⛹ Ishan Sharma - Official Thread

Aww man now Im nostalging over the 2019-2020 season. And I remember being miserable about that season right until that february uptrend. Things were just clicking. And then FSU decided to annoint themselves ACC champions… embarrassing on their end.

7 Likes

Ladies and gentlemen…
wegothim

12 Likes

That Woldo shot to beat UNC in Chapel Hill is one of my all-time favs. Tony’s reaction was absolute classic.

24 Likes

I kind of love that season. The championship meant I would be happy no matter what, but then it was fun to watch us experiment with creating the most stifling defense and awful offense of all time. People talk about dragging other teams into the mud, but we were drowning them in it, nearly drowning ourselves, and it was a glorious terrible grind.

So wanted to see what would have happened in the NCAAs. We probably weren’t going far with no shooting, but you never know - Mamadi had some magic.

18 Likes

Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

4 Likes

I drink an Elsinore to this commitment hosers!
Rick Moranis Beer GIF by Warner Archive
And can we stop comparing him to Hokies, even if accurate?

10 Likes

Someone can fact check me, is Sharma the second ever Indian person to play D1 hoops? We played the first two seasons ago during one of the cupcake matchups - pretty cool

2 Likes

Sim Bhullar the giant dude who played for NMSU was also Indian but born in Canada like I’m assuming Sharma was.

1 Like

Woldo should have played ALOT more in his last year here.

6 Likes

Here’s a pretty lengthy interview with him from June. Note what he says about the best advice he’s ever received. Q&A

4 Likes
15 Likes

My only take away from this stream is that high school kids suck lol. The stream jumped in when it was 10-2. Sharma hit two free throws. Picked up a foul and went to the bench and his team is up like 20 pts and he hasn’t been in since (#6). Which leads me to my next quibble. Why cant these coaches realize that they should be playing their UVA recruits 40 minutes a game so we can analyze them?

12 Likes

Sharma is not a better 3 point shooter out of HS than Ty was

2 Likes

He literally is. 45% from 3 over the entire spring/summer on over 100 attempts. It really isn’t close

3 Likes

Not all shots are created equal though. Kyle Korver and Steph Curry have very similar 3p percentages, but I don’t think anyone would say they are in the same class of shooter. Maybe they’re taking similar shots at that point in their career, but I suspect Sharma is taking a lot of catch and shoot whereas Ty was launching off the dribble

2 Likes

I think both statements are probably true. Sharma’s stats are likely better than Ty/Guy’s out of HS but I highly doubt he’s a better raw shooter than those two were. Ty took a lot of DEEP 3’s off the dribble in his highlights.

But at the same time that’s a very unrealistic standard to live up to, that duo was quite literally the best shooting backcourt in our program’s history. The fact of the matter is this dude can clearly shoot it at a high clip, which is a need in our offense, and hopefully that translates during his time in our uniform.

10 Likes

That’s a fair point and the first thing that came to my mind in thinking of where @DFresh11 is coming from. I do think Sharma shows some shooting pull up off screens and when a man goes under and some deep shots. I dont think Sharma will impact the game like Jerome does, because he doesn’t have that craftiness or pure pg vision. He has the potential to develop into a nice secondary ball handler.

If he can give us a Woldotensae presence off the bench or in the starting line up Ill be through the roof.

6 Likes

Who you going to believe my opinion or those pesky statistics that you cite? :grinning:

1 Like

Ha. Ok

Im still pissed that we are at half time and Ive seen Sharma play literally 1 minute. Unreal

5 Likes