Jay Wright Retiring

That I really can’t answer, but Otzelberger navigated the transfer portal pretty well. I’m not sure the game is headed where we think. At some point, college presidents will push for a governing body to enforce rules. NIL is great but booster pay-for-play (either to recruit or retain guys against G-league/Europe offers), which this has quickly turned into, is a farce. The NCAA seems to have thrown up their hands in protest, so they should be shown the door, but someone needs to come in and start levying serious penalties against the offenders.

3 Likes

I think my actual opinion (as opposed to what I think will happen with what Ive said above) is somewhere in the middle.

Conduct a national search and if no one is enticing, make Williford interim for a year. And after that hire him or do another national search.

I’m going to be depressed if our next coach is 8 games under .500 in the ACC his first 8 years. I loved
JJ at the time but he just isn’t comparable to what we’ve grown accustomed to in Bennett. Few are, but we should at least shoot to find another one rather than recreating JJ 2.0.

1 Like

I don’t see it.

Just back in and seeing this now. Wow.

If we are doing a “You can go out there and get anyone” I would want Todd Golden but Florida would a B&$%# and a half to poach him from.

I also have my eye on Kim English. Showed a lot of flashes early on and if he can get top 150 kids at George Mason…

The amount of discussion of Tony potentially leaving and us having to replace him is making me sad. CTB forever! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

back then 500 got you an auto bid from the ACC… ACC was no joke! In his first 5 years, 4 trips to the NCAA, a sweet 16, an elite 8, 1 ACC regular season title, an ACC finals trip and an NIT chip the one year they didn’t make it. Recruited, arguably, our best class, followed by a solid 2nd year class and 2 McD AA’s a year after that. Another great class coming in, but that one fell apart and that’s all it took to sink the ship.

2 Likes

No question Jones first 5 years were better than Tony’s…. Always wonder what if he had gotten 13 years like Tony has so far.

1 Like

edit edit edit ! Thank you

1 Like

Well the reason he got the Mickey D’s was because of the ACC association, so JJ benefitted as much as the detriment of a more difficult league. And while the extramarital affair / Melvin Whittaker class ultimately sunk him, it’s a bit of an indictment that he went 11-19 with 2 McDonald’s AA as seniors.

Holy crap, you cannot be serious. But if so, your unabashed ignorance of context (the situations each inherited, where their programs were headed, etc) is astounding.

1 Like

Please show me each guy’s records and accomplishments their first 5 years at UVA.
Including post season.
Persuade me That I’m wrong

1 Like

I just cracked an CL for this one. Its almost personal on both fronts

3 Likes

I think you guys are debating two different issues LOL.

Jeff Jones first 5 years were better than Tony’s

Tony inherited a completely different situation than Jones. Programs were in much different spots at their respective times and Tony faced a much larger rebuild in a different ACC and different phase of college basketball.

focusing back on the Jay Wright/next coach

Williford
Otzelberger
Colorado State’s coach
Maybe Kim English depending on how he does at Mason
Todd Golden

Who else?

Modern version: have twitch stream be the next coach? Like that “Twitch plays pokemon” stream where the game was connected to the chat and whatever buttons were typed would be the action in the game. Like if someone typed “Up” the player would move up and if someone else typed “down” they went down. It was madness

Actually 3 McD AA’s on that team, but losing the 4 guys from that one class depleted the team, and it wasn’t going anywhere with a 1st year Donald Hand, and Chezley Watson running point and Ducharme as our 4. When the wheels came off, it was brutal.

1 Like

Great point BUT JJ recruited new assistants that recruited BIG time recruits and signed them. He went next level then in an unreal ACC

There is no bigger TB fan than me but yall know JJ is my guy so…

2 Likes

Eli or Anna Bennett. Kind of a family tradition to pass the torch, no?

5 Likes

I will post this here as well as the 4/13 intel thread.

I hear everyone, & def respect all the opinions but everyone writing CTB’s coaching eulogy because Jay Wright retired is kinda loopy imo.

9 Likes

Agreed. Wright is 60, and everyone is shocked because he’s so young to retire. Bennett will be 53 in June. Now in 2029, when Kihei completes his 12th year as starting point guard, then I’ll get worried for TB’s future.

14 Likes