”. Phew.

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to four things:

1. Just having basketball back!
  2. Seeing Gardner in action (though will be more important against ACC-level competition)
  3. Finding out if we have any shooters
  4. Understanding if we have enough depth

May not find out all the answers tonight, but should be fun!

3 Likes

Hmm zone and full court press? I think we know what we will likely see a good spattering of tonight given the amount of shooting the Hoos have lost.

4 Likes

I’ll go ahead and predict a rock fight: 62-50, with Jayden as the leading scorer with like 15. Kihei-Reece-Armaan is a pretty formidable perimeter defense lineup, and Navy has been a low-3pt volume, low-assist rate team that does its damage on the boards, so I’m guessing they’re going to try to get into the lane off the dribble, but I think that’s pretty favorable for our personnel.

3 Likes

I know the answer is probably we have no info, but anybody know if Stattmann will be suited up for the game tonight? Hope he is healthy.

1 Like

Yes… Air Force/Army/Navy all have a prep school on site for about 200 - 250 cadets/midshipmen. ~1/3 are prior enlisted members prepping to go to USAFA, ~1/3 are diversity recruiting candidates & ~1/3 are recruited athletes. Not all athletes do a prep year… if you already have the grades to meet admission standards, then they don’t make you do that.

3 Likes

Looking forward to our post guys operating down low! Almost always is an area you can exploit the service academies and is supposed to be an area of emphasis for us this year. Should conservatively get at least 30 from the Gardner, Shedrick, and Caffaro group tonight.

2 Likes

Nothing on the latest injury report, but not sure how recent this is:

2 Likes

Might be a good thing to ease Taine into the college game. Simple role: let Reece and Kihei penetrate and take the open jumper when they kick it to you.

2 Likes

Just re-read through the San Francisco game thread just to mentally prepare myself for the worst possible scenario.

Also, @ElliottHoo with the early stamp of approval for the Clark-Beekman lineup. Blissfully unaware that this was a topic that would come up frequently the rest of the year….and into the next.

8 Likes

I’m excited that UVA hoops are back. This year’s team is pretty much an unknown commodity. This is the kind of team that’s going to be fun watching them grow into a force. This is where TB does his best work. I want to see which of the new guys or Carson steps up and becomes an important part of the rotation. But what I’m going to love is seeing Reece and Kadin becoming studs.

6 Likes

OH MY GOD, IT WAS ME!

I’m so sorry, everyone.

7 Likes

Anyone else expect a close challenging game? I think this one will be a stressful start to the season. But also don’t think it’ll be a fools gold type of game like the first game last season

2 Likes

Excited about lots. Wanna see Taine, Millicic, Gardner, Franklin mostly. Expecting high scorer to be Shedrick with 13 pts and 4 blocks. Clark starts slowly on 2-9 shooting. Reece efficient at 4-5. Final 63-49. Go Hoos!

2 Likes

Who gives up more points the Hoos tonight, or the football team last time they took the field?

2 Likes