Jay Wright Retiring

Wow programs taking Ls all over. Hold on to CTB tight Hoo fans

9 Likes

Rumor going around that Musselman is getting jay wright to transfer in as an assistant coach. Musselman will have all the talent he is a black hole.

Pre-edit: I started this rumor.

8 Likes

Can’t even find clips on patterson this year cause he played so little cause of super seniors and tight rotation.

But this is promising still.

Dude was a 6’6 forward going into college and grew into 6’8/6’10 (he’s literally villanova’s tallest player). Still adjusting to his new body and determine what his role and skills to emphasize are. Half their fan base wasn’t sure if he would wait it out for his senior year where he may be best and half of them wanted him to start next season lol.

Ill take him to develop behind Jayden and pair with Traudt thank you.

2 Likes

Also Brandon Slater? He’s from Centreville VA.

Apparently Kyle Neptune recruited all the kids on the roster so jk

2 Likes

Damn. Start the coaching search now. Got to think that Tony can’t be far behind. Prob will to watch his son play his senior season when it comes.

5 Likes

What’s the origin story of this? Was it reported somewhere that he told McKneely he’d be around for his 4 years? Just a rumor?

1 Like

May be worth its own thread (if we can even stomach the thought) but if within the next 5 years Tony walks, who would y’all be satisfied with as the next man up??
I disagree with the thought that the moment Tony walks away we’ll crumble to pieces. I think Tony has built this program into something that lasts, just like he said he would the day he came here. It’s an attractive job.

4 Likes

Tony is the GOAT and one of my favorite human beings. Me and friend ran across him as he was dropping a suit off at JPJ and he spent 10-15 minutes chatting us up (I think he was just thankful we weren’t talking about basketball/I didnt want to bother him with that). An incredibly genuine person and so perfect for what UVA is and what UVA fans want.

If he walked away though, that would be because he is admitting that he is not the best for us in this new wild west of college basketball. And it’s horrible to even think about losing Tony, but at the same time it would be him doing us a service like Roy letting Hubert operate. I think Williford is a good fit; of course you do due diligence with a national search as well.

But I think Tony can be king in this new era
-We do have an NIL program being set up which helps with Cavaliers Future
-Players who are NIL forefront (over development/what UVA has to offer/nothing wrong with NIL but making it the priority) are self-filtering and Tony knows upfront not to waste his time. Also allows him to focus on his bread and butter 75-150 ranked kids.
-All these schools emphasizing recruiting the portal = more HS kids for Tony to recruit and he might even land his first 5 star if other places are full or dont offer clear paths with transfer recruits ahead of them
-Trey Murphy, Braxton Key, Sam Hauser and Anthony Gill allows us to get our “5 star” in the portal especially when roster opportunity is present.

5 Likes

Exactly- why are people trying to already dismiss Tony when he hasn’t said anything about retiring and maybe looks as this is a major benefit in recruiting the DMV again.

Stop putting TB in retirement so soon!

8 Likes

I don’t know, Tony may just be competitive enough to stay at it.

3 Likes

When Isaac Committed and they did their podcast appearances his mom said Tony promised Isaac’s parents he would be at UVA for Isaac’s entire career. I’m being somewhat TIC when I act like that’s a binding agreement but if it was a serious promise I don’t see Tony going back on it.

5 Likes

If Ritchie McKay is still coaching and we want to stay in the Bennett circle he’s the obvious short term solution. Longer term I like Craig Smith if he does well at Utah.

1 Like

Niko Medved (sees Dick B as a mentor) or TJ Otzelberger (friend of Tony). I will not be a happy camper if we keep it in house for sentimental reasons. I’d take Ritchie over Willy, but there’s a better than good chance we’d be stuck in Turgeon-level mediocrity with him.

3 Likes

How about we keep it in house and let Ty Jerome come coach :wink:

He has plenty of experience from those two NBA top 100 camps

6 Likes

Yeah, my first thought was Richie

Hard to see the timing work for that, but if there is someone that Tony signs off on wholeheartedly, I hope they accept the recommendation without hesitation.

Ty Jerome and Justin Anderson as co-coaches is the obvious answer.

9 Likes

Yeah even with Ty’s pro career not going super well, you assume he will get at least another shot of 3 years or so. Then - even if we wanted to hire a young, all time great, we would want him to have some coaching experience. Even on the low side we would want 5-8 years on a coaching bench somewhere. Although someday hiring someone like Jerome would certainly open up donor pockets if I had to guess.

Not for senitmental reasons. For his coaching chops being tony’s assistant for 10+ season and his recruiting connections that he would actually be able to use.

I also think Williford is the best fit for where college basketball is going. He would be able to adapt to the changes in the game both on and off the court.

2 Likes