šŸ› Introduction for new member (Hav's Playground)

Thats kinda amazing.

1 Like

Its summer yall And if you have young kids that arent spending time with personal trainers or catching lightning bugs thats on you

10 Likes

It was.

Of course, Adrian Joseph was from T&T but he was from Trinidad.

When we were flying down there from JFK, a girl got on with a UVA hoodie but she stayed on in Tobago when we got off the plane. So she was probably on her way to Trinidad.

3 Likes

In between marriages several years ago i started dating this girl and on what i think was our 3rd date i was wearing UVa gear and got asked a similar question. That was our last date. Some things cross the line.

4 Likes

Funny whwn I first moved to Ireland i took a trip to Inis Mein small island no cars etc Gaelic was the firsr language. I go to thebonly pub on the isle sat down order a beer the bartender starts chatting me up she sees my UVa shirt her daughter graduated from Virginia in the late 90s.

10 Likes

If I wear my old school sweatshirt with the UVa giant orange V on it up near my extended family in Phillyā€¦ they all ask me why Iā€™m wearing a weird Villanova sweatshirt.

4 Likes

Not throwing down lik @BDragon, but with an empty nest and just my petite wife to feed, a classic cedar plank works.

9 Likes

Oh man I dunno that looks amazing.

1 Like

Semi related and very odd topic, but in Maine we have a bunch of towns named after countries (as Iā€™m sure many states do). Thereā€™s a Poland, Sweden, Denmark, Peru, China, Norway, etc.

One summer in high school I was working with a kid and we were chatting and he said ā€œYeah, last summer I went to summer camp in China.ā€ I naturally replied, ā€œWow, thatā€™s amazing. Did you learn any of the language?ā€ And he just stared at me like I was an idiot. Then he said ā€œNo, China, Maine.ā€ I just said ā€œOh come on, that is not the default China.ā€ He did not agree.

Anyway, thereā€™s an exciting story for everyone. Have a good night!

5 Likes

In upstate NY, there is a Homer and an Ovid. I swear I have a memory as a child driving up on back roads to see my dadā€™s fam in Rochester, and there was a sign that said Homer defeats Ovid (presumably HS football) 7-0.

6 Likes

I remember when I was driving from Charlottesville to San Francisco after college, I either passed through or stopped for a night in Cuba, Missouri.

I actually canā€™t think of cities or towns or counties in VA named after countries. Lots named the same as English cities or towns, but not countries.

2 Likes

Lebanon, VA

4 Likes

Itā€™s not a country, but there is a Java, Virginia, in Pittsylvania County. This is nowhere near on topic, but also in Pittsylvania, if you drive north on Route 29 from Danville toward Chatham, youā€™ll pass through Tightsqueeze and then Climax.

7 Likes

Graves Mountain Lodge in Syria VA just outside of CVille. Do not know of an Aleppo though

4 Likes

I just Google searched cities in the US with country names as it was an interesting questionā€¦ and not many in Virginia, but more than I was expecting

Angola - Angola, NY & Angola, Indiana
Brazil - Brazil, Indiana
Cuba - Cuba, Missouri (as mentioned by @4547Lambeth )
Lebanon - Lebanon, Tennessee & Lebanon, Missouri (it doesnā€™t mention the Virginia town mentioned above by @Hoohoohoo)ā€¦ also mentioned New Labanon, Pennsylvania
Mexico - Mexico, Maine & Mexico, Missouri
Morocco - Morocco, Indiana
Panama - Panama City, Florida (possibly?)
Peru - Peru, Nebraska; Peru, Illinois; Peru, New York; Peru, Indiana; Peru, Kansas; Peru, Pennsylvania; Peru, Vermont; Peru, Maine; Peru, Iowa; Peru, West Virginia (What is up w/ Peru? It definitely wins)
Singapore - Singapore, Michigan

1 Like

Pronounced Lebnin by the locals.

4 Likes

I forgot to mention Iā€™m working on an IT modernization project in Beirutā€¦ Iā€™ll be in Lebanon next month!

4 Likes

Michigan just got a recruit from Lebanon (the country, not the town). Heā€™ll play against us next year. Looks like he might be decent.

4 Likes

Yea the Tightsqueeze comes before Climax

2 Likes

In NBA news, Skip Bayliss trying to pick fights with Westbrook and Draymond is hilariousā€¦ I canā€™t wait to see how this plays out. Throw Barkley into that four person podcast and it would be epic.

3 Likes