Isaac McKneely is a Hoo!

TYVM for the clarification – good to know!

1 Like
9 Likes

Is it too early to tell if he will be redshirted or not?

As long as Isaac’s healthy, he won’t be redshirting.

9 Likes

It’ll be interesting to have taken a SG in 4 straight classes - Morsell, McCorkle, Murray, and now McNeely. I think early playing time may be limited for Issac, especially if JAR can lock down the starting role at the 3 by then.

The counter argument would be that Morsell and maybe Murray could be considered that “power guard” role and play the 3 and defend small forwards like a Brogdon or a Devon Hall. Either way, McNeely looks like he’d be good enough to contribute off the bench his 1st year.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m just happy we are getting ball handlers and perimeter scorers. We just need two more Mama- D’s and Braxton Keys, who if we recall were very high 4 star recruits, so not exactly the easiest to find all of the time…

1 Like

Point guard? :thinking:

1 Like

If ACC Content says it it must be true

6 Likes

Ive been calling it since the beginning he can be our jamal murray.

Probably not what the staff are envisioning LOL whenever I bug @HoozGotNext about it. But I see it.

3 Likes

There was also this Borzello tweet talking about McKneely playing more of a lead-guard role, at least in this setting.

6 Likes

I dunno if this is the specific case for McKneely’s AAU team, but the best guard on a team in this setting often ends up in an on-ball role, even if they are better off-ball. Top-75 guys don’t always have opportunities to run off pindowns and other screens in HS and AAU.

3 Likes

To be clear I think he will do some distribution in the same way Kyle Guy did. But we clearly recruit for the point guard spot and he’s not gonna fill that role

4 Likes

From The Athletic’s CJ Moore after last weekend’s Adidas event;

“One other player worth mentioning is Virginia-bound Isaac McKneely , a 6-4 combo guard. McKneely had the best combination of shooting, handle and feel of the guards I saw this weekend. He doesn’t quite have the vision and passing ability of former Cavaliers guard Ty Jerome, but he can slash and shoot like Jerome could and he’s a more explosive athlete. Virginia fans are going to love him.”

14 Likes

Nice to read… But also reminds that Ty was really something special.

9 Likes

This may be why we backed off Nunez… If he can play PG, it will add a ton of flexibility to the roster.

4 Likes

Every time this thread pops to the top of the list I get confused and think Traudt committed.

I’m just ready for Isaac Squared to happen.

19 Likes

HGN essentially warned us not to get caught up in any McKneely PG hype. He’ll be a secondary ballhandler for us. Most of these AAU teams have their best guard handle the ball but it typically doesn’t translate to being a PG in college. Doubt Isaac will spend many minutes without a true PG on the court with him.

6 Likes

I think you’re spot on - if anything the shift to looking at a 2023 pg instead is probably from the increasing likelihood that Kihei stays.

5 Likes

Internal sources say that they are not likely to want anyone to play 5 years - Clark, Stattmann, Caffaro.
They want to cycle to next group. Only technical exception is McCorkle who I don’t really consider as having played last year.

4 Likes

Interesting because that’s not what HGN, Brad Franklin, or Oakes are reporting from their sources. Plus TB hasn’t really been spotted looking at 2022 PGs so far during live periods.

6 Likes