In-season Basketball Recruiting 2022-2023

Same for me.

Edit: as you know I wasnt arguing. Just different ways to measure

1 Like
1 Like

Northwestern and Tennessee the top two for Cameron Carr according to Graf, who was at the Texas event and chatting up people.

2 Likes

Where my #ShaedonSimpsonSupremacy people at?

1 Like

Two kids who may or may not be on the radar that I would be more than down with us going after.

This guy, Isaiah Otyaluk, was listed at 6-6 but apparently heā€™s closer to 6ā€™9 now. A little raw but oozing with potential. A sleeper in the 2024 north carolina class but heā€™s able to reclass to 2023 (and redshirt of course). I thought he was under the radar under the radar, but I was wrong as Jamie shaw and a few national guys started following him in the last few weeks. Recently took an unofficial to NC State.

From Durham and I think I saw his team played the team coached by Trey Murphyā€™s dad. Also had 16 points against Dillione and Word of God.

Troy McKoy Jr. Big combo guard. Not super long and not super explosive (but athletic). But his key trait is that he takes the basketball and puts it in the hoop. Pure Bucket Getter. A ā€œDAWGā€ one might say. Drew a lot of twitter commotion when he scored 42 points a few nights ago. Scored like 22 points in a win vs Oak Hill (idk if @bfmcap was at that game. This kid plays for Massanutten Academy here in Virginia). Coincidentially my third video in to watching his highlights and I saw Coach Williford under one of the rims watching him. No idea if it was for him or just wasting time at an event. Pitt and NC State on him. Another 2024 kid who can reclass to 2023. Was originally up north (below are some highlights from a 21pt performance against Reid Ducharme and Brewser Academy)

3 Likes

I wasnā€™t at the OHA games in Roanoke. I asked about McCoy and told didnā€™t see him as a big program guy. Still a couple of weeks away from getting Russo Nance back on the court.

1 Like

I feel like thatā€™s the 2014-2019 UVA special LOL. And weā€™ve been getting our ass whooped by ā€œdont see him as a big programā€ guys for the last few years.

All the more valuable in the age of NIL and portal

1 Like

Iā€™m torn on what to think about if Carr goes to Northwestern. Not that I know that he will. On one hand, I respect sticking with the school that took notice and wanted him without having to miss out on other players first. Thatā€™s usually the way to go. On the other, it feels like heā€™d mostly be picking them because of his familyā€™s relationship with an assistant coach. And I donā€™t think itā€™s ever a good idea to pick a school because of an assistant coach.

15 Likes

We right here.

1 Like

Lol these look like highlights from an LA Fitness/24 Hour Fitness

1 Like

There might be other considerations which no one here has explored. He may want to attend an elite academic school in a large metropolitan setting. Northwestern is the only school among his five which meets those criteria. His recruitment took off so late, and he and his family have been so circumspect about the things which might be determining factors, that I am unsure if anyone in the media has a real handle on what his choice might be. I remain ignorantly hopeful.

2 Likes

Then why are the other 4 in contention in the first place?

What do any of the schools in contention have in common? It is a very diverse group. There are two academically elite schools (Northwestern & Virginia). The other three are pretty mediocre. Tennessee and Louisville have acceptance rates north of 75%. Kansas State accepts 96% of applicants. Three schools are in large metropolitan centers. Two are in smaller towns. Virginia and Tennessee have enjoyed recent success on the court. Northwestern has one NCAA tournament appearance in its entire history. Louisville has enjoyed some success, and struggles, even though a bit tainted. Four different power conferences are represented. I donā€™t see a common thread holding these schools together.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s just the best 5 offers he has.
The overall quality drops quickly.

Edit to include link:
https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Cameron-Carr-158776/RecruitInterests/

3 Likes

To put that into more context, look at the dates of the offers. Kansas State was the only P6 offer he had before September 1st (although Northwestern has probably been recruiting as long or longer). July 24th was the day the offers exploded, but they were mostly mid-majors. Virginia offered at the end of September, and Tennessee a few days later. Supposedly, Louisville came after that. Regardless, his best offers, and four of his final five, came after Labor Day.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve always wondered about the 247 site. Does Cool, Warm, Hot reflect the *recruits interest in these schools, or the schools interest in the recruit? I ask this because all of those schools are ranked as COOL, but heā€™s got to like atleast *one of those schools more than the rest lol.

Interest in the school, I think, but I think it has a pretty low information value. Often times it will correspond to the top 5 or 3 or whatever if the recruit has made that cut recently, but not always.

3 Likes

Yeah I would 100% ignore those designations on any profile. They arenā€™t kept up to date with any regularity. And any of the 247 staff can change them so thereā€™s no way to know if the info is set by an Eric Bossi or some jabroni running the Eastern Michigan site.

7 Likes

TLDR: Never found it usefulā€¦or even scriptable. I ignore those entirely. Also, I was very tardy to the reply party.

I think it would be nearly impossible to maintain day-to-day accuracy on the leanings of kids and schools who may not want that info known at all. Seems like a cool idea, but itā€™s garbage in practice.

2 Likes

On3 (basically Jamie Shaw) updated their 23 ranking. Buchanan and Gertrude up to 52 and 59. Hehehehe

14 Likes