In-season Basketball Recruiting 2022-2023

RT’ed by HGN.

4 Likes

@Hooandtrue @HoozGotNext Is Weingarten the guy who makes up his own rankings? We need a national standardization of recruiting rankings.

1 Like

Seems pretty slow and no ability to guard on the perimeter.

Hard pass. Already have Buchanan. Need a 6’9/6-10 Trey Murphy or Mamadi Diakite type in the front court. need athletic quickness and the ability to shoot the three in the front court.

5 Likes

Agreed. If the concern is having another front court player next year, I’d rather just get a portal guy than get a freshman just so he can fill a role for a year when you might not necessarily love him long term.

1 Like
1 Like

I like having 7 footers to redshirt.

3 Likes

I actually like Pierce as a player, but his skillset is way too close to BB’s for me to really understand taking a flier on him instead of going after an athletic and versatile 4 man. I think we’re far past the days of needing two back to the basket bigs playing at the same time.

6 Likes

Blake and Eli both top 60 in new ON3 rankings

1 Like

What I remember about Braden Pierce is that back in April, TB and Soderberg took in one of his AAU games. It was memorable to me less about Pierce than they were missing freshly offered Cam Christie vs Silas DeMary on the next floor. Was the first clue that UVA wouldn’t be very serious about either of them.

That said and I repeat this ever year…pay little attention to seniors that get talked about during the season. At least not to the specific names. What it reveals though is the type of players they’ll be in the market for next spring. So those clamoring for a big man, they’re thinking the same thing. Only it’ll most likely be a transfer. Until then they have to work with what’s available.

8 Likes

Salt, Caffaro, Pierce. There must always be one.

4 Likes

Working under the assumption that Cedric stays but Papi goes, I’d spend some time scouting the possible grad transfer centers out of the Ivy League this season.

Both baseball and football (and maybe other sports) have shown Ivy League grad transfers are receptive to the UVA pitch. And their top grad transfer center is usually a decent player.

4 Likes

Not sure if he is a center by Jailen gainey from brown comes to mind from this year

2 Likes

You mean a raw stiff who can develop into an experienced stiff? I kid, I kid. I used to clamor for a zero Salt diet but I admit he was essential to victory in certain games during the Natty season.

2 Likes

I noticed that Vandross started following that Thomas Sorber kid from philly who I think is a Williford kid (recruiting wise). The 2024 center who said he wants to decide before the spring. Wonder if he is a reclass and redshirt candidate.

Me personally Im all about fliping Brandon Gardner from St Johns if he is on the “not signing in the fall” list. He’s bouncy, probably Jayden Gardner’s cousin im guessing, and was on Elijah Gertrude’s team in that New Jersey event. Bruiser 6’8 forward known for being tenacious around the rim and also has a 7ft wing span on top of bounce.

Him or Kaleb Glenn

He’s also one of the last recruits the UVA twitter page followed back when they were doing that (it feels like now it’s just kids who already committed and its the coaches only who follow players of interest now)

Perfect glue guy/versatility to match with Traudt/Buchanan at the 5 in the front court.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Figured as much before hand. He was posting a lot more tennessee instagram stories after his visit there. Also don’t think, outside Duke or UNC, any ACC school is beating an $EC school in a recruiting battle.

Never was a fan of him/like Shaedon Simpson more. Plenty of wings in the area I like more; need that tough and aggressive mentality on both ends of the floor. He’s kind of a softy and doesn’t really do much creating his own. 7ft wingspan is 7 ft wingspan though.

4 Likes

Well, as evident last night, we need to start landing some of these wings asap to pair w McKneely Dunn Bond and Gertrude. Man I hope they all pan out and we get a stud pg. future is bright

8 Likes

Seems like a great kid but made a big mistake here

2 Likes

As we know from following UVA basketball, some great recruits have a year 2 change of heart Some of our legends include Anthony Gill, Braxton Key (say goodnight in my best Bill R voice). So, please do not make negative comments.

5 Likes

It’s the reality. Also I doubt kids waste their time on boards like this. Also if he’s transferring it’s somewhere that will give him money or a midmajor to get minutes if he’s not getting them at Tennessee.

3 Likes